Phil thomas T-5 BUD hull could i make it the Beacon Plumbing

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BlueBlaster

Well I seen the Phil thomas hull and its a T-5 hull and i was thinking if i could make the Beacon Plumbing hydroplane. the Beacon was a bud hull and as the LLumar which was a T-5 hull i think, I know the diehard scale people would say that the Beacon isn't offset . I have seen the PT T-5 hull as the Elam Plus and i havent seen the elam with the offset. With a few mods to it i think it look close and im not planning to race it its going to be a FE boat cant run with nitro race so with would it be a big issue or is it just a matter of opinion. There is a guy that does make the update hulls, im just curious to here other opinion about it . here is a Pic of the T-5 BUD and the BEACON PLUMBING and a LLumar phil thomas t5 bud

07_37_06_20Poster.jpg

98_01_05_20Poster.jpg

dscf0295_2.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I seen the Phil thomas hull and its a T-5 hull and i was thinking if i could make the Beacon Plumbing hydroplane. the Beacon was a bud hull and as the LLumar which was a T-5 hull i think, I know the diehard scale people would say that the Beacon isn't offset . I have seen the PT T-5 hull as the Elam Plus and i havent seen the elam with the offset. With a few mods to it i think it look close and im not planning to race it its going to be a FE boat cant run with nitro race so with would it be a big issue or is it just a matter of opinion. There is a guy that does make the update hulls, im just curious to here other opinion about it . here is a Pic of the T-5 BUD and the BEACON PLUMBING and a LLumar phil thomas t5 bud
The Beacon is actually the t-4 hull. The two wing bud. However it was extensively modified and filled in when plruchased by Bill Wurster.

I think with some minor modifications you should be all right. I have seen many a scale boat that wasn't that close over the years.

My T5 hull will work for the electric setup, there have been a few done. The Beacon boat can be done, get some detail pictures of the transom if you wnat to do it real scale. The overall layout of both hulls are the same, wings and offset hulls.

PHIL T

The Beacon is actually the t-4 hull. The two wing bud. However it ewas extensively modified and filled in when plruchased by Bill Wurster.

I think with some minor modifications you should be all right. I have seen many a scale boat that wasn't that close over the years.
That was stupied to to fill in those areas!! Wouldve left it alone,Ran that T-4 hull as is!!!! I know in the mid 90's alot of teams ran a similar hulls like the T-4 design. I Wonder why they dont anymore??? The T-4 has similar feechers/design as the T-5 hulls just dont have the cutouts by the cowl/hull deck.

That was stupied to to fill in those areas!! Wouldve left it alone,Ran that T-4 hull as is!!!! I know in the mid 90's alot of teams ran a similar hulls like the T-4 design. I Wonder why they dont anymore??? The T-4 has similar feechers/design as the T-5 hulls just dont have the cutouts by the cowl/hull deck.

The T-4 and other multi-wing hulls (T-Plus, Circus Circus, etc) were built when there was no restriction on power. When the governing body started resricting the turbines, these types of hulls were not as competitive. The design needed the extra horsepower.

If I recall correctly, in 1993 the T-Plus 2-wing hull ran the fastest competition lap ever in Honolulu.

Found the information: At Honolulu, the team ran conservatively in the preliminary heats, but David turned up the speed when it counted in the finale. The result was a clear-cut victory for MISS T-PLUS over MISS BUDWEISER in the Final Heat, as the boat set a world record speed of 154.025 miles per hour for the 12.5-mile distance. MISS BUDWEISER and driver Chip Hanauer also surpassed the record in the Honolulu Final, running 152.445.

Rick

The Beacon is actually the t-4 hull. The two wing bud. However it ewas extensively modified and filled in when plruchased by Bill Wurster.

The reason that the 2 wing hulls went away is that the APBA started restricting fuel and mandating stock parts in the turbines to save money (at least for everyone but the Bud team, who didn't care as they had the big wallet). The boats just didn't generate enough lift with less horsepower. There were several 2 wing boats. Exide, Truckgear. All of them eventually got modified I think. The next generation of new boats were all wider with bigger tunnels to compensate for less power/lift.

if i remember rightly the t5 bud is now the U10 ahern boat

Actually the U-10 is the old T-3 hull. The T-5 and T-6 became the two Formula Boats.

The T-3 was cheaper and according to the Bud guys only abut 2 MPH slower than the newer boats, thus the Gregory's chose to save money and go with it.

if i remember rightly the t5 bud is now the U10 ahern boat

Actually the U-10 is the old T-3 hull. The T-5 and T-6 became the two Formula Boats.

The T-3 was cheaper and according to the Bud guys only abut 2 MPH slower than the newer boats, thus the Gregory's chose to save money and go with it.
Here are the numbers for most of the current hulls that Dale Van Weiringen, Rick Bowles had much to do with. The numbers would also be very similar for the new U-6 as the T-6 # 0001 hull. None of these hulls listed, had no cockpit offset with the center section. This is only a reference no more no less! Found @ namba.com

Just Have fun Doug

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back