Phoenix OB rigger [project pleaserunanddontflip]

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

_laxmasta2039

hey guys,

i guess the US Customs spooks finally got bored of probing my boat for messages from Saddam or bomb or something, because it came this afternoon!!

all i've done is start to wipe the dust off the hull and the old grease off the engine, but i've got some q's if yall would be so kind as to take a shot:

i havent connected the servo rods yet, but it seems that turning the engine to the side opposite the throttle rod would pull on the throttle rod and make the engine rev....what's stopping this from happening?

the only servos i have are regular ol' Futaba S3003s, will one of them be powerful enough to turn the engine using a pull-pull [both servo arms have a rod connected to them as opposed to an inboard's rudder, which just has one, hence pull-pull instead of pull-push] config.?

also, should i be expecting as much tippiness in an OB rigger as an IB rigger? more? less?

thanks,

Joe

Joe, The throttle lead needs to have some slack in it so it doesnt open the throttle when the motor is turning...the cable should have little slack when the motor is turned to the left (looking from the back of the boat)

I wouldadvise you to get a better servo like a hitec 615 or something like that...the standard servos arnt strong enough for the torque weight of the motor...

Kris

kris,

the only thing holding me back is my budget, which doesnt grow at all in these winter months because there are no soccer games to ref and it took a further hit when i broke a double-paned window practising lacrosse.... :-X :- :-[ im in the red right now.

Joe

Hi,

Use a cable with a slight S bend in it for the throttle (same as for tunnels). The servos will not be strong enough and you will need to get a stronger one. OB outriggers are still outriggers and behave like it.

Grimracer should be able to give you some great advice as he is a OB outrigger guru.

All the best with your project, I'm going to do a Prather Spitfire II shortly and so will also have the experience.

cheers

GT 8)

thanks guys,

im starting to understand the nature of this rare beast....

i noticed that the blade or rudder of the engine is slightly sharpened on the leading edge...would it be a good idea to make it as sharpe as possible for less drag?

also, would it be possible to use the S3003 with two servo batt. packs hooked up to increase amperage instead of a more powerful servo? i'll probably need to put weight in the front of the hull anyway.

Joe

Hi,

If you are determined and have the space you could hook 2 of your servos together (through link rods - one behind the other) and run on 6v. This should get you by. From memory (which is starting to go now I'm so old- LOL) the phoenix used to use an auxillary rudder parralel to the OB to assist with turning. You will need to mount your turn fin further back than originally as well. You need to get some info from Grimracer I think.

cheers

GT 8)

LAX

Does the throttle cable attach to the motor right now? What i mean is there a clamp that is holding the cable sheath to the motor. If not you need one. At this point you need to allow slop in the cable for the motor to turn as stated by the rest of the gang.

Also make sure that the cable sheath is attached to a point in the hull. In otherwords the cable sheath must be fixed to the motor before the throttle arm and on the other end before the servo arm.

Do you understand?

Lax you have my envey as i have never had a Phoenix and would like to drive one some day...dog... :p ;D

Grim,

i've got a clamp that attaches to the engine i think, it was just dangling on the end of the pushrod when i got it [he unistalled the engine for shipping] but i cant figure out where to attach it.... :-X there are two sets of holes [one higher and one lower] for the steering pushrod holder [a plastic "square minus one side" thing that attaches to the engine and also to the pushrods] and i put it on the lower set, this seemed to be the set that the pushrods were fixed to use. i thought the throttle pushrod clamp would go here, but it doesnt work, the rod sheath is bent way up and the hole's the wrong bore ???

all three sheaths [two steering and one throttle] are attached inside the hull, so i shouldnt have to worry about flexing there. man, i've gotta get some pics on here, its all up to my bro and him telling me where the usb connector for the digi camera is.. :)

grim,

you let me take your villian for a run and feel free to try me pheonix.... :) :D

no seriously, if i ever see you at a race somewhere you can be sure the pheonix will be with me and you can use it as much as you want, provided you tune it to the best of your abilities.... :) : :)

Joe

The throttle cable clamp is held on by the case screw on the front top right hand side of the engine.

got it on,

i screwed it in from the other side, so it went through the large-bored hole first, then into the clamp itself which holds it in. i've just about got everything else in place, though im having a little trouble with one of the engine mount holes.....besides the turning servo all that needs doing is a little fiberglass patchwork in places that the paint has cracked off in. what do you guys use to sharpen the engine blade/rudder's leading edge and the turn fin's leading edge? would a generic knife sharpener work?

Joe

GTR,

the turn fin is currently mounted at the very back of the right sponson, as on a standard rigger. im not sure what you mean by mounting it farther back, do you mean mounting on the main body, or on the rear sponson?

I found a Hitec HS715BB sail winch servo w/ 189 oz./in torque for 35 bucks which sounds like a good deal considering that the cheapest high-torque Futaba was 80 bucks.

Grim,

have you ever raced an OB rigger along side other boats?

im wondering if i'll be competing against other riggers or other OBs.....hoping OBs but not villians!! :)

Joe

Hi Lax

The turn fin needs to be much further back on or behind the CoG. To do this you will need an extension from the fron sponson backwards toward the transom and a brace from the tub out to the fin.

I think the servo you are talking about is all wrong for this application - you should try for a HiTec 605, 615 or similar. Shouldn't be too dear.

Keep at it and get some running shots when it's going will ya.

cheers

GT 8)

okay,

thanks for letting me know....the boat is in very good condition and the engine is new, so the only reason for selling the boat that i can see would be that Glen [the former owner] couldnt get the boat to handle correctly, and the turn fin probably had something to do with that.

i'll be sure to get some running shots, especially if it starts flipping every run and i cant figure out why... :)

do you think the Hitec 645 would work?

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti00...p?&I=LXUZ89&P=0

i couldnt find the 605 or 615 on tower, and ive found them to be by far the the cheapest and most reliable place to get radio equipment, though good boating supplies is a different story.

Joe

Back