Outboard engine tuners

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jack Brady

Hello, I have a couple of stock OS outboards that I am looking to get worked on for better performance. Who out there does this kind of work and if you know how to get a hold of them. Thanks Jack

Geraghty on here as same. old fart hall of famer and tuner . ...did i say Geraghty yes thats him

The only modification this engine requires is removing the head shim. Just take your time breaking it in. The big key is to find the right prop that turns her on. Also, the engine will last a long time if you run a hot plug ex. K&B 1L. If you run a cold plug ex MC9 and run it very lean you may hurt the P/L. You will sacrifice the hot plug element before you will hurt the P/L.

The only modification this engine requires is removing the head shim. Just take your time breaking it in. The big key is to find the right prop that turns her on. Also, the engine will last a long time if you run a hot plug ex. K&B 1L. If you run a cold plug ex MC9 and run it very lean you may hurt the P/L. You will sacrifice the hot plug element before you will hurt the P/L.
Gene Mongar is the man down here in Fl,he has done alot of motors 813-689-4191

Save your $$$ for fuel and props, Mr Porter gave you the best free advice you can get.

B) TB

same reason i run mc-59's in my k&b's. like tunnelbill says, LISTEN to kp, his STOCK os/lynx combo regularly whips up on the b mod tunnels in d-12. the prop is the key B) .

same reason i run mc-59's in my k&b's. like tunnelbill says, LISTEN to kp, his STOCK os/lynx combo regularly whips up on the b mod tunnels in d-12. the prop is the key B) .
Any idea what the O'Donnell equivalent would be for the MC-59?

in my experience (& grim's info), the od-9 is a colder plug than the mc-59. the od-9 is a VERY good plug though, i run it where i used to run mc-9's. faster, & longer lasting. my favorite k&b impba sport motor doesn't like hotter plugs during the heat of summer, runs happier on od-9's. spring & fall, it likes mc-59's. my mod motors like mc-59's all year long.

Last edited by a moderator:
Any idea what the O'Donnell equivalent would be for the MC-59?

That would be a RED, OD9 is a cold plug.

TB

oh, sorry I just assumed because I changed from a MC-59 or 1L to the OD-9 in my OS Max and it loved it!

Cheers

Kris

how are you guys using the longer plug in the OS motor. it comes with OS-8 which has a much shorter threaded area. dont the mc-59 or od-9'***** the piston???? i have been using either the OS-8 or OS A5 and would like to take your advice. also what about throwing a pipe on a stocker? i have irwin and silver bullet pipes laying around waiting to go on something...

thanks

how are you guys using the longer plug in the OS motor. it comes with OS-8 which has a much shorter threaded area. dont the mc-59 or od-9'***** the piston???? i have been using either the OS-8 or OS A5 and would like to take your advice. also what about throwing a pipe on a stocker? i have irwin and silver bullet pipes laying around waiting to go on something...

thanks

[/quote

Chuck, I just use two copper glow plug washers...

-Kent

thanks
Your right the O.S. plugs have a shorter reach and the longer reach plugs wont hit the piston. Most of the boaters I know run the K&B1L in the XM in stock form on high nitro with the headshim removed.

Unless they have changed the MC59 (which I doubt)its has a much larger plug element cavity than the K&B1L. The diff between these two is mostly the volume in the element cavity.

A pipe on a stock XM is not going to gain anything over a well setup one running the

muffler. Those that have used a pipe normally use a O.S.RG chrome sleeve, lathe/cut to fit the XM case.

The stock XM can achieve some serious speeds when setup with

the right boat, prop and fuel. As with all tunnels it takes time and effort to find the setup and its easy to miss with the XM.

If you can get with some guys that race these O/B's they could save you a bunch of frustration.

Latest posts

Back