Paste Wax

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GraysonTaylor

Supporting Member
I think I read that it's a good idea to put a couple of thick coats of paste wax on the transom before bolting on your hardware. Any thoughts on this? It's a painted hull.

I think I read that it's a good idea to put a couple of thick coats of paste wax on the transom before bolting on your hardware. Any thoughts on this? It's a painted hull.
I don't think you want it slick. You might consider a light film of silicone to seal and keep from any shimmy on the surface and prevent water intrusion between the two surfaces.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've never heard of that before. I use paste wax on the area of the radio box that gets taped down to help with any residue that gets left behind when pulling the tape off. Some paints will be more prone to leaving a residue on the boat than others I have found.

I think it's just a matter of making sure your paint has cured/dried enough before you put your hardware on.

Just my 2 cents

Thanks,

Steve

Be sure to put a metal tubular spacers in the transom bolt holes to keep the brackets and the bolts & washers from compressing into the wood. The spacers need to be the width of the transom and flush on both sides. Nylon spacers work, but not as well!!!

I have used Simonize Floor Wax on the decking of my boats for years. It is an older product and comes in a yellow can and can be purchased at most hardware stores. Put it on let it glaze over and wipe off. The 3m tape will hold really well to it and leave no residue. Sometimes if you use old hardener with epoxy type paints it does not want to cure properly and the tape will leave a residue on it that is almost impossible to get off. I have no scientific reason for why it does this, I just know from experience. I agree with Steve, let the paint cure well.

In the end, just put some radio box tape on the bracket mounting surfaces before you mount them!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back