paint

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dwilfong

well time to paint my boat after the repairs. Went to the PPG dealer and all most passed out when he told me the price of paint. Bin a long time since I did any paint work. Could buy a new boat for less than the price of the paint. Well that enough of the ranting.

Has any one tried to use duplacouler emptied out of the can and sprayed with a gun then use a two part clear over top.

David

well time to paint my boat after the repairs. Went to the PPG dealer and all most passed out when he told me the price of paint. Bin a long time since I did any paint work. Could buy a new boat for less than the price of the paint. Well that enough of the ranting.

Has any one tried to use duplacouler emptied out of the can and sprayed with a gun then use a two part clear over top.

David
Dave,I painted two of my Oberto's with Dupi-color spray cans then used automotive clear it them..I used NAPA's crossfire clear on my boats..Hay did you check with there buget paint line?? It used to be called Omini and I think it was renamed shopline......NAPA has the crossfire system....PPG has the omini/shopline...Dupont has the NASON system...all these paint companys have a buget paint systems.. trust me there good and doesnt kill your walet eighter...

David
Dave,I painted two of my Oberto's with Dupi-color spray cans then used automotive clear it them..I used NAPA's crossfire clear on my boats..Hay did you check with there buget paint line?? It used to be called Omini and I think it was renamed shopline......NAPA has the crossfire system....PPG has the omini/shopline...Dupont has the NASON system...all these paint companys have a buget paint systems.. trust me there good and doesnt kill your walet eighter...
Nason is exacly same as Dupont clears.

There is an Imron copy that has good price also PM Terry Flynn he bought some. Super durable against nitro,maybe get someone to split larger sizes with you.Anything red is gonna cost.Either way paint aint cheap.

Last edited:
David,

DuPont makes at least two grades of clear. One is called NASON. It is the cheaper of the two and I wouldn't use it to paint a boat with. The other is called 2021. It's a very good polyeurethane and is my choice for any clearcoat application. It ain't cheap (over $100 for a quart mix, which acutally makes two quarts of paint), but it is VERY good. We painted a scrap piece of wood with it and let it fully cure (seven days). We then poured raw 65% nitro fuel on it an let it sit until it evaporated. After wiping the oil off, there was no evidence the fuel was ever there. I'm convinced.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Last edited by a moderator:
David,

I stand corrected. DuPont sells Nason and Imron. PPG sells 2021 Poly. The Imron and 2021 are about the same.

Sorry for any confusion.

Thanks. Brad.

Titan Racing Components

BlackJack Hydros

Well went to NAPA got some Acme finish 1 new brand thy have.2 part clear coat with hardener $32Qt.and a 2K primer same price. Thy can mix base coat color in 4 and 8oz. at $16 for 8oz and $8 for 4oz.

Going to give it a try and see what happens. Don't mind $100 for paint. Hope it works.

David

Well went to NAPA got some Acme finish 1 new brand thy have.2 part clear coat with hardener $32Qt.and a 2K primer same price. Thy can mix base coat color in 4 and 8oz. at $16 for 8oz and $8 for 4oz.

Going to give it a try and see what happens. Don't mind $100 for paint. Hope it works.

David
I think thats a sweet deal if they're willing to mix you small 4 and 8 oz quantities for $8 and $16. Its been about a year since I asked my local NAPA about small quantities of paint and the smallest quantity they were willing to sell me was 1 quart <_< .

David
I think thats a sweet deal if they're willing to mix you small 4 and 8 oz quantities for $8 and $16. Its been about a year since I asked my local NAPA about small quantities of paint and the smallest quantity they were willing to sell me was 1 quart <_< .
Thy can't mix every color that small. Had to pick ones that the formula would go that small. Also had to go to 3 NAPA's before I found one that wanted to work with it to figure it out.

David

So its the clear that makes the paint fule resistant ?I went to a local body shop and they said if i paint my boat they would clear it for for like 15 bucks when they clear a car there working on.Not sure if i can use can paint or have to use automotive paint?

David
Thy can't mix every color that small. Had to pick ones that the formula would go that small. Also had to go to 3 NAPA's before I found one that wanted to work with it to figure it out.

David
I hate to hurt your feeling guys,but there somthing wrong with you NAPA stores..! I can get my NAPA store to mix my paint up to 1/2 apints!!!But most of the time I get 1 pint mixed....I'd notes there carring ACME clears...My boyfriend saw that..We thought ACME was out of business in the mid 90's...He used ACME probase..Like the system too...then he used NAPA's tech base...When he shot that system ,he said it smelled like ACME probase....So now NAPA/martinsenior paint must of bought ACME out and selling there paint system now?..

Well I got a can with 4oz in it.

Here is a pic of my rotating paint stand.

David

i just found a friend that owns a auto body shop. It was cheeper to pay my buddy to paint it perfessionaly then it was to buy the stuff ,plus it came out awsome. check with the guy in your local club i'm sure there is a painter there.

i just found a friend that owns a auto body shop. It was cheeper to pay my buddy to paint it perfessionaly then it was to buy the stuff ,plus it came out awsome. check with the guy in your local club i'm sure there is a painter there.
Somtimes it's better to learn it yourself..that way you can get better at it and do more of your own paint job's.. There nothing more rewarding to doing your own paint job and loving it...Painting is the fun and easy part..The bodywork and customizing the body is the hard part...Been doing this too long to know whats it's all about..I'm going to have to try that clear,since they cutout the crossfire clears...I'd loved the crossfire hyperformance spot clear,It's was simler to PPG's DAU82&2021 concept clear..

This was my first time painting in 25 years. It wasn't as hard as I remembered this paint was easy to use. Primer and clear are a 4 to 1 and the base is 1 to 1. Every thing was easy to shoot with my old Blue point touch up gun. The hardest part was wiping of the over spray on the fades with prep sol between colors. the clear went on real sweet and has a real nice gloss.

Nothing like doing it your self. What A great feeling when you are done.

Give it a try its not that hard.

Have enough primer and clear for two more boats only need to buy more base. Next two jobs should be $20 or less.

David

Latest posts

Back