Phantom & Phantom II

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
With flex shaft easyer to move motor to rear yes but Hard drive system not so.would make it more difficult to stay hard shaft.

Maybe design so turn fin load can't effect aoa of sponsons when under a load. extend out from hull not mounted to sponson. put waterpick in front of drive line less drag also make rudder thinner.less drag

The Concept of Phantom is less drag!!!!

An the Phantom was first to use fin design on sponson.

The fastest speed record broke this year by an FE rigger had fin on sponsons if im not mistaking.

Cant wait to see your drawings on the rear of the PHANTOM II

Ken

Last edited by a moderator:
The motor placement seems forward. The present trend is more to the rear.

I like the overall concept. Doc
Hi Gary

LOL, I haven't got to motor placement yet. The concept drawing is just that, a concept. When I have a prototype hull and sponsons built, I will leave the interior of the hull open and place all the components in it. I will then move them around to get the CG exactly where I want it. The turn fin is to the rear of the sponsons (reason for the extensions on the sponsons) to have the proper relationship with the CG. Joe

I see the styling your leaning toward maybe a spoiler connected across the hull down to sponsons also adjustable for lift.hulls that are longer can be narrower an still be stable.note F1 cars today are longer than years ago

Ken
Hi Ken, When I first started drawing the Phantom II, I drew it with a rear horizontal spoiler across the two rear sponsons (functional). Here is the problem, the function of the spoiler is dependent on the way the boat is set up. Spoilers do not create lift but rather down force. If the strut is set with a positive angle it will create lift and less cavitation thus the boat can use down force on the transom effectively. If the strut is set parallel with the surface of the water, it does not create lift and cavitates more. In this case down force on the transom would not be a good thing. In this evaluation, I am not including the inherent lift built into some props blades. A rounded blade has less lift than a pointed blade. In full scale boats they call them choppers (round tip blade) and cleavers (pointed tip blade). Anyway, it is a complex decision that I will have to make before the design is complete. I might add, the boat could be set up either way by the end consumer. Joe

Hi Joe

Looking forward to the Phantom II.Thanks for sharing the info looking forward to more design sharing thoughts.

What about hardware any new thoughts or changes.one of the most simplest changes I have seen an helps alot is the way the radio compartment is sealed today.(taped down) no more hull warping using thicker lids an gasket an screws. Clean an simple.

Ken

Hi Joe

Looking forward to the Phantom II.Thanks for sharing the info looking forward to more design sharing thoughts.

What about hardware any new thoughts or changes.one of the most simplest changes I have seen an helps alot is the way the radio compartment is sealed today.(taped down) no more hull warping using thicker lids an gasket an screws. Clean an simple.

Ken
Hi Ken, I will be using all the latest techniques including the taped on radio box cover.

Hi Guys

Ken just sent me a copy of my own plans (Phantom CE) from 40 years ago. When I spread them out on my drawing board, it hit me like a bullet! I said I will design the Phantom II but what I have been designing is a whole new boat. Well whoa, backup here for a minute! What I need to do is actually design the Phantom II. It will be recognizable as a Phantom but be sleeker, lighter and have all the latest technology. The new boat I have been working on will become the "Switch Blade" which I had planned on designing after the Phantom II. The Switch Blade will be an all new concept. It will utilize features never before seen on RC race boats or full scale boats for that matter. As a safe guard from possible copy cats, I will not mention its revolutionary features just yet but soon. Anyway, thanks Ken for your efforts, you have put me on the right track! Joe

Hi Guys

Ken just sent me a copy of my own plans (Phantom CE) from 40 years ago. When I spread them out on my drawing board, it hit me like a bullet! I said I will design the Phantom II but what I have been designing is a whole new boat. Well whoa, backup here for a minute! What I need to do is actually design the Phantom II. It will be recognizable as a Phantom but be sleeker, lighter and have all the latest technology. The new boat I have been working on will become the "Switch Blade" which I had planned on designing after the Phantom II. The Switch Blade will be an all new concept. It will utilize features never before seen on RC race boats or full scale boats for that matter. As a safe guard from possible copy cats, I will not mention its revolutionary features just yet but soon. Anyway, thanks Ken for your efforts, you have put me on the right track! Joe
Your Welcome Joe
After the messages from you I decide to haulted on the building of the Phantom waiting on the design of the phantom II Or Switch blade an keep the Phantom kit I have for a diplay boat later.An proceed finishing my new .12 an .21 boat I have sold a few HDR Pr0j3ct boats I been working on since I've returned to the hobby Oct 2014 after 35+ years. To make room for Your newer design. Glad to help.

Ken

HELLO GUYS

I got word from Joe Bishop today PHANTOM II prototype is in development stay tune for more Announcements.

Ken Olvis

Update

Prototype PHANTOM II CE is a .67 rigger Joe has informed me that its coming together ahead of schedule. Looking forward to testing an dialing in the 1st Factory boat for Joe Bishop. Also now on the drawing board is the .12 and .21 size Phantom II

Joe will be posting a few pics soon on this post.Stay Tune

If you have any Questions about this New designed PHANTOM II

You can message Joe Bishop or Ken Olvis also their is another factory driver ill let Joe make that announcement.

Thxs

Ken

Looks cool ! Looking forward to an 80 + MPH crash survivability report . Positive strut angle on a hydro is a new world , see what happens I guess .

I may not be a "rigger person" but this has me curious, to say the least
default_ph34r.png

Looks cool ! Looking forward to an 80 + MPH crash survivability report . Positive strut angle on a hydro is a new world , see what happens I guess .
Looking forward to crash?
I perfer no one tears up their gear!!!

But some do I Guess

Thxs

Ken

Hey Guys!

I think that some of you assume that the new boats will have a positive angle on the strut like the original boats had. Not true, the small boats will have a slight positive angle and the large boats will have no angle (parallel with surface). Of course, anyone can set up any of the Phantom II boats any way they want. Later! Joe

Hi Tom, survival of any boat is dependent on the strength of the hull, sponsons, etc. Strong means heavy! In designing a boat or a lot of other vehicles, strength verses weight is a trade off. The object is to design the boat to go fast not survive contact with a brick wall, LOL. With that said, I am sure there will be some boats with a greater survival capability than mine but hopefully not faster.

As for the strut angle, I addressed that above. As for positive strut angles, almost all full scale hydros run positive strut angles. My original Phantom ran a positive strut angle and was the fastest outrigger hydro I ever ran. It is a simple set of design parameters, you can use the prop to lift the rear of the hull (positive angle) or you can use a center ski or sponsons to lift the rear of the hull (O or parallel angle). Joe

Hi Joe,

First thanks for your lessons about riggerdesign .

My question is wy not plaze the prop closer to c.g. to lift the boat where it has not a so long leverarm . And if the boat rise the nose proptrust goes down as the propeller is out of the water .

Other quest ,sponson create lift as well ,better to run a higher angle of attack 4-6 degree and counter to much lift by a spoiler or better to run a very low angle of attack like 2-3 degree . Like your way of drawing .

Hi Tom, survival of any boat is dependent on the strength of the hull, sponsons, etc. Strong means heavy! In designing a boat or a lot of other vehicles, strength verses weight is a trade off. The object is to design the boat to go fast not survive contact with a brick wall, LOL. With that said, I am sure there will be some boats with a greater survival capability than mine but hopefully not faster.

As for the strut angle, I addressed that above. As for positive strut angles, almost all full scale hydros run positive strut angles. My original Phantom ran a positive strut angle and was the fastest outrigger hydro I ever ran. It is a simple set of design parameters, you can use the prop to lift the rear of the hull (positive angle) or you can use a center ski or sponsons to lift the rear of the hull (O or parallel angle). Joe
Actually that would be a negative angle lifting the transom . I've never heard of a "tucked " drive line angle referred to as positive only negative .IE trim up = positive , trim down level = neutral , trim down further = negative . All the hydros I've ever driven full size or models ,had a dead level or slightly negative propshaft angle .

Not talking about hitting a brick wall just being able to survive racing incidents with out returning to kit form that's all . I'm sure you will do a good job building it .

Photo shows negative driveline angle for example .

11668_353770608071109_769293863_n.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back