OS21 xm outboard help.

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steven Bryant

Hey guys I need to replace my crank shaft bearings and I can't get undo the nut that hold the fly wheel on, can someone tell me what direction I need to turn the nut to undo it please.

Cheers

Thanks Jerry, I'll give it a go later on. I'm going to be installing the version two air cooled head, piston/liner and rod, is there anything I need to know before fitting and once fitted what head clearance do I need to run on 30% nitro?

Cheers

I certainly will Brad, unfortunately I'm having huge problems getting the nut off the crank shaft, I've tried everything and the dam thing will not budge. Any ideas?

I like to leave the crank in the case and insert a hard piece of plastic (ground down toothbrush works well) into the crank window (remove carby) then undo the nut (righty loosy, lefty tighty
default_wink.png
)

I have been known to use a rubber covered handle from pliers when desperate
default_smile.png

I have also been the victim of tightening the crap out of the OS nut and thinking I was in the **** and not getting it off EVER, then finding out it is left hand haha

Using Kris's method of holding the crank and Jerry heat suggestion - As well as some PB BLASTER - may require two people or a careful use of a vise to secure the motor

LIGHTLY tap the end of the tool your using while attempting to loosen the nut with turning RIGHT ,With pressure applied- normally the heat / Blaster and light tap will break it loose.

A Brass hammer or dead blow hammer and drift is your friend.

Good Luck.

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers guys for the tips, I'll try the toothbrush method, when you guys are referring to right I presume you mean clockwise and left as anti-clockwise.

to undo the nut on the OS flywheel, you need to turn it as if you were tightening a normal thread (looking down on the flywheel, clockwise)

Better yet, take two pieces of pine 2x4, drill a hole in each for a machine screw, install a screw that matches the hole size of the 2 holes in the outer circumference of the flywheel, cut off the heads of the screws leaving enough protruding to engage the flywheel holes, clamp the flywheel between the 2 blocks with the protruding screws in the flywheel holes & remove the nut. No fuss, no marks on the flywheel, no risk of internal damage, simple & cheap (-; Another benefit is that the flywheel is held both tight & steady enough to use a torque wrench to install it correctly.

Torque wrench,What's a torque wrench.LOL

I tighten the nut untill it strips then back it off a quarter of a turn.

OK then, what's a "quart" of a turn Dave? LOL! My torque wrenches read in inch lbs or foot lbs, not quarts.......

Well finally after an extremely long week at work I've managed to get back to the engine, following your advise guys I managed to remove the flywheel nut and flywheel, thanks for all your helps guys.

Latest posts

Back