Outrigger questions to new guy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ed.R

I'am new to boating but I had a couble of outrigger ? Were can you get a good boat? What web sites are good for outrigger stuff? Who has the good stuff?

Ed.R

I'am new to boating but I had a couble of outrigger ? Were can you get a good boat? What web sites are good for outrigger stuff? Who has the good stuff?

Ed.R
Woow thats a loaded question with many veriables. Your looking from anywhere from $500 to $1000 just for the hull and hardware. WHat are you looking to spend or does it not matter as long as your fast?

Jeff

Ed.R
Woow thats a loaded question with many veriables. Your looking from anywhere from $500 to $1000 just for the hull and hardware. WHat are you looking to spend or does it not matter as long as your fast?

Jeff
Here are a few of the best available;

http://www.woodrcboatproducts.com Blackbird .21 Hydro

http://www.cmdracing.com/ SGX Eagle .21,.45,.67/80,twin

There are many more that do not have web sites, I'm sure more will post

and let you know. :)

Let's not forget Tom's plans for the Firefighter riggers for those on a tighter budget and willing to assemble a boat from scratch. B)

I was thinking of the smaller motor ones,.21 or so .I think now would not be a good time and try a .45.I have an tunnel with a 7.5 now but i don't race it compitively yet .I would like and try next season and go to some races.

Ed.R

Ed, where are you planning to race? I believe the closest club will be PTPT in Greensboro. A few of the members have been racing .21 riggers, but I was talking to one of them Saturday night and I think they may be tired of .21s. I could be confused, but they may run .45s next year. This is good for me because I happen to have a .45 rigger that I need to put together. :)

Oh, one observation. A rigger is probably not be the best thing to start racing with. Is the .45 tunnel the only boat you've got right now? There's been alot of people buying .21 tunnels over the late summer and fall. We're hoping for 6-8 people running them next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
:( IMHO .... NEVER choose a rigger as your first race boat :huh:

Your brain will be behind the boat & shi* will happen you will find clueless ... Not good

Don't get caught up in the SPEED craze untill you have some time with increasingly faster boats.

Riggers take NO prisoners with a SOLID speed kills attitude .... drive wisely.

Scott

In my opinion a 45 rigger is easier to get going than a 21. It has more power the overcome imperfections in the setup and still get one the pipe and make decent speeds.

With the relatively low torque of a 21, the least little setup problem and it will just put-put around the pond and not make any speed at all.

With good setup instructions (THAT ARE FOLLOWED TO THE LETTER) any of these boats has the potoential to light up the water the first time out.

Don't be scared off outriggers, you'll have plenty of support fron the guys here.

When you decide what to get, let us know before you buy so was can advise of any potential pitfalls with the setup your thinking about so you dont buy junk (..common on ebay..).

Any of the hydros mentioned are boats with good reputations.

Here are a few more

Hornet Hydro (Jeff Baham) - don't know if jeff makes a 21.

Road Runner (Ralph Amarola) SP?

Cajun Bullet (Harrold Broussard)

Good call Dan, I have raced 20 and 40 rigger for 10 years now, all the new 20 riggers are so light and nimble that the setup and driving characteristics is unforgivable. The larger 40 hull is much easier to handle. The extra speed doesnt make it any harder to drive in my opinion. 40 engine with 3rd channel is easy to run well. Still takes some time to run great. I wouldnt recommend a outrigger for anyones first race boat, but if u are going to build or buy one, Id go with a 40 boat. My 2 cents,

Larry

if you start your hydro experience with a 21 rigger , i predict you will go to another hobby before you get it right , they are just TOO sensative to setup, for a new guy

if your great mates with somebody like Andy Brown then give it a go.

if your human like most of us then start with maybe a 45 but - Its a steep learning curve

my first hydro experience was with a gas rigger , easy as. would turn almost any prop , and its nice and big

and forgiving if you arnt used to the speed at first ..ie you can putt around at around 50 mph with a small prop

jason

Piper Chuck,

I'am glad you brought up PTPT .That is really the only area I could go and race.I 'am thinking of puting together a 3.5 tunnel. I sent for plans for the JD 30 WOF .Not sure if I could get it done in time ,not sure what there schedule is.I also am looking on E-bay for some good deals.Ther was a TS2 on there but it needed repair.I repaired my lap Cat over the past summer and when we ran it it ran good,for a new boater.

I look forward to talking to you more and hopefully I'll see you at the races.

Ed.R

[email protected]

Ed.R

ed, couble of outrigger, please explain what you mean by this. are you saying that you had outriggers before, plus, check for a club near you and see what everyone else is running, that way you won't be the only one with a different boat.

Ed, the club race schedule hasn't been set yet. We'll be meeting at the pond next month to discuss dates. I think the first race will probably be sometime in March. Start work on your tunnel, there should be plenty of action, lots of people to help you, and most important, lots of fun. This is a much better class to get started with than a rigger.

Howdy Ed,

I'm probably the closest competitive boat racer to you. I live in Charlotte and do some racing up at PTPT as well as pretty much all over the Southeast. I'm probably not going to be a whole lot of help to you technically because I race strictly Monos at this time but I'm fairly good at reading boats and would be glad to assist you any way I can. If you would like to talk anytime you can reach me at 704-665-7000 from about 7:30 AM til 6:00 or so PM depending on how late I can get away with working on my boats & what the wife is cooking for dinner. Hope you and your kids come out and run with us next year. It's a blast!!!!! :D

Scott Norris

Howdy Ed,

I'm probably the closest competitive boat racer to you. I live in Charlotte and do some racing up at PTPT as well as pretty much all over the Southeast. I'm probably not going to be a whole lot of help to you technically because I race strictly Monos at this time but I'm fairly good at reading boats and would be glad to assist you any way I can. If you would like to talk anytime you can reach me at 704-665-7000 from about 7:30 AM til 6:00 or so PM depending on how late I can get away with working on my boats & what the wife is cooking for dinner. Hope you and your kids come out and run with us next year. It's a blast!!!!! :D

Scott Norris
Ed you are very smart to take there suggestions as far as starting with something different than a rigger. I have seen new guys in this hobby take a .82 K&B cat and run it up the bank and it was distroyed and i haven't seen him since but knowone could convince him that it would be to much for a first boat. I have also seen guys with twin riggers run them into clocks and docks and peeeeel 3 2X4s off because there under skilled.Take your time and learn the hobby and develope those driving skills first then find yourself around the course and as you learn you will realize when you are ready for more speed and skill. The faster you go the quicker things happen and if your not skilled in driving and depth perseption and being confortable in going that fast before you know it you will be running over other peoples boats, running up the shore or into a boat and God forbid if it should run up shore and hurt or kill someone! These things can happen very quickly and easy. Have a great time in the wonderful hobby of model boating. Hopefuly i'll get to more races in the states and get to meet you someday.

Jeff :)

Back