Pipe Shootout

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grimracer

OB racers.

Here is the deal on the pipe shootout that we will be conducting. First i will not be changing props, fuel, The only changes that will be taking place are needle setting and possible pipe length changes. Once i have a boat setup and its working well its time to find more HP not change the boat...i.e. meaning prop, CG, bottoms.

Test bed..

Nemesis

CMB LS motor

60% Byron fuel

Prop X-440/3 Modified

We will be timing 4 laps after a 4 lap warm up. We will average the time for the 4 laps.

We will then make a saw pass...

We have 15 pipes at this time to try.. we are going to be setting the pipes at the same length for the first set of tests.. if time allows we will make length changes.

Notes about the pipes we have...

We have pipes measuring from 5.25" to 6.625. this is the length from the beginning of the converging cone to the start of the head pipe. Not quite sure how im going to deal with this but most of the pipes have a 6" to 6 1/8" length setup. Im thinking on that one..

Also all Nitro pipes will have an inverted stinger installed before testing. Im not going to entertain a full nitro pipe.. If you have sent me a pipe and do not want a stinger placed in it please say so now.. thanks.

This is going to be fun… :D

grim

Last edited by a moderator:
Grimracer said:
OB racers.
Here is the deal on the pipe shootout that we will be conducting. First i will not be changing props, fuel, The only changes that will be taking place are needle setting and possible pipe length changes. Once i have a boat setup and its working well its time to find more HP not change the boat...i.e. meaning prop, CG, bottoms.

Test bed..

Nemesis

CMB LS motor

60% Byron fuel

Prop X-440/3 Modified

We will be timing 4 laps after a 4 lap warm up. We will average the time for the 4 laps.

We have 15 pipes at this time to try.. we are going to be setting the pipes at the same length for the first set of tests.. if time allows we will make length changes.

We have pipes measuring from 5.25" to 6.625. this is the length from the beginning of the converging cone to the start of the head pipe. Not quite sure how im going to deal with this but most of the pipes have a 6" to 6 1/8" length setup. Im thinking on that one..

Also all Nitro pipes will have an inverted stinging installed before testing. Im not going to entertain a full nitro pipe.. If you have sent me a pipe and do not want a stinger placed in it please say so now.. thanks.

grim

104216[/snapback]

Grim, sounds like a great test, for sure. You should gather lots of data. Im heading south to Eagan today, for some testing also. Good luck, and have fun. Richard D.

Grimracer said:
OB racers.

Test bed..

Nemesis

CMB LS motor

60% Byron fuel

Prop X-440/3 Modified

Also all Nitro pipes will have an inverted stinging installed before testing. Im not going to entertain a full nitro pipe.. If you have sent me a pipe and do not want a stinger placed in it please say so now.. thanks.

grim

104216[/snapback]

Mike, can you list the pipes you plan on testing?

Joe_Knesek said:
Grimracer said:
OB racers.

Test bed..

Nemesis

CMB LS motor

60% Byron fuel

Prop X-440/3 Modified

grim

104216[/snapback]

Mike, can you list the pipes you plan on testing?

104235[/snapback]

I will list what i can remember.. if i miss any you will see the pipe with the results at the end of the test.

OOP.. (Out Of Production)

(?) not sure if its in production

Garcia Small Volume, Large head pipe (OOP)

Garcia Small Volume, Small head pipe (OOP)

Garcia Greaghty, large Volume (OOP)

Equi (?)

Irwin Stamped (2).. not sure im going to test both.. (?)

Irwin Pro (?)

JYD Pro (?)

Salsbury NR, long head pipe

Salsbury NR, Short head Pipe

Salsbury NR, Ultra Short head pipe

Salsbury Nitro

Silver Bullet

Rossi Muffled (this is a muffled pipe.. sorry about the confusion)

Rossi Small Volume (My past personal favorite and the 62/3MPH pipe Gener was testing way back in the saw days) (OOP)

By Gully.. that is all of them. Wait.. there is a Garcia small volume on the back of my 2002 Internats winning Villain S1 hanging on the wall… thats a good pipe… will have to add that one too..

Missing current production units:

Cooper?

Others?

Grim

Joe,

I did not send one of them to Mike, Because you can not get them anymore so no need to include them in the shootout. We know it would place very high up on the lap times score..... :ph34r:

Tunnelbill said:
Joe,
  I did not send one of them to Mike, Because you can not get them anymore so no need to include them in the shootout.  We know it would place very high up on the lap times score..... :ph34r:

104298[/snapback]

Nearly 1/3 of the pipes being tested are out of production. Why not add the Gadjetcraft? I'd like to know how it stacks up.

Joe_Knesek said:
Tunnelbill said:
Joe,
   I did not send one of them to Mike, Because you can not get them anymore so no need to include them in the shootout.  We know it would place very high up on the lap times score..... :ph34r:

104298[/snapback]

Nearly 1/3 of the pipes being tested are out of production. Why not add the Gadjetcraft? I'd like to know how it stacks up.

104325[/snapback]

HEY JOE, I DO AGREE WITH YOU , ??? BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF THE OLD PRODUCTION PIPES STILL OUT THERE FLOATING AROUND , IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE HOBBY YOU NEED TO PURCHASE AS INEXSPENSIVLY AS POSSABLE . SO I SAY LET HIM GO FOR IT . B)

james irwin said:
Joe_Knesek said:
Tunnelbill said:
Joe,

104298[/snapback]

104325[/snapback]

HEY JOE, I DO AGREE WITH YOU , ??? BUT THERE ARE A LOT OF THE OLD PRODUCTION PIPES STILL OUT THERE FLOATING AROUND , IF YOU ARE NEW TO THE HOBBY YOU NEED TO PURCHASE AS INEXSPENSIVLY AS POSSABLE . SO I SAY LET HIM GO FOR IT . B)

104337[/snapback]

Yeah, help out us newbies!

2005 Pipe Shootout by Grimracer.

First I would like to state that I do not sell or endorse any of the products that are listed below. This test was to merely provide information as to determine the best overall add on pipe for a 3.5cc Outboard motor.

The pipe shootout started out tough.. Big storms came over the morning of the test and the pond was filled with debris. After some light clean up and little wind the pond began to clear up and it was testing time..

To not bore you with details I will list the top 5 pipes we tested in the order of best to worse.

A few notes about our test rig.. Im not the kind of guy that gets in to all that SAW stuff or oval trials. I like my boats to be heat race ready at the drop of a hat and however good.. speed is.. its not all im looking for.. My test bed was set quite conservative as to try to make things as even as possible. No length adjustments were made for the test as the test was to determine what pipe would bolt on and make the boat perform well with little effort. Maximizing the pipes could be the subject of a possible future test.

Note: All Nitro pipes were fitted with an inverted stinger for testing. This will be denoted with an *

Weather:

80deg and rising

65% Humidity

29.4 and rising

Test bed:

Power Surge Racing Products, LLC Nemesis

CMB LS Outboard motor

Octura X-440/3 prop Cut

Byron 60% fuel

Congratulations to Mark Hopper of HTB boat and Silver Bullet Pipes…. The Silver Bullet Pipe won our test hands down over the others. This pipe is VERY user friendly.

Winner:

HTB/Sliver Bullet Pipes

Silver Bullet *

13.8 sec lap average (4 laps)

50.8 MPH

Running length 8 7/8” plug to start of convergent cone

2nd Place

Rossi Motors

Rossi Nitro (Small Volume)*

14.37 sec lap average (4 laps)

48.0 MPH

3rd Place

Rossi Motors

Rossi Quite

14.39 sec lap average (4 laps)

48.4MPH

4th Place

Irwins Mufflers

Irwin Stamped Nitro*

14.99 sec lap average (4 laps)

47.7 MPH

5th Place

Garcia

Garcia Small Volume Nitro*

14.54 sec lap average (4 laps)

46.9 MPH

Running length 8 3/4” plug to start of convergent cone

A total of 11 pipes were tried on the boat. One was lost.. (yea it was am old one of mine)

I would like to thank all the people that helped with the test by sending me their pipes for testing.

In all fairness I would like to get one more chance to take a few of the pipes that did not make the top 5 and test them again. I could tell that the lengths for these pipes were not optimized and more testing would need to be done. However im out of time as we are to close to the Internats to test any further.

Hope you enjoyed

Grimracer

Hey Grim,

Thanks for doing the first O/B pipe test and sharing the results. Not a surprise the Rossi muffled pipe did respectably well, and being "legal" out of the box at that. :D No secrets here, I've been a fan of that pipe for several years now, and made a few changes for the better along the way. Keep us informed of any continued testing and results. Congrats on the wins at the Joliet race, me and the Lynxy-cat are still going to make it to a race yet B)

the Wallster

Hi everyone. I just ordered a gadjetcraft carbon pipe fom Andrew at fastelectrics.com. I am new to tunnels and have aquired an Aeromarine Predator.

I will not ba able to test for awhile, but just letting people know these pipes are available, albiet costly. FYI. :D

I found the Silver Bullit to work better than the Irwin 3.5 Muffled Pipe supplied by Jimmy E. However, it now appears Jimmy E. isn't supplying pipes to anyone.

Here's my question about the Silver Bullit. Will I need to run a muffler can on the stinger to meet the IMPBA dB level? I haven't checked the dB level of the SB.

JD

Hi Jerry,

To play it safe.. please add a stinger muffler or Inverted stinger in/on the pipe.. It will save you lots of trouble come race day.

Your in so much trouble now.... man.. not kidding right Russ!!!

Looking forward to racing with you this year.

Grim

I took some db readings at our pond, on several pipes. Silver Bullet included withouy a muff of any kind it had a 88 db sound level. But as per impba rules at this time a muffler devise has to be used at this time. a inverted stinger is a legal muff, as long as it gos back to the thickest part of the pipe.

Tom.

10x8 said:
Hi everyone.  I just ordered a gadjetcraft carbon pipe fom Andrew at fastelectrics.com.  I am new to tunnels and have aquired an Aeromarine Predator.I will not ba able to test for awhile, but just letting people know these pipes are available, albiet costly.  FYI. :D

105194[/snapback]

Yes you would have paid a lot of money for that one and its not mufled! so be aware you will need to confirm to the Australian noise rulings if you are going to race. CF pipes are available from SPP in OZ and are mufled.

grim

Thanks for you test results, It is good to see someone willing to put that sort of effort in to testing his boat. As you say this was to find the best setup for your boat. And not a general this is the best pipe to get test.

Thanks again

Dave

SPP

1stly - Thanks Mike Z - not many people would go to such lengths, and even fewer would share the results a few weeks before the internats!

2nd - I've done similar tests in the past in conjunction with air prop tests on the bench and it is amazing the difference some pipes make on some engines. What works on engine X doesn't always work the same on engine Y and so on. For example an engine which has a short stroke, 4 port design, pipes that figured well in Mike's test were very average on my test. It's all about the combination ;)

Basically - if you run the same engine and prop as what Mike ran - then pay close attention to his results - he's just saved you many hours of testing and a lot of money on pipes you may never use!

10x8, if you need any help with your outboard - come on out to Penrith on a club day - we are only too glad to help out.

Tim.

Tim_Duggan said:
10x8, if you need any help with your outboard - come on out to Penrith on a club day - we are only too glad to help out.

Thanks Tim, I will take you up on that offer. We muck around with airboats and have made the move to tunnels. I am fitting a TT to a gadjetcraft and a mate has the OS on his gadjetcraft. The OS runs very well and mine is yet to see water.

I notice the next meet is 24th July? Is this correct?

Actually I do have 3.6 million questions, but it's probably better to ask in you in person. That will be invaluable. Thanks for that and I will post again/ or email sooner to the day for more details.

I purchased the carbon pipe out of sheer excitement :lol:

Hey Mike:

Interesting stuff, even for an "O/B challenged" guy like me. :blink:

Just curious about the size of the internal stinger you used. Got an I/D for us? Did you use brass tubing? Did you put a small hole near the end to let the pipe "clean out"?

Enquiring minds need to know. :eek:

ps: Tell Squeek to hang in there, hope to see him in London in August, can't make the Nats this year. :(

Back