ROSSI 21C MARINE HELP

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DINO HALLMARK Sr

I have a Rossi 21c marine the pince pin that holds the carb on will not move I need someone with more knowledge than myself to help me with it maby bearings Alco or should I just move to another motor.this motor held 20 m0n0 for 2 years when I was racing. Got into flying and stepped away from boats for 25 yrs but lost my left arm and did not get the feeling back in thumb and forefinger (gimble) fingers just rejoined the club again.ordered two gas Hulls but would like to get this boat up and running.pretty **** good mechanic but a little stuck. Thanks Dino

Attachments

• IMG_20220223_112439.jpg
    IMG_20220223_112439.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220223_112428.jpg
    IMG_20220223_112428.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 39
  • IMG_20220223_112420.jpg
    IMG_20220223_112420.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220223_112359.jpg
    IMG_20220223_112359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_20220223_112350.jpg
    IMG_20220223_112350.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 40
  • IMG_20220223_112351.jpg
    IMG_20220223_112351.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 37
  • IMG_20220223_112359.jpg
    IMG_20220223_112359.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Undue the nut and give it a tap with a hammer it will not fall out as it has a crescent removed that binds around the carb. you can give it a twist as you pull it out.

Brad

Will not move have it in crock pot tonight probably will have to rethread shaft hit it flush must be brass.unsure if I can buy one ?

You can get one from any manufacture if you get the proper diameter. If you have hammered it flush it could be a real problem as the aluminum on the carb neck will be holding it too. Drive it back in a bit and see if it will twist a bit. I guess if you are replacing the carb you could get a punch and just drive it through but support the case or you may crack the neck on the case.

Let's see if the crock pot gets it warm enough to loosen everything up. I got a 100 motors out there and had the carburetor off of everyone Of them. This one really has me stumped never been anywhere near salt water. Wiped every one of my engines down with transmission fluid Spun them over with my starter for one minute a piece forever. Never had a Bearing issue. They've just been retired for 25 years. Little dusty but still smooth. Thank you very much for everybody's help. We're going to give it a shot today.

This is an engine from the days when the Rossi brothers worked together. Later it was Novarossi.

The engine has not been cleaned and preserved after use. Castor oil is the "poison" for that.

I would soak the engine in methyl alcohol for a day or two and put it in the oven at approx. 80°C. I would try to disassemble it. If he didn’t go, I would soak it in methyl alcohol again and reheat it.
Every force during disassembly is eliminated !!!

I have a Rossi 21c marine the pince pin that holds the carb on will not move I need someone with more knowledge than myself to help me with it maby bearings Alco or should I just move to another motor.this motor held 20 m0n0 for 2 years when I was racing. Got into flying and stepped away from boats for 25 yrs but lost my left arm and did not get the feeling back in thumb and forefinger (gimble) fingers just rejoined the club again.ordered two gas Hulls but would like to get this boat up and running.pretty **** good mechanic but a little stuck. Thanks Dino

Dino,
If I cannnot get the pin out on my .21 engines I do following:

1) Remove the nut on the pin
2) Heat the engine to about 320°F in a stove (preferably just the crankcase without bearings etc.)
3) Take the hot engine and grab the carb body with a wrench just to have a lever. Rotate the carb
in the crankcase slightly back and forth (may be you will need to reheat) until it becomes loose enough
to pull it out.
4) With the carb removed it's an easy now to hammer out the pin.

Good luck,

Petr

All good ways to do what's needed. No doubt!!! I like Swissrigger's method the most.
But, Sorry Dino... Can't resist...
What's the best way to destroy the case with the carb attached?!?!
My thinking involves a cement area with the object(s) in the middle and a hi-low running over it with the hard rubber tires... Should get the carb off.
Ken. (Not enough sleep...)

Last edited:
Thank you for your help. The antifreeze soak Help to loosen the carburetorStill cannot get the pin to move. This absolutely blows my mind. I filled the entire motor with amzoil And wiped it all down when I put it up I know the pictures look terrible but in reality it's just a good coating of dust and oil. Bearings are still smooth as silk. Compression is as good as the day was built Would like to save this engine get it back in to the young blood mono it was in

Dino, I'm not an expert... But, it sounds more like it's not locked due to "gunk" but from the pin twisting in it's location. The pin has tried to turn too far maybe even causing a burr to be kicked up. Best I think you can do would be to heat it up with a propane torch (don't know how hot a crock pot gets) the idea being to get the aluminum to expand rather than the pin it's self. And twist the carb gently both clockwise and counter clockwise GENTLY. May help to push the carb back in a little... You could risk your wife's anger by using one of her oven mitts to maneuver the carb. Uhhh... better to just use some thick gloves! Another way is to use some thick cardboard and a pair of pliers. Just be careful with the pliers! I know easier said than done! Just going to have to work it back and forth until you get it loose... Good Luck!!
Ken

Thank you for all the help There are some great people on this site with a ton of knowledge. I'm lucky to have gotten all this information.

If the carb is out, then a flat tip pin punch and dead blow hammer should have no trouble driving out the pinch bolt.
Just support the case with a deep socket on one side and drive it through.

Latest posts

Back