PTO to mount Nova Rossi to OS Lower Unit

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theringwah2002

Hi Guys,

I have been playing with the idea of mounting my Nova Rossi 3.5 onto an OS .21 XM Lower Unit. Have completed the design and are about to order material/parts (bearings & seals).

I am looking for expressions of interest from racers that are interested in purchasing.

Regards

Mark Johnston

I am looking for expressions of interest from racers that are interested in purchasing.

Hi Mark,

I'm keen. I've got a 2000 series. Keep me posted.

regards

Ezzy J

Hi Guys,

I have been playing with the idea of mounting my Nova Rossi 3.5 onto an OS .21 XM Lower Unit. Have completed the design and are about to order material/parts (bearings & seals).

Regards

Mark Johnston
He Mark

I am wondering, why you are planning on this: Is a lawless not good enough? What advantages are these OS lowers giving you?

Any idea on costs?

I am always interested if it will bring definitely advantages, but it must be somehow worth it.

Ronald.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guys,

Regards

Mark Johnston
He Mark

I am wondering, why you are planning on this: Is a lawless not good enough? What advantages are these OS lowers giving you?

Any idea on costs?

I am always intersetd if it will bring definitely advantages, but it must be somehow worth it.

Ronald.

i am willign to bet that it wills ave you alot of money. I bet the OS isnt half the cost of a lawless..... As far as peformance, i wouldnt even know that part, dotn ahve an OS to compare too.

Hi Guys,

Regards

Mark Johnston
Hey MJ, Tim has told me allot about your little "rocket" you have,,quite impressive.

I wonder about that as a sales venture, with the difficulty in getting NovaLS parts and

especially the O/B crank.

I'm working on the Mac O/B, O.S. lower conversion right now, which is a close fit.

As far as the Nova is concerned I was thinking more about the Nova SS mated to a

Thunder Tiger lower where the special O/B crank wouldn't be a concern, since they're

already spinng the right direction.

As you know, I have already had the O.S. 30VG mounted on a TT lower,(with the help of

Rod G and David H) again a close fit.

The O.S lower is a much better lower than I first thought,, but the TT is far cheaper.

The TT unit wouldn't be condusive to the LS,, the "reverse crank" and gear ratio would not be needed,, but with the

SS,, Hmmmm?

But I would imagine that there might be a few that would like that set-up :huh:

The O.S lower is actually quite expensive. We adapted the O.S. pto to a Mac to allow one boat to run both NAMBA stock and mod with the same lower. It may be far easier to rework a O.S. pto to fit the Nova than Building a complete unit.

Jerry, would the short stroke not still require a crank to get the pin long enough to drive the pto? Wasn't your 30 a car motor with a pull start so it already had the long crank pin?

Jerry, would the short stroke not still require a crank to get the pin long enough to drive the pto? Wasn't your 30 a car motor with a pull start so it already had the long crank pin?
Yes, That's correct, that 30VG-PX is a pull start unit,, So I'm assuming the NovaLS O/B crank is the only way your going to get the long crank pin, yeah?

Assuming the SS doesn't have a pull start model, the only remedy to that would be to "counter bore"

the existing crank pin for a threaded (removable) PTO drive pin so you can get the rod off

the crank pin for disassembly.

Not the best of tasks and risky at that,, I guess the alternative would be, counter bore,

loose pin and spring with a pocket in the pto shaft plate. Some car/truck engines use this feature, Ofna and others. The SS could also benefit from the TT gear reduction.

Rod G mentioned using the threaded socket head screw method but I didn't hear about

how it all turned out.

Hey Mark J

The Lawless is a fine unit but can upset some hulls due to the length, that said why not go with a K&B ?

I have used em with a stainless liner on tha flex, and it was VERY smooth even with the tighter curve in the lower.

Cant remember the part number, Mike Z might know we talked bout it before.

The OS stuff round here is big bucks, Just wondering why the OS in Oz? :D

Gener B)

I was planing on doing something similar, except I was going to mill off the O.S. mouning plate on the lower and make my own moutning plate to go in place of the original, so that the common "K&B" pattern would be on the O.S. lower unit. Its far less machining involved....

~James

If anyone wants to play with an O.S. lower unit assy, I have one on auction. (shameless plug for my auctions.)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...AMESE%3AIT&rd=1

OS lower

The OS PTO however, is rather expensive, and probably why MJ is looking for epxressions of interest to have them made.

I'll give you a hint as to "why the O.S" and not a K&B / Lawless / Irwin / REK. Look closely at the mounting system. There are other reasons too - but this is the biggy.

I would think the O.S / Novarossi powerhead would be a killer combination.

OS lower

The OS PTO however, is rather expensive, and probably why MJ is looking for epxressions of interest to have them made.

I'll give you a hint as to "why the O.S" and not a K&B / Lawless / Irwin / REK. Look closely at the mounting system. There are other reasons too - but this is the biggy.

Yep, They actually copied Thunder Tiger on that one,,cod lickers.

OS lower

Ohh Kee Doh Kee, Thanks for tha info thar Timbo ;)

Laters,

Gener :D

Latest posts

Back