Sport 40, Division 1

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MikeReed

Hello Guys and Gals,
I haven't raced a boat since the late 80's down in Tucson. Even then it wasn't serious but I'm getting the itch again and have been looking around.

Is NAMBA Division 1 Sport 40 still a thing? I mean, I see it in the rule book but does anyone still bother? I've read through lots of event results and don't see it being raced.

The reason I ask is that I've got a crap ton of K&B .40 stuff, some of them the Marine version and thought it'd be cool to build a boat. I built a rear intake version from parts I have but it'd be real easy to put a marine head and flywheel on it and make an exhaust adapter to get the exhaust up and out of the boat. I know it's not competitive but do mfgs even make .40s anymore?

01_KB_ABC-RImod.jpg
02_KB_ABC-RImod.jpg

But if its not a serious thing then I wont get too serious about the equipment or finish I put into it.

Mike

Nobody makes a .40 anymore. There all .45 7.5cc I don’t know what Sport 40 Division 1 is in Namba but Sport 40 overall is a huge class in some areas. I would find out whats popular in your area and see if it’s worth it for competing purposes. If your just sport boating I wouldn’t worry about it.

I know In our area we may have up too 30 Sport 40 boats sign up for a race.

That class has not run since about 2000. Even then it was only in dist 9. I think the last time it ran at nats might of been 98 in OR. It will not be competive against a div 2. Looks like your in texas. I dont believe there is much nitro racing going on down there. I would check with the local clubs to see what runs if you want to race. Otherwise it is just going to be a fun boat.
Mike

Like Mike says check out the local clubs in your area and see what they run. Sport 40=II is what most clubs run these days which is the 45 with tuned pipe, fun class and fast speeds. There has to be a club there as the Nat's ran there a couple of years ago and I have built a few boats and sent them there.

Brad

Thanks for all the info guys. Its kinda what I expected. So a fun only project it will be. The Blazer Sport 40 looks good and the price seems right.

Seems like I live in a dry spot for clubs. Its miles to any I've seen so far. I'd either have to drive all the way down to Houston or San Antonio, about the same distance north to Dallas or across the state to El Paso so it's like that quote in that George Clooney movie, "Its an oddity. Two weeks from everywhere".

Mike

Latest posts

Back