Quality ESC

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Davis

Castle discontinued for marine. Not happy with Swordfish.

Who else makes quality ESCs and where can i purchase?

Thanks in advance.... Chris

The hobby wing 180a is likely the best bang for your buck esc going. You didnt mention requirements for amp draw/volts so hard to recommend something but the two brands mentioned are at opposite ends of the spectrum price wise but both have great reputations. just depends on budget and requirements.

Chris,

Knowing what classes or power levels you plan on running will help us make recommendations. There are some specific ECS's that work well for certain classes and there are some to avoid.

Tyler

Thanks all for chiming in!

I have posted this question for a friend and am not familiar with electrics or his particular set up. The information given for the MGM controllers and a US distributor were what he was looking for.

Thanks again Chris

Nothing is wrong with Swordfish controllers if you follow the directions exactly.

I have used them for years and have only had 1 problem of my own making.

I use the Turnigy 180a V2 Esc and have had no issues with them either playing or racing. You definitely get your bang for your buck!

So far I have burnt 4 units of old Turnigy 180A ESCs, but for V2 I manage to leak seawater into the cap bank, though the ESC is okay but smoke and burnt the cap bank.

You have to squeeze silicone on the cap bank as well to protect the whole unit.

May I ask whats wrong with swordfish.
Club members used various Swordfish controllers in the past two years and I believe all failed eventually. The T180 was much more reliable for them. I used MGM controllers a few years ago with decent success AFAIK their support has improved in recent years. Today I use modified Castle airplane controllers with very high reliability.
No ESCs are really waterproof. If you can't make your hull watertight then you will have failures no matter what controller you use. My hulls don't leak more than a few drops and are very reliable.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back