Pictures of Carl Brey Carb?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mike Rappold

Supporting Member
Does anyone have any pictures of a Carl Brey carb? I have heard they have a "ring" for the spray bar. I am curious how this looks and works. Are the spray bar holes angled towards the engine any?

Any photos would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold

Does anyone have any pictures of a Carl Brey carb? I have heard they have a "ring" for the spray bar. I am curious how this looks and works. Are the spray bar holes angled towards the engine any?

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold
I think I still have one Pop made a while back. I'll try to bring it to the pond Sunday.

We couldn't get them to work well. They are cool to watch when the engine is running.

-Buck-

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold
I think I still have one Pop made a while back. I'll try to bring it to the pond Sunday.

We couldn't get them to work well. They are cool to watch when the engine is running.

-Buck-
Carbs were called CB Marine "jetring". A friend used one on a .90 CMB GP in a hydro and it ran great. Richard D

Sorry, don't have a picture of one, but did use one on an OPS 67 in a scale for years.

Yes the holes were angled back toward the engine. And the "jet ring" was removable, you could buy different diameter rings, and you could change the bore of the carb with different sized rings. Pretty neet stuff

Rick

Mike,

I have quite a few in my collection,all sizes.

Carl was a very forward thinker. I will dig them out and see

if I can get some pictures out. Having trouble with the pictures.

Walt is good with the camera.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

Last edited by a moderator:
I have many, also. No pics though, as my laptop's HDD has died. I'm working on replacing. Til then I get online a lunch from work. (Or late at night on one of the kid's PC's)

One draw back with them is that they are somewhat non-linear. Kind of like a light switch; but when they're on, they're ON.

I have many, also. No pics though, as my laptop's HDD has died. I'm working on replacing. Til then I get online a lunch from work. (Or late at night on one of the kid's PC's)
One draw back with them is that they are somewhat non-linear. Kind of like a light switch; but when they're on, they're ON.
kinda sounds like my '72 kawasaki 750 2 stroke triple. no throttle, just off & ON, as in hold on :ph34r: !

i rarely ride mine anymore, jon. parts are VERY hard to come by. a company called denco had their way with it when it was new. ported, triple squish band heads, their (denco) chambers & vm 36 mikuni's. i have since added a 1 tooth smaller countershaft sprocket, a swingarm off a '74 (1" longer, helps keep the front wheel down), bilstein rear shox & springs, air fork kit, tapered roller bearings in the steering head, needle bearings on the swingarm & a full size (7") headlite bucket for a modern halogen/H-4 bosch headlite. "hold on" might be an understatement, dyno'd at 148 hp, weighs 387 lbs, with a powerband that comes on like a bottlerocket! i have NEVER lost a race to a street legal car, & very **** few to bracket cars or other motorcycles. frame # 304, engine # 284, supposedly the first one sold in fl. no it's NOT for sale................... enough threadjacking, i'll hush now.

Thanks in advance.

Mike Rappold
Mike - I used to run them on 67-80- and 90 motors. They ran very well for us. I have an original, and I think I still have the jigs to press the rings in and out. I made some myself, but they were not as good as his cause I made the "jets" too big. Your welcome to the one I have if you want it

Mike,

I put 3 pics of a Carl Brey carb in my gallery.I just can't get any better pics with my pos camera. The spray bar holes are so small, you'll never see them in my pics. but I tried :)

https://www.intlwaters.com/gallery/displayimage...m=605&pos=9

you'll have to click on misc for the pics. For some reason it won't allow me a direct link.

I BROKE MINE OUT YESTERDAY AND IM GOING TO GIVE IT A TRY BUT THE HOLES IN THE RING ARE GUMMED UP. HOW DOES THE RING COME OUT?

I believe they press out, but you need a special tool to do it.

instead of disassembling try soaking the carb in Mercury Power Tune

It will desolve all of the varnish, gum, and castor residue

I believe they press out, but you need a special tool to do it.instead of disassembling try soaking the carb in Mercury Power Tune

It will desolve all of the varnish, gum, and castor residue
OH YAH I LOVE POWER TUNE ITS THE BOMB I HAVE USED IT FOR YEARS IN MY LINE OF BUISNESS GREAT IDEA THANKS

power tune, seafoam, etc. are good. i started turning wrenches on boats in '69, right after high school. went to both omc & merc school........... the BEST thing i've ever seen for our special kind of gunked up stuff is hoppe's #9 nitro solvent. go to wally world, they have it in sporting goods. it's a solvent for cleaning guns. gun barrels in particular. i've had it work, when NOTHING else would ;) . way better than even the crock pot full of antifreeze.

They were great carbs. I ran one on my OPS 90 motor. The only issue was that the holes in the ring would get plugged up. When the motor was running fuel would come out as a spray from all of the holes in the ring and converge in the middle of the barrel of the ring. It was excellent atomization of the fuel.

He also made a carb out of a throttle exhaust for me for the OPS 90 and it worked great.

I always enjoyed seeing him at the Atlanta Spring Nationals. He was a CRAFTSMAN and shared his work with all of us. We are sorely lacking these types of individuals in our hobby today. Gary

Back