Parts compatability between engines (keeping the old ones running)

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PaulHail

I picked up a Picco P-90 and have read of their weak con rods and issues with the lower end bearing brinelling the crank pin. I've also read the solution back in the day was to swap out the stock rod for an RPM. Well with RPM no longer in business and folks still running these engines gobbling up the old stock, I've started to think of alternatives.

I was wondering if anyone has put together a chart of parts that are compatible between engines, if there are any. If I could just swap in a current production CMB or NovaRossi rod that would be great, but I have no idea what parts may be compatible.

Nothing is compatible with the old Picco 90s. There are still a few engines and parts floating around. Just have to ask around in the boating forums.

I recently modified a pair of new (never run) Picco Hydro 90s for a Twin. Those 25 year old engines still have potential if set up correctly.

Thanks Andy,

My plan is to use the engine to get the JAE 90 I'm building set up, run a few races for a season and then upgrade to a modern engine. If I can get that done with the engine by swapping the lower end bearing and say keeping to 25% nitro it'll serve it's purpose. The engine looks in pretty good shape with no signs of porting or detonation and a muffled pipe that wasn't cut down so my guess is it was likely run as a sport engine.

Jim,

I'll have to tear the engine down a bit further to get the rod out. It's a steel rod with caged needle bearing lower end.

Jim, I'd be interested in an RPM rod.

Do you know what the shaft thread is for the P-90? The engine came with a square flex nut for a 3/16" cable and I'll be running a 1/4" cable.

David that pico 80 and rod what is up with that stuff are you selling or building ?

Paul i will check on the rods and let you know, same for your question on shaft size i have a new 90 hydro motor i will research this

Jim,

Let me know what you figure out. I'd be interested in one or both of the RPM rods if they'll work in the P-90.

Thanks

I have some misc rods. Send me big and small IDs and center to center distance. Maybe i have one

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Ken,

Yes the engine has the bolt on exhaust header

p-90.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My micrometer and expanding gauges are still in storage so I had to use the jaws of a caliber so I'm sure I'm off a few thousandths.

Little end 0.277" / 7mm

Big end 0.357" / 9mm (for plain bearing i.e. rpm rod

Big end 0.475" / 12mm (stock rod needle bearing)

CtC 1.814" / 46 mm

Latest posts

Back