Question about kneeler hydros

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ken turmon

I plan to build a kneeler over the winter . My question is what makes a kneeler hydro different (in design) from a regular hydro. Since im going to be making one Im wondering if it would be worth while doing two and converting one to an inboard, sport hydro style. But i have no idea if those boats would work as an inboard.

I plan to build a kneeler over the winter . My question is what makes a kneeler hydro different (in design) from a regular hydro. Since im going to be making one Im wondering if it would be worth while doing two and converting one to an inboard, sport hydro style. But i have no idea if those boats would work as an inboard.
The Kneeler I designed is intended to look like full size kneel down hydroplane rather than a sport hydroplane converted to an outboard. I suppose my kneeler design could be used as an inboard, but I wouldn't do it.

JD

The plans I have are actually for the red tail hydro. Im not sure how close it is in design to your's. When you say you wouldnt do it is it an issue of preference or that it would be a headache to get working.

I recommend building one. I love driving mine! They are driver boats ( not just peg it and turn ). I really hope they become more and more popular.

Jerry thanks for all your help with mine. I took the MN State Champs with it!

TL

Last edited by a moderator:
I definately plan to build an outboard version. I was just toying with trying one as an inboard as well.

Tim,

I'll try and have one to race for next season also, Jerry I know the information is somewhere in the archives of this site, but what driver figures are in the boats in your photos? Those boats just don't look complete with an empty drivers compartment.

Larry

Tim,

I'll try and have one to race for next season also, Jerry I know the information is somewhere in the archives of this site, but what driver figures are in the boats in your photos? Those boats just don't look complete with an empty drivers compartment.

Larry
Those are "JD Drivers." I shape balsa for the head and make the body from foam. If you can find plastic egg shells about 3" they can be used for the helmet. The helmet for this driver is a plastic egg shell.

JD

The plans I have are actually for the red tail hydro. Im not sure how close it is in design to your's. When you say you wouldnt do it is it an issue of preference or that it would be a headache to get working.

It would work. The old Dumas DragN' Fly designs were very much like a kneeler and were inboard powered. I build race boats and my kneeler design would not work all that well as a Sport 20.

JD

Tim,I'll try and have one to race for next season also, Jerry I know the information is somewhere in the archives of this site, but what driver figures are in the boats in your photos? Those boats just don't look complete with an empty drivers compartment.

Larry
I am more than likely to build the Blackwell (spelling) design Kneeler over the winter.

Thanks for the driver tip JD, I need one bad.

TL

It would work. The old Dumas DragN' Fly designs were very much like a kneeler and were inboard powered. I build race boats and my kneeler design would not work all that well as a Sport 20.

JD
I was really meaning more in style as far as cowling and apperance. I was not intending to race it in a sport hydro class or anything. Actually i am thinking of a FE inboard version.And at that it was only because I will be building one so i figured why not build two from the plans and have a spare for experimenting as an inboard.

Hello Ken,

A Kneeler design can be converted to an inboard. I've done it with models and some builders of full size boats have also done it too. The key thing to remember is that the c/g should still be the same as the outboard version (about 50-75% of afterplane length) instead of right behind the sponson transom. It will still be a tail dragger, not a prop rider.

My testing resulted in a boat that corners much better with less tendency to spin out. It will still want to blow over though (same c/g).

Some Inboard builders have taken outboard style tail draggers and make successful full size APBA inboard hydros, like Sorensen and Belleville. It's been done. It works.

In fact, it's no different than making a tunnel hull an inboard version. Go with the same c/g. This too has been done in full size boats. There have been some big impressive tunnels with V8's mounted inboard with a driveshaft or inboard/outboard outdrive. Has this been done succesfully in r/c? I seem to remember some gas tunnel guys that did it.

Try it.

BRB

Thanks Bill thats great news. I will be building both versions. by the way great job on the plans and building instructions. Top notch for sure.

Latest posts

Back