Simple Green Degreaser for part cleaning

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My Harbor Freight cleaner has a built in heater,I use enough simple green to cover the bottom maybe 4 oz. Then fill with water and turn heater on,after 5 minutes I clean my parts. I would caution anyone using antifreeze to be aware its dangerous to breathe the fumes it emits when boiling. What ever method you use be safe. PS my son uses Pine Sol in his to clean fuel injectors

Just a heads up for anyone using the Ultra Sonic Cleaners that Palmolive Dish Washing Detergent also works very well, but I would caution you about using Dawn. It will turn any aluminum part a dark gun metal gray color very quickly. The case at the bottom was a brand new Zenoah Case after 15 minutes using Dawn. The top item was cleaned with Palmolive.

Be prepared to re-oil all of your steel parts upon removal from the cleaner. As Mike said all of the oil will be removed from the parts and this happens fairly quickly. The first batch of bearings I cleaned were already surface rusted when I pulled them out of the cleaner.

You will also be shocked at the material that comes out of any brand new engine or parts you clean with it.

Regards,

Ronnie King
NAMBA #1223

NAMBA #1223View attachment 298472
That's crazy ... almost looks like it's been anodized...

I am not sure but we might have turned this into two different things.

Cleaning motors for reassembly
Cleaning motors from burnt on crap (of course we know that has Castor)
We even tossed on some welding! LOL

I have found cleaning for reassembly a ultrasonic cleaner is the hot ticket. I for sure want to try the Palmolive deal!

For burnt on crud.. i use a crock pot (outside) and green antifreeze. (have cleaned some NASTY motors as good as new and if ya all have ever OWEND a Fox motor and ran it on castor blended fuel.. ya all know what I am talking about!) The steel parts dont respond as well as the aluminum parts to this but.. most of the steel bits are internal anyway. (liners, cranks, rings).

When done they are good looking and worthy of Dons engines case!

NOTE: I have never had to toss a marine engine in the antifreeze.. I WAY prefer SYN oils in my marine motors anyway and so.. they just dont get nasty (most dont get nasty anyway)

Be well and Merry Christmas

Grim

Any recommendations for a good ultrasonic cleaner? I saw the one on Harbor freight's website, but it appears problematic from some of the comments... but again, it's only 89 bucks...
I'd like to look at one that is big enough to clean a tuned pipe if possible...

In my Ultrasonic cleaner i use Dawn blue soap for cleaning and cleans great for the engine and tune pipes.

Dave

I have used the antifreeze in a crock pot to clean engines for rebuilding with disasterus results.. all the shiny aluminum turned a gray black. handling the parts would get your hands dirty. I was able to clean them somewhat by putting them in a rock tumbler with ground walnut shells for 2 to 3 days. I wont ever do it again

I have used the antifreeze in a crock pot to clean engines for rebuilding with disasterus results.. all the shiny aluminum turned a gray black. handling the parts would get your hands dirty. I was able to clean them somewhat by putting them in a rock tumbler with ground walnut shells for 2 to 3 days. I wont ever do it again
I have a feeling that galvanic etching may be playing a role here. If you put the entire engine in an electrolytic solution, the aluminum parts will get corroded before steel. I would disassemble the engine first and put the parts in the bath instead of immersing the entire engine

k

Latest posts

Back