Digital Clock from Ric Carpenter - Need help identifying electronics.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian Blazer

Supporting Member
Hello all. We have a LED digital clock that was built by the late Ric Carpenter. I accidentally hooked the positive wire to the negative on the battery and the negative to the positive. The clock popped the diode and this black 5 pin thing which I believe is a voltage regulator. I could be completely wrong.

If anyone has one of his clocks, I would really appreciate a photo of this part. I am unsure if he made more than one.

If we can't locate another clock, would anyone know what this part is actually called so I can source somewhere?

Thanks,
Brian

Attachments

• clock1.jpg
    clock1.jpg
    30.3 KB · Views: 0
  • Clock2.jpg
    Clock2.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 1
  • Clock3.jpg
    Clock3.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 0
Brian, you can connect a diode in series in the input to prevent future mishaps as noted in other post by Daniel's Racing. Or, better yet put a full wave bridge rectifier in the power leads input circuit so it will function normally regardless of battery polarity at the input wires. Diodes have a .7V drop across them so it will limit the input voltage from the battery to the clock, however the clock circuitry should function normally on 12V and a fully charged 12V battery depending upon type will have ~12.8VDC at the terminals.

Very simple to do. Let me know if you are interested and I'll look up the parts and draw up a circuit diagram - can also walk you through doing the installation. Looks like some of the other forum members are guiding you this direction too.

For inline fuse, start at 1A rated and see if it holds if you can get it running again.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back