Picco 67 Engines

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

007clint

I now have two Picco 67's (broke rods on both). In breaking them down, I realize I have two types and I need help from a Picco expert! I believe they are both Picco 67 EXR's but now I am confused. Some internet research is unconclusive and mentions pre-EXR Picco 67's, old style EXR Picco 67's, new style Picco 67's, disk Picco 67's, drum Picco 67's, and Square Case Picco 67's.

How many types are there? Are some of these the same? Which ones do I have?

I see how the case, crank, and back plate are different but are rods. pistons, and sleeves the same?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess up the two re-builds.

Picco67types.jpg

The right one has an OS carb whereas the left one does not. Which is the stronger engine?

I now have two Picco 67's (broke rods on both). In breaking them down, I realize I have two types and I need help from a Picco expert! I believe they are both Picco 67 EXR's but now I am confused. Some internet research is unconclusive and mentions pre-EXR Picco 67's, old style EXR Picco 67's, new style Picco 67's, disk Picco 67's, drum Picco 67's, and Square Case Picco 67's.
How many types are there? Are some of these the same? Which ones do I have?

I see how the case, crank, and back plate are different but are rods. pistons, and sleeves the same?

Sorry for all the questions but I don't want to mess up the two re-builds.

Picco67types.jpg

The right one has an OS carb whereas the left one does not. Which is the stronger engine?
Joe Warren on here is tough on these motors. Most prefer the drum rotor square bottom motor.An absolute must is rod side clearance. Parts are hard to find i have bits and pieces

Everything that you have there is inter-changable. But I would suggest that you run the drum rotor on everything. Rod, Pistons & sleeves.

Volume in the case is different. And they are All EXR. The changes are what you have. From Round bottom to square, and from Disk to rotor.

Oh, forgot to mention, Blue head Vs Silver head. Yes there is a difference there too.

Last edited by a moderator:
If it's only broken rods ... you have two options ,

Contact Brad Christy for one of his aftermarket rods. >titan-racing[at]sbcglobal.net<

or contact Alex Noller (German OPS distr.) >noller-modellbau[at]freenet.de<

Because there are rods interchangable between OPS and Picco.

Or do what i did when that kept happening throw them away and go CMB
Yep Buy a green Cmb & Go half as fast..... There has not been a Engine to Date to compare to a Picco EXR 67....... :lol: :lol: the rod problems could easily be fixed IF you knew what to do to them before you broke them. Picco EXR 67 for $275.00. In a box race engine. Those were the Good ole days..... :rolleyes:

OR..............Just post here what part you have and I an SURE SOME ONE will BUY them!!! :lol: :lol: :D :D

Hey Joe,

You must have been on a very long vacation because for the last few years CMB 67's have set most of the records in SAW & 2-LAP time trials!!!! I have ran both Picco & CMB and i'am here to tell ya CMB is stronger in toruqe and rpm out of the box!!!! Also will outlast any exr picco. The CMB67 is one of the most bullitproof motors built to date....

IT'S ALL GOOD :) :) :)

Don :p

If it's only broken rods ... you have two options ,Contact Brad Christy for one of his aftermarket rods. >titan-racing[at]sbcglobal.net<

Actually, I have purchased 2 titan racing rods for the two engines. Other than cleaning everything (including bearings) and lubricating well prior to start-up, is there anything else I should check?

Also, can I then just replace the disk backplate assembly with a drum backplate assembly in the "round bottom"?

Richen them things up Clint!

You were running them TOO lean!!!!!! It's a hard lesson to learn but over rev on the beach is FAR from high performance fuel flow. ;)

Fix them and come to the pond with us. I can help. :)

-Buck-

Yes, you can put the drun rotor on there. Second." PUT AT LEAST THREE GASKETS on that rotor houseing. " IT WILL NOT HURT"

NOW, Free information that will save you!!!Take close inspection of the failed rod. Once you see WHY it failed you will need to fix that on the the TiTAN ROD.

And Please do not come back with " Well what is it???" The greatest thing you can do is LEARN for yourself............It is a good Feeling!!!!

Hey Joe, You must have been on a very long vacation because for the last few years CMB 67's have set most of the records in SAW & 2-LAP time trials!!!! I have ran both Picco & CMB and i'am here to tell ya CMB is stronger in toruqe and rpm out of the box!!!! Also will outlast any exr picco. The CMB67 is one of the most bullitproof motors built to date....

Don I dont see you on the Atlanta Spring nats entry... Or I will show you what Iam talking about...... The bullsxit stops when the Green Rag Drops!!!!!! :lol: :lol: if you have New 67-80 piccos for SALE ?? Please let me know I will buy them........

If it's only broken rods ... you have two options ,Contact Brad Christy for one of his aftermarket rods. >titan-racing[at]sbcglobal.net<

Actually, I have purchased 2 titan racing rods for the two engines. Other than cleaning everything (including bearings) and lubricating well prior to start-up, is there anything else I should check?

Also, can I then just replace the disk backplate assembly with a drum backplate assembly in the "round bottom"?
What type of metal are the rods made of?

Yes, you can put the drun rotor on there. Second." PUT AT LEAST THREE GASKETS on that rotor houseing. " IT WILL NOT HURT"
NOW, Free information that will save you!!!Take close inspection of the failed rod. Once you see WHY it failed you will need to fix that on the the TiTAN ROD.

And Please do not come back with " Well what is it???" The greatest thing you can do is LEARN for yourself............It is a good Feeling!!!!
Thanks ... If I understand correctly now:

There is a pre-EXR (none of mine); There is an older silver-head, round bottom, disk rotor EXR w/Picco carb; and There is a newer blue-head, square bottom, drum rotor EXR w/O.S. carb.

The drum rotor can be substituted for the disk rotor and the O.S. carb can be substituted for the Picco carb (the combination of which caused my confusion with my three Picco 67 EXR's!

If this is not 100% correct - Please Reply.

Thanks for everyone's help!

What type of metal are the rods made of?
Brad Christy (Titan Racing Components) indicated that he no longer makes Ti rods for any Picco engines. He does, however, make them out of 7075-T6 aluminum, and he says they perform well.

Last edited:
Richen them things up Clint! You were running them TOO lean!!!!!! It's a hard lesson to learn but over rev on the beach is FAR from high performance fuel flow. ;)

Fix them and come to the pond with us. I can help. :)

-Buck-
I know you offered to help but I didn't want to bother you since you were preparing one of your riggers for a race (by the way - very impressive the care you take with your engines). I learned the lesson the hard way. I'll get them rebuilt and see you at the pond.

Hey Joe, You must have been on a very long vacation because for the last few years CMB 67's have set most of the records in SAW & 2-LAP time trials!!!! I have ran both Picco & CMB and i'am here to tell ya CMB is stronger in toruqe and rpm out of the box!!!! Also will outlast any exr picco. The CMB67 is one of the most bullitproof motors built to date....

Don I dont see you on the Atlanta Spring nats entry... Or I will show you what Iam talking about...... The bullsxit stops when the Green Rag Drops!!!!!! :lol: :lol: if you have New 67-80 piccos for SALE ?? Please let me know I will buy them........

Joe, the only picco's I have left are just plain wore out & not worth the time or money to make as good as the CMB's that I have now. ;)

Atlanta is just to far for me to go to show you what a CMB can do against a picco this year. maybe next year! <_<

Don :)

PS I am sure I'll see your roostertail AS I LAP YOU!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't benchracing great?????? :D :D :D

Joe, the only picco's I have left are just plain wore out & not worth the time or money to make as good as the CMB's that I have now. ;)

Atlanta is just to far for me to go to show you what a CMB can do against a picco this year. maybe next year! <_<

PS I am sure I'll see your roostertail AS I LAP YOU!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: Ain't benchracing great?????? :D :D :D
Don Your Dreaming. :lol: Picco`s dont Get Lapped. They have set more Records & Won US-1`s from coast to coast any any others. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: **** shame they are no longer built...... :( :( Its Not SMACK if you can back it up

Don Your Dreaming. :lol: Picco`s dont Get Lapped. They have set more Records & Won US-1`s from coast to coast any any others. :rolleyes: :rolleyes: **** shame they are no longer built...... :( :( Its Not SMACK if you can back it up
I hold the E hydro oval record with a Picco 67 and share the f record with Kentley Porter with a picco 80.

They both run over 100 mph all day long. Just use an os max 9b carb and an aftermarket rod. I agree with Joe............ No CMB will do what the Picco does.

Back