Power panel battery

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namba969

Hey guys, what are you using in your pit boxes for batteries. I'm only running the fuel pump and glow starter off the battery. I'm sick of replacing those gel cel 12volt batteries every year !!

Andrew

4S 4200mAH LiFe pack. Waaay lighter than gel cells and has been working well for me for a whole day of testing nitro boats. I use it for the power panel, fuel pump and starter motor.

Started with LiPo battery but switched to LiFe a couple years ago , would never go back.

This is what I use for an igniter , seems to last forever on a charge.

Tim

2013-04-12 20.00.46.jpg

If you need more capacity than one 4S 4200 LiFe pack or you're just cautious, you can parallel two together. Use a pair of isolating diodes so one doesn't charge the other. Works very well and the voltage drop and series resistance of the power diodes doesn't cause any problems.

driver

I use a 4400 Mah nicad D size.

been using the same single cell for the last 10+yrs.

only have to charge it like once a season. @5amps for 16 hr.

Never had one of the gel batteries go bad.

changed them out after 10 yrs. just in case. I think Ken Hildreth is still using them.

How are you charging them?

I am now using three 10amp H in new starter box.

fuel pump seems to use more juice than starter on 24V

I use six terminals so you can do anything you want with starter , clockwise/counter clockwise 12/24 and field chargers.

Mainly due to the fact that their is always someone not prepaired. or broke down.

Tim, that looks like a great setup. Where did you get the parts for it? I haven't been able to find an ignitor that I could hook up a life pack to.

Thanks for any info

Here is my setup. Still have to make a box for it. If I remember right you can use up to a 5s lipoo or life and it regulates for the glow plug. I wired it so I get all the voltage to my starter. Not bad for 10 dollars in parts ...

2012-07-14_01-52-20_27.jpg

I use a 4s for the starter and a 2s for the panel.

Works a treat and soo soo much lighter!

Yea I thought about the 4s lipo but was concerned about the extra voltage. I never thought about the lower voltage of the life pack. I think I like that idea most. What runtime would I expect out of a 4200 4s life running just glow driver and fuel pump?

Thanks again guys!!!

Andrew

i agree with you on the rcats glow driver greg i just purchased 1 2 months ago and the ni lighter got binned without hesitation they are top notch.

Back