Outrigger questions to new guy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Howdy Ed,

I'm probably the closest competitive boat racer to you. I live in Charlotte and do some racing up at PTPT as well as pretty much all over the Southeast. I'm probably not going to be a whole lot of help to you technically ...
Ed, you'll find that Scott tends to be overly modest at times. Give him a call, he'll be a big help. I'm glad to help too, but I'm quite a bit further away from you. I'm the one to blame for the recent revival of outboards in NC. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to thread bash but I have a nice Roadrunner, Mac 21 hydro that is very easy to drive and operate for sale . I bought it from Jay Smith and have never raced it and this would be a great boat for someone . 375.00 with servos . Tom .

Mike , I have a Roadrunner 60 with a siver head mac 67 that runs well but I really don't want to part with it right now . motor has only one race on it and about 3 gallons through it , think its just broken in !!

:D Thank you to everyone's opion ,I 'am sure now i will stick with tunnels for sure .

Piper Chuck & Scott,

We look forward to hearing from you both soon snd more often .See both hopefully at the races.

Chuck, from all of us with tunnels thanks

Scott , Thanks for putting a helping hand out,Do you test run your boats anywhere locally?

Ed.R

Ed, glad to help and look forward to meeting you. Mike Byer, who posted a few lines up, is another PTPT member. He's gotten back into tunnels too.

Ed, glad to help and look forward to meeting you. Mike Byer, who posted a few lines up, is another PTPT member. He's gotten back into tunnels too.
Personally , I dont think you could find an easier boat to drive than an average 21 Rigger ! Now there are some ballistic 21 Riggers out there! , but as far as fun on the water the rigger is easier to drive and less susceptible to wind and small chop than the tunnel . Just my opinion

:D Thank you to everyone's opion ,I 'am sure now i will stick with tunnels for sure .
Piper Chuck & Scott,

We look forward to hearing from you both soon snd more often .See both hopefully at the races.

Scott , Thanks for putting a helping hand out,Do you test run your boats anywhere locally?

Ed.R
Ed, I do all my setup and Testing at a pond down in Columbia, SC with Bobby Halliday, District 13 IMPBA Director. It's about 1 1/2 hours down there from Charlotte. If you would like to go down with me sometime I'll be glad to contact you and let you know when I'm going or you can shoot Bobby an E-mail at [email protected] to see when he is going to be running at the pond. They do have a course set up on the pond so it's a good place to practice hitting.............. I mean running the bouys. :)

Bobby will probably chime in on this discussion now that his name was mentioned, his ears will be burning.

Talk to you soon I hope :D

Scott

Howdy Ed,

I'm probably the closest competitive boat racer to you. I live in Charlotte and do some racing up at PTPT as well as pretty much all over the Southeast. I'm probably not going to be a whole lot of help to you technically ...
Ed, you'll find that Scott tends to be overly modest at times. Give him a call, he'll be a big help. I'm glad to help too, but I'm quite a bit further away from you. I'm the one to blame for the recent revival of outboards in NC. :D
But Chuck? You didn't listen to me up at Chesapeake when I told you to Lean that Picco out in your 40 Mono did ya?

:lol:

Howdy Ed,

But Chuck? You didn't listen to me up at Chesapeake when I told you to Lean that Picco out in your 40 Mono did ya?

:lol:
Yup, you're right and look where it got me! :(

Ed,

Since you're sticking with tunnels here's a race that might interest you. Tunnel Champs . It will be held in Oct in '06 and it's in Walterboro, SC. A first year racer (long time sport boater) won B tunnel this year so don't let being a new guy hold you back.

-Bobby

Piper Chuck & Scott,

Ed.R

Ed,Since you're sticking with tunnels here's a race that might interest you. Tunnel Champs . It will be held in Oct in '06 and it's in Walterboro, SC. A first year racer (long time sport boater) won B tunnel this year so don't let being a new guy hold you back.

-Bobby

Piper Chuck & Scott,

Ed.R
and that first year racer, Steve Cirmella, also runs out of Columbia, SC and sets his boats up at this same pond.

Thanks for the offer .I'll have to get in contact with everyone after the holiday season.A little crazy around with 3 young boys in the house. Talk to you soon and again thanks for the offer.I run mine in a little cove up on Lake Norman thats kinda off the main parts in Mooresville.I haven;t really ran it that much over the summer I rebuilt it and about time I was finished it was late sept.I didn't get it out and even consider doing anything with it until around June or so .Kinda hard to retreve it if it gets stalls out .Casting line real with a rubber ball works better than I thought it would.

Ed.R

Thanks for the offer .I'll have to get in contact with everyone after the holiday season.A little crazy around with 3 young boys in the house. Talk to you soon and again thanks for the offer.I run mine in a little cove up on Lake Norman thats kinda off the main parts in Mooresville.I haven;t really ran it that much over the summer I rebuilt it and about time I was finished it was late sept.I didn't get it out and even consider doing anything with it until around June or so .Kinda hard to retreve it if it gets stalls out .Casting line real with a rubber ball works better than I thought it would.
Ed.R
No pressure Ed, You do things at your own pace as you feel comfortable. We are here to help if you want.

Scott

Hi Ed

just need to say that i have to agree with most people here , a 21 rigger may be a bit of headache to begin with ..i am speaking from experience, the other thing i think you need to look at is what your local conditions are mostly like ,in winter here the lake i play at is very calm till about midday, great for the 21..but in summer the lake is too choppy to drive a 21 rigger on at 8 am , hence the 47" gas mono im building for any condition... just something you may need to consider

I'am new to boating but I had a couble of outrigger ? Were can you get a good boat? What web sites are good for outrigger stuff? Who has the good stuff?

Ed.R
Ed,

I am also very new to the boating aspect of r/c and my first boat was a roadrunner .21 with an ops .45 in it. If you seek speed rigger is the way to go. As for initial headaches a rigger is also the way to go. My roadrunner is extremely stable on the water and pretty fast. Ralph builds an excellent boat as many of the others you will here about on this thread. Whatever you choose to build/race I think you'll find all the help you need right here. These guys have been a great help to me. Don't be discouraged if it proves to be aggrevating, the speed is well worth it. Just thought I would offer my change about it.

Good luck, have fun,

I'am new to boating but I had a couble of outrigger ? Were can you get a good boat? What web sites are good for outrigger stuff? Who has the good stuff?

Ed.R
Ed,

I am also very new to the boating aspect of r/c and my first boat was a roadrunner .21 with an ops .45 in it. If you seek speed rigger is the way to go. As for initial headaches a rigger is also the way to go. My roadrunner is extremely stable on the water and pretty fast. Ralph builds an excellent boat as many of the others you will here about on this thread. Whatever you choose to build/race I think you'll find all the help you need right here. These guys have been a great help to me. Don't be discouraged if it proves to be aggrevating, the speed is well worth it. Just thought I would offer my change about it.

Good luck, have fun,

I wasn't going to say anything but I agree. I started with an OPS 45 running on 15% fuel and my first scratch built boat. Jeff Baham and I were peeking through the bushes on a interstate pond to go run the boat and had a little (very easy to flip) flat boat to got get it.

Had a lot of fun right off the bat with just us back there cutting up.

With todays boats, the setups are well documented and there is help readily available, outriggers should not be a problem at all.

Moral of the story, don't be scared off of an outrigger. They're not that hard to master.

Take about brave, Russell Bear started off with a HOT 67 greenhead and Roadrunner UL. :) He was scared of it at first. But it didn't take long before he was out there running with the pack. (running away from some of the pack)

He's finally scratched that pretty paint job so now he might shake a little less in traffic. B)

Latest posts

Back