Outboard Motor verses Inboard Motor that acts like an Outboard

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
If I get protested and officials check the setup and say it ok , what then?
Th CD, a District Director if present, and two IMPBA members will make the decision. On something like this, a ruling will probably be delayed and it will be sent to the IMPBA Board for a final ruling.

ron, were you at the wtc last year? if so did you see the gas OUTBOARD tunnel that won ? every heat but one, I designed that drive and yes its being copied worldwide and changed here and there. yes it looks different. but it doesnt break shafts. guess what it bolts to the transom. and in no way shape or form does it resemble a inboard. joe............... thinking outside the box. why should someone be held to a couple of manufacturers only , kinda a monopoly of sorts. maybe i am in far left field and you in far right .. I just dont see what your trying to prove. all a boater has to do is keep his drive on the transom and your ok with that? I have been trying to the grow gas tunnel class for years, not a easy boat to setup and it gets expensive and frustrating. I try new things that I think may work, some dont some do. I have developed a passion for tunnels though fairly new at it. oops just bit my tonque again....

It would be really cool to see some pics, or did someone say that already? :lol:

Maybe those against can boycott the races untill the unit is outlawed LOL

I think you are all getting too caught up in this....doesn't anyone care about JUST BLOODY RACING and having fun and taking the piss out of each other? Geeze taking things too seriously like this can't be good for your health :)

ron, were you at the wtc last year? if so did you see the gas OUTBOARD tunnel that won ? every heat but one, I designed that drive and yes its being copied worldwide and changed here and there. yes it looks different. but it doesnt break shafts. guess what it bolts to the transom. and in no way shape or form does it resemble a inboard. joe............... thinking outside the box. why should someone be held to a couple of manufacturers only , kinda a monopoly of sorts. maybe i am in far left field and you in far right .. I just dont see what your trying to prove. all a boater has to do is keep his drive on the transom and your ok with that? I have been trying to the grow gas tunnel class for years, not a easy boat to setup and it gets expensive and frustrating. I try new things that I think may work, some dont some do. I have developed a passion for tunnels though fairly new at it. oops just bit my tonque again....
John,

It's frustrating for all of us, thats just how these new designs are. Nothing has changed over the years. But why should we bend the rules or look the other way just to make it easier for you, at the expense of all of us that are figuring it out the legal way? We shouldnt, period. When we ran in the 90's, you didn't like the K&b's, and started running Lawless with Novas. Why don't you do that again? Instead of creating a huge cloud of controversy in our hobby, why don't you design a better OUTBOARD lower? That would make a much better statement that using something that is nothing close to an outboard engine. Effort is effort, so why not use it to create something beneficial, instead of controversial?........ ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK I just worked it out...Ron is trying to get his post count up. Of the 127 posts above this he has made over half (around 65) LOL

I think you are all getting too caught up in this....doesn't anyone care about JUST BLOODY RACING and having fun and taking the piss out of each other? Geeze taking things too seriously like this can't be good for your health :)
Kris,

What is going on here is more critical than many realize. I am very passionate about outboards. Yes, it's just a hobby, but I have missed this hobby, missed the people, and missed running my outboards. Its great to be back!!! But what is going on here is wrong, hands down. This inboard design has many advantages we found many years ago in test comparisons. John is dealing with too much forward weight issues, but once he gets the COG corrected, there will not be an outboard that will touch it. Its physics. There will be many straightaway records to fall first, ovals will come next. It will also flow over into the other Outboard Classes. Have you noticed the issues the FE outboard guys have to keep in mind when they put the larger and heavier FE motors sticking way up into the air? Imagine a much larger FE motor on the same type of turntable lower in the hull. The most affected here will be the FE outboards. All of this needs to stop right here, right now. If not, many will be forced to convert and the outboard classes will never be the same. John knows this, I know this. The term Outboard has not changed over the years and it should not be allowed to change now. Mount everything on the transom of the boat and let's race....... ;)

OK I just worked it out...Ron is trying to get his post count up. Of the 127 posts above this he has made over half (around 65) LOL

Hahaha Kris.... ;) I guess I had no idea what a can of worms I was opening!!!!!!!!

Any pictures of John Otto's O/B setup that is being discussed here??

Thanks.

Any pictures of John Otto's O/B setup that is being discussed here??Thanks.
Craig,

Everyone is asking but no one is posting!!!!!!....... ;) I would like for everyone to see what's going on here but no one has posted pictures so the rest of you can see for yourself.

Hey Shane, I might have to come to the next WTC just for the RUM, might leave Louise and the baby girl at home for this one LOL

Below are my thoughts for FE ;)

Here is the "invisible" boat that everyone wants to see.

IMG-20110919-00484.jpg

IMG-20110919-00485.jpg

Kris,

What is going on here is more critical than many realize. I am very passionate about outboards. Yes, it's just a hobby, but I have missed this hobby, missed the people, and missed running my outboards. Its great to be back!!! But what is going on here is wrong, hands down. This inboard design has many advantages we found many years ago in test comparisons. John is dealing with too much forward weight issues, but once he gets the COG corrected, there will not be an outboard that will touch it. Its physics. There will be many straightaway records to fall first, ovals will come next. It will also flow over into the other Outboard Classes. Have you noticed the issues the FE outboard guys have to keep in mind when they put the larger and heavier FE motors sticking way up into the air? Imagine a much larger FE motor on the same type of turntable lower in the hull. The most affected here will be the FE outboards. All of this needs to stop right here, right now. If not, many will be forced to convert and the outboard classes will never be the same. John knows this, I know this. The term Outboard has not changed over the years and it should not be allowed to change now. Mount everything on the transom of the boat and let's race....... ;)
Here's the reason I love NAMBA Stock Classes and IMPBA 20 Sport Tunnel. Gotta run what you took out of the box.

Unfortunately, other than in the Southeastern U.S. outboard racing appears to be on the decline. There's basically none in SoCal and not a whole lot in NorCal. Here in District 8 a good turnout in 20 Stock Tunnel is 6 boats. The preceding observation has nothing to do with this topic, just a comment from a guy who has been racing RC OBs for over 35 years.

JD

Rodney,

If you look closer, the transom has been removed and the engine and turntable are at least 4-5" INSIDE the boat. The stern is where the transom is supposed to be and is 4-5" BEHIND the motor. Just removing the transom doesn't change where the transom is supposed to be located. This design is clearly an OUTBOARD infraction and NOT legal..........................

If John would put the transom back where it was, move the entire unit to the outside of the boat, and bolt it to the transom, it could possibly be considered an outboard, as long as the engine and drive are physically tied together, and move in unison from side to side to turn the boat. John doesn't want to do that as he would then be right back to where we all are, and have to deal with the COG issues of moving the engine back 4-5". Its not so much the contraption but where its located and how its mounted. Notice how far the cowling was cut back to even get the engine out of the cowling........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back