Prop Thrust Washers

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jorgen Andersson

Hello

What are the best quality and lowest friction material to use as prop thrust washers?

Any source for ready made 3/16 washers?

Thanks

Jorgen

yeah, I cant get away from this stuff...

Thats ok though, in a couple days there wont be internet access while cruising around the Greek Islands!

Best Material I have found is with peek with carbon & graphite. I use these straight on the prop nut on a 90 with no problems

Ian Folkson

yeah, I cant get away from this stuff...
Thats ok though, in a couple days there wont be internet access while cruising around the Greek Islands!
i don't think you'll last that long, i'm gonna start a pool, "when will james implode from IW deprivation" :lol: :lol: :lol: ! i'll need the dates the ship leaves port & returns, to set it up..... :p :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
You should talk! Its probably the only reason you get up to go to work in the morning huh? :D

~James

Terry,

Jorgen is running a square drive set up. I found some if you still need them.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

That's a subject I'd like to see discussed. I run Collets myself. What are the advantages or disadvantages of Square Drive Versus a Collet, or is there any? Why do you run Square Drive or why do you run a Collet??

I'm pretty sure this had been bashed around before with each side thinking there way is the best, I just like the simplicity.

You do have to watch the wear on the front bearing and can check it by indicating the end play in the crank. A new bearing will usually have 2-3 thou., I like to change them at about 4-5. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
I have been running round flex for three seasons with good results.

The service and simplicity is great.

Different engines with different front bearing sizes will affect this as well.

Late last year I did some back to back tests at the lake switching to square and I did discover some interesting differencies.

I am sure both systems work great, but on the same boat, same day, it was not the same.

Thanks

Jorgen

There is another consideration to be taken in to account, this is the difference at where the prop thrust is applied to the boat, between a collet drive ( non floating cable) and a square drive ( floating cable).

A non floating cable applies the prop thrust to the engine AHEAD of the CG, toward the front of the boat. A floating cable applies the prop thrust to the strut at the REAR of the boat.

Lay a ruler on the table and push on it at these respective positions and you will see the difference.

I believe that this difference is what Jorgen is refering to. :)

Why does anyone bother with this stuff ?? They are not any faster so why ?
I just wanted to clarify that no disrespect is intended by my post , sorry if it was taken that way ! It's just so much less complicated and maintenance intensive to use the collet / flex setup . My first RC boat a Dumas Drag N Fly 40 with a 60 in it , had a 3 piece hard shaft setup ala Jimmy Allen . The parts drove me nuts !

I have been running round flex for three seasons with good results.The service and simplicity is great.

Different engines with different front bearing sizes will affect this as well.

Late last year I did some back to back tests at the lake switching to square and I did discover some interesting differencies.

I am sure both systems work great, but on the same boat, same day, it was not the same.

Thanks

Jorgen

Oh, you tease! :lol:

Care to share your findings? :rolleyes:

Why does anyone bother with this stuff ?? They are not any faster so why ?
I just wanted to clarify that no disrespect is intended by my post , sorry if it was taken that way ! It's just so much less complicated and maintenance intensive to use the collet / flex setup . My first RC boat a Dumas Drag N Fly 40 with a 60 in it , had a 3 piece hard shaft setup ala Jimmy Allen . The parts drove me nuts !
Tom, My reply wasn't intended to be toward you or anyone. I don't get involved in personal vendettas or pissing matches.

If I think I can add something constructive to a subject sometimes I will post my thoughts and opinions. I try to look at things from all perspectives.

Thanks for helping to clear this up. Charles Perdue

Back