Pipe Question

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chris Thomas

Looking at setting the pipe brackets and length for my Phil Thomas SS45. I have a few different pipes and don't know which to set up. I'm using an OPS 45. I have a Irwin quiet pipe, MAC nitro pipe, Irwin nitro pipe and a stinger to meet the IMPBA dB ruling. Which is the better option? How long should I start ? Is heat buildup going to be a factor if the pipe is completely covered by a stealth cowl? I have seen only a handful all under the deck, even Phil runs above the hatch...

Buoyhunter said:
Looking at setting the pipe brackets and length for my Phil Thomas SS45. I have a few different pipes and don't know which to set up. I'm using an OPS 45. I have a Irwin quiet pipe, MAC nitro pipe, Irwin nitro pipe and a stinger to meet the IMPBA dB ruling. Which is the better option? How long should I start ? Is heat buildup going to be a factor if the pipe is completely covered by a stealth cowl? I have seen only a handful all under the deck, even Phil runs above the hatch...
102719[/snapback]

I notice most of the Sport40 racer's out here that run the "Mutt", all have the pipe under the cowl,,and I think the MAC pipe is what most use. I use the MAC in my SS45 Turbine, set at 10 3/8in from the exhaust side of the piston,,but I must tell you that I'm not competitive in that class.

Jerry,

"Not Competitive in that class" Why not? You probably have the wrong propeller

on that Sport 40. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Have Fun Boating,

Mark Sholund

Jerry Wyss said:
Buoyhunter said:
102719[/snapback]

I notice most of the Sport40 racer's out here that run the "Mutt", all have the pipe under the cowl,,and I think the MAC pipe is what most use. I use the MAC in my SS45 Turbine, set at 10 3/8in from the exhaust side of the piston,,but I must tell you that I'm not competitive in that class.

102722[/snapback]

Jerry,

Your pipe may be too long. I have a modified Picco 45 in a rigger that is less than 9". A sport 40 will require a longer pipe so will a stock engine but I would think that you could get it shorter for more speed.

A friend of mine once stated that it you can run a much shorter pipe that you may think. Testing is the only way to prove it. Richen up the needle slightly each 1/4" you go in.

shoboat said:
Jerry,
"Not Competitive in that class" Why not? You probably have the wrong propeller

on that Sport 40. :lol:   :lol:   :lol:

Have Fun Boating,

Mark Sholund

102726[/snapback]

Hey Mark, I'm using a 1455 3-blade with the Picco black head,,but my problem

is that there are so few boater's over here that i don't get any help to run the darn thin' to sort it all the way out for racing.

While I have you attention Mark, that 1440 Grim Sig prop you made up for my Thunder Tiger 21 OB (38.51mm X 3.33 cup) was just a bit much for where i'm racing,,it is Perfect at the pond where I test. A little less dia would be the ticket(and you remember the smaller size of the Tiger's prop shaft) Talley Ho, Bro

John Knight said:
Jerry Wyss said:
Buoyhunter said:
102719[/snapback]

102722[/snapback]

Jerry,

Your pipe may be too long. I have a modified Picco 45 in a rigger that is less than 9". A sport 40 will require a longer pipe so will a stock engine but I would think that you could get it shorter for more speed.

A friend of mine once stated that it you can run a much shorter pipe that you may think. Testing is the only way to prove it. Richen up the needle slightly each 1/4" you go in.

102731[/snapback]

Thank's John for your post, but believe it or not I Have Enough Speed, it's all the hull can handle, but like I said with Mark I don't get to run it that much 'cept when I take it too a race, and that's not a good time to make alot of major change's. the Blackhead has some pretty serious torque and it don't seem to mind the pipe length,,but I just need to run it more :huh:

Jerry Wyss said:
John Knight said:
Jerry Wyss said:
Buoyhunter said:
102719[/snapback]

Ok Buoyhunter, you have what you need.. I run that boat with the turbine cowl. It covers the pipe completely. On the stealth cowl, you just have to be sure there are air holes in it somewhere. Most of my friends put slots on the top.

I run the OPS and the Irwin Nitro pipe with a stinger. Set at 10 3/8.

I won the race at Huntsville 2 weeks ago with that setup.

Brian

Thanks for all the info Fellas. I seen a couple of Phils boats this weekend at our race. None of them were completely cowled in. The turbine cowl is nice. but I ordered a stealth cowl. I was just thinkin it would keep in too much heat under the deck. Adding air holes will let in roostertails...

Back