Outboard Motor verses Inboard Motor that acts like an Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
until the changes are made to the rule book. its a legal tunnel hull like it or not. lets race.

Last edited by a moderator:
I like this phrase I heard today from a fellow boater. "I classify an outboard as an outboard if I unbolt the motor from the lower and the motor falls in the pond." Personally, I would rather keep things in the spirit of an outboard tunnel and make it at least resemble one.

That kind of setup will not fly in FE anyways, cause I mean really, where will I put the batteries, on top of the strut thingy??? Lol

Seriously tho, IMPBA needs to get this mess outlawed before records start getting broken, cause once that happens you cannot take it back!

Mike

John,

Good looking boat and a interesting drive no doubt.

I've seen something very similar on the transom of a big ole Woodstuff with a G26 bolted to it.

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures.

Doug

John,

Good looking boat and a interesting drive no doubt.

I've seen something very similar on the transom of a big ole Woodstuff with a G26 bolted to it.

Thanks for taking the time to post pictures.

Doug

PS Julian your signature looks like a gay pride bumper sticker. :lol: ;)
Yep. If he re-installed the transom, moved the assembly aft about 5", and bolted it to the transom as an outboard is supposed to be mounted, controversy goes away........... ;)

After seeing the picture, (it had been a while since I have seen Johns Boat), I definitely think its an outboard. :D Its even got an outboard pipe, so it has to be.... right?

Looks like a go devil.

Here is the "invisible" boat that everyone wants to see.

IMG-20110919-00484.jpg

IMG-20110919-00485.jpg
Kinda reminds me of one of these bad boys...

John you been to Thailand recently?? Lol

http://withoutbaggage.com/msgs/61/61101/w_64060_vEX.jpg

I was afraid this was going to get out of hand, using inboard mounted engines on a turntable, and cutting away the transom to free up the drive..... :angry: Dick Loeb just sent me the picture below of the engine and lower he will be using for his new F Tunnel, if this new design of Otto's is deemed a legal boat. His wife Carol brought home a "lazy susan" from Target to use as the turntable. Currently, he has two issues yet to be resolved. He needs someone to build him the adapter to attach the engine to the K&B lower unit, (look closely..... :eek: ), and he is waiting for a response from a letter he sent to Hulk Hogan to see if he would be willing to come to the next race to launch it for him. I hear Jay Halbehder is his backup if Hogan doesn't respond............. ;)

" I give up. What's next????????.......... :blink:

gallery_11253_1230_89256.jpg

Wow very shaky ground. My honest opinion,, and completely neutral. :mellow: And a outboard pipe does not make it an O/B it gives the look into making seem like an O/B. some ppl run car pipes, must be a car? With all due respect to John it takes away from what tunnel racing is about. I can see where both sides are coming from. Rons side ( no transom, thus mounted inside the boat and does not have a scale look) now on the other hand if Mr. Otto can present a picture of a scale tunnel race using this set-up I would have to pass it. We are just a smaller version of the real thing. Also there would have to be clear pictures just how this motor is mounted, I can see no transom, that is a red flag, because then how is the motor mounted? A turn table inside the boat, and what I mean by inside is, is it mounted inside the area where the transom was cut out? I do applause Mr. Otto he is on to something. Would I race against it? Indeed. unless others infact object.

I was afraid this was going to get out of hand, using inboard mounted engines on a turntable, and cutting away the transom to free up the drive..... :angry: Dick Loeb just sent me the picture below of the engine and lower he will be using for his new F Tunnel, if this new design of Otto's is deemed a legal boat. His wife Carol brought home a "lazy susan" from Target to use as the turntable. Currently, he has two issues yet to be resolved. He needs someone to build him the adapter to attach the engine to the K&B lower unit, (look closely..... :eek: ), and he is waiting for a response from a letter he sent to Hulk Hogan to see if he would be willing to come to the next race to launch it for him. I hear Jay Halbehder is his backup if Hogan doesn't respond............. ;)

" I give up. What's next????????.......... :blink:

gallery_11253_1230_89256.jpg
Ron, it's going to be a nice day, you really should get outside and play, and Dick get that engine in that flat.

mb

The general rules are;

1, Must be attached to and removed from the hull as one unit. check

2, Be the single means of controlling the direction of the boat check

The rules state it must be mounted to the hull, not necessarily the transom. check

The rules do not define what an outboard is other than what is stated above.

We don't follow 'wikipedia' definitions...

We don't follow the spirit of something...

We follow rules.

It fits the rules.

Don't like it? Submit a rule change proposal.

Peace out.

/B

Does it say (not necessarily the transom)? if not the transom then where? inside the boat is the only option. (The rules do not define what an outboard is other than what is stated above) that's because some things are self explanatory. The bottom line is this stuff will have to be amended and voted on.

Wow very shaky ground. My honest opinion,, and completely neutral. :mellow: And a outboard pipe does not make it an O/B it gives the look into making seem like an O/B. some ppl run car pipes, must be a car? With all due respect to John it takes away from what tunnel racing is about. I can see where both sides are coming from. Rons side ( no transom, thus mounted inside the boat and does not have a scale look) now on the other hand if Mr. Otto can present a picture of a scale tunnel race using this set-up I would have to pass it. We are just a smaller version of the real thing. Also there would have to be clear pictures just how this motor is mounted, I can see no transom, that is a red flag, because then how is the motor mounted? A turn table inside the boat, and what I mean by inside is, is it mounted inside the area where the transom was cut out? I do applause Mr. Otto he is on to something. Would I race against it? Indeed. unless others infact object.
Baxter,

It's hard to see but look closely below the engine and you can see where the transom used to be. The lower part of the boat was left intact and the engine was moved at least 5" into the boat. The cowling cut gives way to exactly how far inside the boat the assy was moved. there is no longer a transom.

The general rules are;

1, Must be attached to and removed from the hull as one unit. check

2, Be the single means of controlling the direction of the boat check

The rules state it must be mounted to the hull, not necessarily the transom. check

The rules do not define what an outboard is other than what is stated above.

We don't follow 'wikipedia' definitions...

We don't follow the spirit of something...

We follow rules.

It fits the rules.

Don't like it? Submit a rule change proposal.

Peace out.

/B
It looks like rule changes or at least a submission for rule changes is in order. If the IMPBA membership denies the traditional outboard definitions, then we all can build one!!!!..... ;) Mike, see ya soon. Dick, get that boat built.

here is a rule in NAMBA that will dis qualify it:

3. Tunnel hulls will be of a tunnel configuration with no restriction as to size, weight, or

type of construction. A hull will be classified as a tunnel if it meets the following

requirements:

a. The general design of the tunnel hull should follow as closely as possible to

the design of the full sized OPC tunnel hulls.

You would have to have a picture showing a full size tunnel with no transom. for get about the motor, if the full size tunnels all have transoms then you must have one as well. And with a transom you would have to stick the drive though the rear making it an all out inboard, without a transom there is no boundaries.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back