OT: Hey CAD GUYS!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CySlyde

Ok, Just got back from vacation, and have thought alot about taking some of my desk/Furniture designs and transfering them to the CPU...

so, I was just wondering how/where did you learn to use cad? what program do you use? and or any good teach yourself books i might want to invest in.

Thanx for your help

-=Cy

Cy.

It really depends on how advanced you want to get with your Cad system. There is "Delta CAD" that is fairly easy, but you are limited on what you can do. It is a 2D package. if you want 3D capabilities, you will need to step up & get either Autocad, or Cadkey. You can take classes that GRCC for Autocad. You will spend quite a bit of money for a 3D software though.

I use Cadkey 19. I learned Cadkey through the company I work for. They sent me to training classes for it. I have also used Euclid3, which has gone by the wayside. The company that developed it got bought out by Catia.

If you have any other questions, feel free to get ahold of me.

Wade

Solidworks is really powerfull, and easy to learn

i think it goes for like $100...not 100% sure though

ive used it for 2 years now and its never let me down

good luck

Shaun

Solidworks is a bit more than $100. I belive it is over $1000 for the basic package.

Cadkey is about $5000 I think

autocad 2002 for 2 or 3d the way to go ! then there is the just the 3d called studio viz by autodesk that getting better! I learned at a non credit collage class! and other than that I was self tought. I did have some thing called turbocad but it wqs not that great!

I work with CAD systems for a living. Mostly AutoCAD 2000, but recently I designed a CNC machine with AutoDesk Inventor in 3D solid modelling, and that worked quite well.

I dont really recommend CAD systems for hobby use tho. It takes quite a while to work out how to use them if you aren't doing it all the time, and for some simple drawing you will spend less time drawing it by hand! These days I am much faster than I could be drawing manually, but of course it took a while to get to that point! ;D

Ian.

I agree with you Ian, it has takem me a long time to get to the seepd I am at today on CAD. I designs plastic injection molds(moulds for those of you who prefer), Vacuum form tools & Match Metal dies for a living. What do you do other than design CNC machines?

Wade,

I have designed quite a few plastic injection moulds, but not for a few years. I mostly design special purpose equipment which is used by various manufacturers for making certain parts. Mostly for automotive component manufacturers. The CNC machine is a special one off for a military sub-contractor. I have designed parts for a satellite that is up in orbit now!

Ian.

Wow... thats cool Ian.

Cad is just something I have always wanted to learn... I've got these last few finals, then one more semester and i'm done..... Just figured, since i do want more schooling I would take a little self help course soo to speak, and see if it is something i would like to persue farther, education wise.

THAT IS COOL IAN!

my claim to fame is that I designed the mold for the front grille on the Hummer H2, & the 2001 Thunderbird. I didn't design the parts though.

Cy, if you want to try CAD, go for it. take a class & see if you like it. What degree are you going after?

Oh thats real comforting, Ian designed something that is in Geo-Sync

orbit ? :eek:

Phase III Racing: Orbitial Tracking Systems engaged ;D

I downloaded two pgms from zdnet.com

CAD Std. and DXF.Viewer, works nice and they are free.

Another very nice viewer for .DXF & .DWG files is Volo View Express from Autodesk, & it is also free. ;D

yep I got DXF view a few semesters ago for a project i was working on, I got another cad progie i d/l'd (freeware) but i haven't checked it out yet.

I am going for Computer Network Systems, Associates of applied sicences degree. I already have a few of my certs, but i am finding I like it less and less lately, wich is also bringing me to look elsewhere. sigh maybe i just need to get a good job in the field and some time under my belt. could also be all the stresses of new managers every three months, only to end up running the store for two months and not getting any time off to look for anything better..... sorry i'll stop b****ing about the job....

Gene,

The satellite is a communications research satellite and was launched from Japan, but was made in Australia. I am pretty sure it isn't a geo-sync satellite tho!! I only designed a few parts, but it was easliy the most inetersting job I have ever done!! ;D Anyone over there have contacts with NASA and can get me a job?? ;D :p

Wade,

We dont get those vehicles over here! Well, maybe the Hummer, but they aren't common at all! I haven't done part design for the automotive companies, they do that themselves or by their suppliers. But I did quite a bit of work on machines for making the new steering column in the new Ford Falcon in Australia.

Nitrocrazed racing: In space no one can hear you screw-up....

Ian I am sure you did a great job with your part of the bird ;) ;D

There is some great software for tracking, screenshot from J-Track 3D:

Gene,

I saw the prototypes of my bits, almost bought a tear to the eye they worked out so beautiful! ;D I am confident my bits worked...

Is this software on the web? I dont know about official designation but I knew the satellite as Fedsat.

Ian.

Back