Pipe Shootout

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Terry Keeley said:
Hey Mike:
Interesting stuff, even for an "O/B challenged" guy like me.  :blink:

Just curious about the size of the internal stinger you used.  Got an I/D for us?  Did you use brass tubing?  Did you put a small hole near the end to let the pipe "clean out"?

Enquiring minds need to know. :eek:

ps:  Tell Squeek to hang in there, hope to see him in London in August, can't make the Nats this year.  :(

105350[/snapback]

TK,

What.. no Day-Glo Orange and Black TKOs (Terry Kleeley Outriggers) at the Internats this year.. Thats crazy talk man... We will miss yea. eh.. I will let the Squeaker know you said hi…

.280" brass was the size of the stingers and yes we put a hole near the end.. One note.. i think next time i just might either put a slot (thanks Josh) in the brass or drill a small hole pipe its self near that area.. This way i could be 100 percent sure the hole is near the end.

No matter how I had my boat setup.. no matter what I did to change the prop, fuel, length, weight, needle setting or any other aspect of the pipes.. One would win and all the others would loose. The test is very valid and if it was props, hulls, headers, paint, carb diameters or pipes.. there would still only be one winner.

Maybe I should have stated a disclaimer.. Results will vary depending on your application.

Grim

Grimracer said:
Hi Jerry,
To play it safe.. please add a stinger muffler or Inverted stinger in/on the pipe.. It will save you lots of trouble come race day.

Your in so much trouble now.... man.. not kidding right Russ!!!

Looking forward to racing with you this year.

Grim

105222[/snapback]

HEY GRIMM, LOOKS GOOD , THE ONLY THING IS , I SEND ALL MY PIPS OUT ON THE LONSIDE SO NO MATTER WHERE IN TH COUNTRY OR OVERSEAS THEY GO . THEY WILL WORK , YOU SAID MY MUFF. CHECKED OUT AT 8.750 INCHES ?? WELL THIS IS ABOUT .750 INCHES TO LONG TO BE OF ANY VALUE IN YOUR PART OF THE COUNTRY . GET IT DOWN TO 8.000 AND YOU WILL BE RIGHT ON . THANK YOU FOR THE NEET ARTICAL . WE HAVE NEEDED THIS FOR A LONG TIME . A LITTLE HINT , IF YOU ARE GOING TO PUT AN OUTLET STINGER ON ANY NITRO PIPE , MEASURE THE COVERGANCE CONE ON THE PIPIE AND FIND CENTER . THIS IS WHERE THE OUTLET NEEDS TO GO / NOW POINT ITY DOWN INTO THE SPRAY OF THE BLADE ( PROP ) YOPU WILL BE SUPRISED HOW QUIET AND HOW WELL THIS WILL WORK, PLEASE EXSCUSE MY SPEELLING AND ALL . I JUST DID GET HOME ( AGAIN ) FROM THE HOSP. HAD TO HAVE THE OL BACK REDONE AGAIN , STILL A LITTLE DOPY . HE HE HE MY WIFE TOLD ME SHE LIKES ME BETTER THIS WAY . SEE YALL . GOD BLESS

TK,

What.. no Day-Glo Orange and Black TKOs (Terry Kleeley Outriggers) at the Internats this year.. Thats crazy talk man... We will miss yea. eh.. I will let the Squeaker know you said hi…

.280" brass was the size of the stingers and yes we put a hole near the end.. One note.. i think next time i just might either put a slot (thanks Josh) in the brass or drill a small hole pipe its self near that area.. This way i could be 100 percent sure the hole is near the end.

No matter how I had my boat setup.. no matter what I did to change the prop, fuel, length, weight, needle setting or any other aspect of the pipes.. One would win and all the others would loose. The test is very valid and if it was props, hulls, headers, paint, carb diameters or pipes.. there would still only be one winner.

Maybe I should have stated a disclaimer.. Results will vary depending on your application.

Grim

105355[/snapback]

My partner Olly Douglas is going to both this year, I'm very jealous! Have fun!

Yup, 5/16" K&S with a 9/32" I/D seems to be the ticket for 21's, I like that slot idea too. Josh was one of the first in your area to run this IIRC.

Just curious if you noticed any difference with your O/B's running an internal stinger? More heat, less power, different needle etc? Some mention to me that they went rich when running one in but after explaining the difference in stinger size and pipe pressure they see more HP if anything. :)

TK,

Grim

105355[/snapback]

My partner Olly Douglas is going to both this year, I'm very jealous! Have fun!

Yup, 5/16" K&S with a 9/32" I/D seems to be the ticket for 21's, I like that slot idea too. Josh was one of the first in your area to run this IIRC.

Just curious if you noticed any difference with your O/B's running an internal stinger? More heat, less power, different needle etc? Some mention to me that they went rich when running one in but after explaining the difference in stinger size and pipe pressure they see more HP if anything. :)

105927[/snapback]

Terry, we replaced the can muffler with an internal stinger on E.J. Lynx and it picked up some speed. The throttle response was also improved.

Precision Boats said:
:blink:   .280"  :blink:

:lol:

105939[/snapback]

Heya Josh, Worried about .280, I have a "GadgetCraft" carbon pipe with a stinger opening of .303! But the stinger is 3 1/4 inches long. It gives me the highest usable RPM range on my mod Thunder Tigers,, Much higher than a Nova LS! hehehe

And Oh yeah, My Tiger is on the back of a LYNX :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Stinger on my Garcia pipe is at .315. Was told anything less an the Mac wouldn't like it..

OB Nut said:
Stinger on my Garcia pipe is at .315. Was told anything less an the Mac wouldn't like it..
105956[/snapback]

Mine is @ .280 but I cut the stinger length to 1 inch and it's turning more RPMs than any of my MAC or Nova Rossi inboards.

This is Josh,

Precision Boats is Tim, my father. I hardly ever post using his id unless i'm at work.

But if you want to see a tunnel hull run take a little trip to Jackson Tn this July and I'll show you one! Bring all your CMB and MAC's! And drill that stinger out .500 if you want, its not going to help you any!!!!!!!

OhYa Don't forget what Ole Dizzy Dean said?!?!?!?!

Josh

.280 .380 .480 I don't care what you run. You guys know best not me. :p

Run anything you want to. We will run a Nova Rossi .21 and nothing else. Also we will run the Irwin stamped the best pipe on our boat to date. We have ran and tested all them also. See u in Jackson. :eek: Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Tim

Precision Boats said:
Run anything you want to. We will run a Nova Rossi  .21 and nothing else. Also we will run the Irwin stamped the best pipe on our boat to date. We have ran and tested all them also. See u in Jackson. :eek: Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Tim

105985[/snapback]

Heck why do you need a Pipe at all!!.......................HA HA HA HA HA

Josh

Last edited:
....and when can we expect the 7.5 shootout??????

Great to see the effort and sharing of info on these pipes....

Unfortunately I would see it as an impossible task to test all the combinations.... especially when different engines and even different timings will change the most suitable pipe.... But this gives a great starting point!!! :D

Josh said:
Precision Boats said:
Run anything you want to. We will run a Nova Rossi  .21 and nothing else. Also we will run the Irwin stamped the best pipe on our boat to date. We have ran and tested all them also. See u in Jackson. :eek: Let the games begin!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

Tim

105985[/snapback]

Josh

105986[/snapback]

Josh & Tim, I sure hope your boats run as fast at the Nats as your talk. The Nova Rossi is a great motor but it remains to be seen how the MAC & CMB performs. If Atlanta was any indication, the gap is not as wide as you may think.

John has been working on the Lynx/MAC setup and Mike has been working with the CMB on his boat. Given their driving skill, it's not a done deal.

Joe,

I think you will see a Nova Rossi 21 in the winner circle this year at the

Internats. The OB is very impressive!

Time Will Tell,

Mark Sholund

Joe_Knesek said:
Josh said:
Precision Boats said:

Tim

105985[/snapback]

Josh

105986[/snapback]

Josh & Tim, I sure hope your boats run as fast at the Nats as your talk. The Nova Rossi is a great motor but it remains to be seen how the MAC & CMB performs. If Atlanta was any indication, the gap is not as wide as you may think.

John has been working on the Lynx/MAC setup and Mike has been working with the CMB on his boat. Given their driving skill, it's not a done deal.

105996[/snapback]

HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol:

It only gets better!! Let me know when a MAC or CMB outboard sets or breaks any current IMPBA Records. Better yet let me know when one wins a national event.

Just my .02 on that matter.

But know one thinks we know what we are talking about when if comes to Outboards! So just put it on the track!! Have fun racing.

---

Just think if we raced for money?? This would get real good!! :p

Josh

Last edited:
Josh said:
Joe_Knesek said:
Josh said:
Precision Boats said:

Tim

105985[/snapback]

Josh

105986[/snapback]

105996[/snapback]

HA HA HA HA HA HA :lol:

It only gets better!! Let me know when a MAC or CMB outboard sets or breaks any current IMPBA Records. Better yet let me know when one wins a national event.

Just my .02 on that matter.

But know one thinks we know what we are talking about when if comes to Outboards! So just put it on the track!! Have fun racing.

---

Just think if we raced for money?? This would get real good!! :p

Josh

106011[/snapback]

At the Spring Nats, the only smooth heads up race of the weekend was won by a MAC in a boat that only had 2 runs on it. Every other heat had 30 MPH wind and a stock K&B could have won them.

Don't get me wrong Josh, I run Nova Rossi inboards and know the differance in the two motors. The gap isn't that wide.

Josh said:
This is Josh,
Precision Boats is Tim, my father.  I hardly ever post using his id unless i'm at work.

But if you want to see a tunnel hull run take a little trip to Jackson Tn this July and I'll show you one!  Bring all your CMB and MAC's!  And drill that stinger out .500 if you want, its not going to help you any!!!!!!!

OhYa Don't forget what Ole Dizzy Dean said?!?!?!?!

Josh

105984[/snapback]

Are you talking about Ron Drake's? :lol:

~Mitch Jr.

Joe,

Get you any Mac or CMB you want to and come on to Jackson, They tried that CMB (new Redhead) motor in Huntsville this year it would not make 6 laps. Why did the Jackson Boys sell thiers right away on IW (CMB REDHEAD) POS

I have never seen a MAC outboard that impressed me!!

Jaxracer we are talking about our Lynx and N.R. motor. It lapped the field in Huntsville this year. And we started last.... :p

C-YA

Tim

This forum is full of non-informative nerds!!!!!!!! That tell people stuff that is not correct.... :lol:

Precision Boats said:
Joe,

"I have never seen a MAC outboard that impressed me!!"

Tim, Well I think your about to, They are very impressive and probably a "mite" cheaper than the Nova,, and on a good boat with a seasoned driver, they can be Very Formidable :eek:

Jerry Wyss said:
Precision Boats said:
Joe,

"I have never seen a MAC outboard that impressed me!!"

Tim, Well I think your about to, They are very impressive and probably a "mite" cheaper than the Nova,, and on a good boat with a seasoned driver, they can be Very Formidable :eek:

106028[/snapback]

Lets see this year it will be a HTB 290 and a Nova Rossi combo that will take the Nats!!!!! I will be taking all wagers!!

Back