Racers Edge glow plugs

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

[email protected]

My local hobby shop has given up on carrying McCoy in favor of the newer O'Donnell's and Racers Edge plugs.

I've tried the O'Donnells and they were good for the little 3.5 o/b, .21 and my .45 PIP but not the .67's and the 90's.

They are swearing by the Racers Edge so I bought some 3's, 4's and 5's. The 5's are the equivelent of the McCoy 9's.

I'm starting to see this trend here in the San Fran area of the hobby shops not carrying McCoys.

What are you paying for glow plugs?? I just ordered some from Bill McGraw. Only $2.25 each for MC-9's in quantities over 100. Needless to say I ordered 100........... :D

Hey Don I don't think you realy want to know what there selling the O'Donals for around here :blink: I think you could buy 2 or 3 of the others brands for what one cost... :angry: Have any of you Guys out there tryed the Rossi Plugs?? If so how do they compare to the Mc coys 8's - 9's...See'en some on sale last year on the Tidewater web site for 1.50 ea in lots of 100...was tempted to buy some but I never run them before,and was raceing Scale and Sports,didn't want to wast my money on them.....

Roy I'll tell you one thing, I have not found any justification for paying the excessive prices of O'Donnell's anything. I tried the fuel, zero performance gain & it stains the crap out of anything it touches. Ditto on the plugs, a couple were given to me to test once & they are no better or worse than the McCoy's I've run for years. Personally I think it's all a bunch of hype & not much more, at least as far as boats are concerned. I know in recent years people have said the McCoy plugs aren't as good as they used to be. Well here's a tip- if you are not pre-heating the plug out of the package when new that is the source of most of the supposed McCoy problems. They (McCoy) went to a thicker winding a number of years ago & when it's wound to form the coil it gets brittle. Preheating the plug when you first take it out of the pack, then letting it cool before you run it anneals (softens) the wire making them less likely to break the windings when first run. Thank 'ol Rod Geraghty for that one, he turned me on to that about 4 or 5 years ago. Cut my "defective" plug losses to about nothin' .......... B)

Last edited by a moderator:
Racers Edge $5.00

O'Donnell's $5.49

McCoy's $4.49

K&B's $4.19

O.S. $5.99

My Local hobby shop is a frickin rip off.

No, I don't pay those prices, I have other resources to get them. My LHS kicked me down some O'Donnell's and gave me 1/2 price on the racers Edge in hopes that I'd spread the word....... :ph34r:

Don,

Tell me how to pre heat my McCoy's??????

Racers Edge $5.00O'Donnell's $5.49

McCoy's $4.49

K&B's $4.19

O.S. $5.99

My Local hobby shop is a frickin rip off.

No, I don't pay those prices, I have other resources to get them. My LHS kicked me down some O'Donnell's and gave me 1/2 price on the racers Edge in hopes that I'd spread the word....... :ph34r:

Don,

Tell me how to pre heat my McCoy's??????
Those prices are way out of line. I sell McCoy 9's for between $2.60 and $2.75 per plug depending on the quantity you order. I dont get as good a price as say Rossi Sales so my prices are a bit higher.

As Don states to anneal your plug element simply take it from the package straight to your glow bee and heat it up, its now ready for use. I have been doing this for at least 7 years and I have not broken any elements.

Ron

"Don,

Tell me how to pre heat my McCoy's??????"

Basically, when you first take a new plug out of the package, screw it into your motor & tighten like normal. Put your glow driver on the plug for about 15-20 seconds & then take it off. Let plug cool down for about a minute or so & that's it. :)

As for LHS prices, keep in mind they don't buy them by the thousands like say Cindy Z. of Al's Hobbies or Bill McGraw does. The LHS buys them buy the few dozen, they pay more so you pay more. :rolleyes:

boys

call phil's hobbyshop in ft. wayne IN 48 plugs are about 2.30 ea. plus s&h. i think he gives better discounts on the more you buy. talk to steve @ 260-426-5056. he will hook you up!!!!

jon

Last edited by a moderator:
Back when there was a shortage of MC-9's, the LHS's had the Dynamite plugs (the same **** thing) for $10.99 a pair! It must have been that Dynamite was buying them all up then repackaging them and upping the price. Phil's has them also with great prices but as they told me, if I want some, order directly from them and don't buy them from their eBay auctions!

Don.. You'r right on the preheating of the plugs ..I read a post on this from John Ackerman a number of years ago on the other list bot...and I never lost a plug due to a broken element...But what about the Rossi plugs? ...Also what ever happen to the Twin K..? They had a dubble element in them..Also sold under the GloBe name once.Back around 85... I buy the McCoys in 500 at a time and get them for 2.25 from McCoy...And sell them to My friends for the same price..They don't last long..I also have to agree with you on the O'Donnel fuel and plugs..Ruined the paint on my sport's boats and Scales....

I made the mistake of buying O'Donnell fuel a few years back. I kept seeing how records were being broken with racers using this fuel so I picked up 2 gallons to try. After running this crap, I had my header off and noticed a lot of build-up in there and inside the tuned pipe. I never had this problem before with other brands.

Nitrobanana21 said:
I made the mistake of buying O'Donnell fuel a few years back. I kept seeing how records were being broken with racers using this fuel so I picked up 2 gallons to try. After running this crap, I had my header off and noticed a lot of build-up in there and inside the tuned pipe. I never had this problem before with other brands.
What a lot of people have not realized is that O'Donnell changed their formula some time ago and since then, the fuel is crap. When it first came out, it was the best but it discolored your boat twice as bad as it does now. They changed the formula to reduce the problem but it isn't as good. At the time of the switch, I was running a 60 RoadRunner that was real quick and consitant. I ran out of the old fuel and began running the new O'Donnell. The boat would no longer pull the prop I had been running.

"Don.. You'r right on the preheating of the plugs ..I read a post on this from John Ackerman a number of years ago on the other list bot...and I never lost a plug due to a broken element...But what about the Rossi plugs?"

I've never tried the Rossi plugs. :huh:

I tried the Rossi's - didn't like them at all! Had a few that were dead out of the packet - I tried to pre-heat them but they were open circuit.

MC-9's or Cipolla 7's (reds) for me or Novarossi turbo plugs.

We had a post up about how bad O'Donnell's fuel was. It was killing my paint job and I started doubting my ability to paint, and then lost confidence in Deltron PPG. Learned the hard way it was the crap fuel!

We had a post up about how bad O'Donnell's fuel was. It was killing my paint job and I started doubting my ability to paint, and then lost confidence in Deltron PPG. Learned the hard way it was the crap fuel!
Yup, seen it ruin a good number of "cherry" paint jobs myself. <_<

Don Ferrette said:
We had a post up about how bad O'Donnell's fuel was.  It was killing my paint job and I started doubting my ability to paint, and then lost confidence in Deltron PPG.  Learned the hard way it was the crap fuel!
Yup, seen it ruin a good number of "cherry" paint jobs myself. <_<
Is that Prope Oxide that causes the discoloring? I've noticed the same thing happens regardless of the fuel if you add prope to the fuel. My 40 Microburst go a nice bath from someone running prope and it looked like I had been running O'Donnell fuel.

Back