painting over K&B epoxy

• Thread starter anthony marquart
  • Start date
Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

anthony marquart

painting over K&B epoxy

I have a hull that is painted with the old K&B epoxy paint. I want sand it smooth, not strip it but just clean enough for fresh paint, then automotive clear over that. Will I have a problem with the old paint reacting to the new paint? crackle or something,..

What do you think guys?

Re:painting over K&B epoxy

Anthony,

Actually w/that K&B paint, it'll come off if you pour Ammonnia over it. Wait a couple of minutes and wipe it off w/a rag or towel. No matter what the paint you'll need to primer over it so it sticks and has something to bond to. Hopefully it won't react but what paint will you be using??

I don't think really need to take all the K&B off. I plan to use my palm sander to break the surface and smooth some things out. Then prime, sand, light prime and then paint with an automotive grade spray paint. Then I'll have it clear coated at a body shop,.

Do you think this will work?

It should work. But if the K&B comes off that easily, why not strip it? It's just added weight.

I'll try the ammonia thing. Might that attack the glue? This is a wooden rigger.

i wouldn't think ammonia will affect the glue in that short of time. paint stripper might affect it though, that is some harsh stuff.

The ammonnia won't effect it, just don't leave it on for a long time 5-15 minutes is okay. If a body shop paints it are they willing to correct any chemical reactions for free?? If not you'd best get all the paint off and primer it. I use Deltron PPG, when I do spot repairs on my boats I use a PPG like rattle can Primer called "SEM" High Builder primer Surface. Works great.

defanately strip it, that K&b paint is how old??? :eek:

and now you plan to put a 2K urithane paint system ontop of that? u cant put 2K on top of laquer based finishes uless they are sealed down and even then it is questionable how long till they touch each other, when they do BOOM, a paint reaction! all that time and $ spent on that beautifull paint job gone... :-[strip it down.

I'd sand it and do the repairs needed. The old K+B is really tuff stuff, and stays on like forever. Use PPG DP-48 epoxy primer sealer as a final coat before your new color. It is designed to seal and promote adhesion. We use it all the time. Then PPG DCC or Dupont Imron. Striping a wood boat is a mess at best, and a disaster at its worst.

Can any of these products be effectively applied with a brush?

Latest posts

Back