prop pitch question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chinslip

Hi guys...I'm still a newbie and need help. Which of the following props go further per single revolution? 2714/3 or 2716/3. I know which number reffer to the pitch but don't know what they mean exactly. Does the 14 refer to 1.4 inches of forward movement per revolution? If so the 16 would be 1.6 in of forward movement per rev?

Thanks

Norm

Norm,

The 2714/3 would travel 3.780" per revolution, and the 2716/3 would travel 4.320" if there was no slippage

Involved. On most of our propellers we have between 15% to 30% of slippage, depending on quite a few

variables with our set ups. The pitch ratio is what the 1.4 and 1.6 stand for. If you multiply the diameter x the

Pitch ratio you will get your pitches.

Hope This Helps You,

Mark Sholund

Thanks for the response Mark. The reason I ask is because last year I went from a stock RZ254 to a stock k30 and noticed a drop in speed. I was running a 2716/2 15* prop. Then I realized that the K30 has a lower rpm then the RZ254. So I sent and e-mail to Bruce at Gizmo's and he recomends a 2714/3 or a 2814/3 that should push the boat faster. I'm just curious as to how a prop that has less forward movement move the boat faster?

Thanks

Norm

Norm,

I would have Mike Ross fix your engine first. Suicidal Engines.

Then revisit the propeller selection again.

Good Luck,

Mark

Norm,

Is the boat going fast enough? or pulling enough propeller?

You Decide How Fast You Want To Go?

Thanks,

Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
I just noticed a drop in speed from the 256 to the K30 and wanted a prop that would move the boat faster at a lower RPM. Is there anything wrong with the engine in terms of reliability??

Norm,

I don't run gas boats. Nitro is my thing!!!

Most just want to go faster and handle better thru the corners.

Remember that the pitch to diameter ratio means that the actual pitch goes up with the diameter even at the same ratio. If your engine bogs down with the bigger diameter prop you can reduce the diameter slightly (1 -2 mm) and still keep the higher pitch for a higher speed.

Lohring Miller

Latest posts

Back