PT sport 40 bottom update

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

garrett randall

I think there was a thread on here once about the PT sport 40 update.

Phil, you make a "kit" for it or something...right?

Does anyone have any pictures of a before/after or have a link to the IW thread from before?

What was the intention of this change, was it to meet an organizational rule?

Thanks!

Garrett

I think there was a thread on here once about the PT sport 40 update.

Phil, you make a "kit" for it or something...right?

Does anyone have any pictures of a before/after or have a link to the IW thread from before?

What was the intention of this change, was it to meet an organizational rule?

Thanks!

Garrett
It was a Namba rule that stated the bellypans on s40 boats could not be more than 1/2" deep at the rear of the front sponson pads. Someone after ten years saw the SSP45 was deeper so I changed the bottom.

Made the boat stay on the water a bit better and we can ran the strut flatter.

The rules for belly pan depth was dropped.

You can do the mod or just run it as is.

picture album

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/thumbnails.php?album=832

The SSP45 is still a very good racing boat after many years being built.

I should find time to redo the boat, but hard to come up with a new design thats better.

I like the way my new little 30 inch Stealth runs so maybe I will do a 40 or gas version.

Last edited by a moderator:
couple years back I did the mod on the sport 40 to the tunnel using pink foam and ply and glass .it trunrd out well and the boat ran very well.Tim Jones has the boat now , or at least he did and he was happy with it also.It seemed less flighty that the other PT 40's that I have seen anyway..

"couple years back I did the mod on the sport 40 to the tunnel using pink foam and ply and glass .it turned out well and the boat ran very well.Tim Jones has the boat now , or at least he did and he was happy with it also.It seemed less flighty that the other PT 40's that I have seen anyway."

Hey Terry,

That was not the same change Phil is talking about. I believe you are referring to the changes you made from pics I provide you, for changes I had made to the bottom of Rick Lamb's SS45 - which had the original hull bottom Phil produced those MANY years ago. My change also allowed the hull to race without the added drag of the steply angles canard wings.

Here are a couple pics I believe you worked from. To my knowledge, these similar changes were made to Rick', yours and one Russell Bear built and later sold to Curtis Cantor. Dave Berry in Florahome, FL has that hull now. CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back