OS 21 XM problems

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racer504

I'm having a problem with an OS 21 XM quiting when it goes thru a corner. It runs fine in a straight line. It seems to lean out as it goes thru the corner. The engine will speed up as you enter the corner to the point of quitting. I've tried different fuel tanks, different carbureater, new piston and liner, bypassed the third channel needle, raised and lowered the engine, and probably some other things I don't remember! This engine was fine thru all of last year. The only thing I know changed for sure is the boat. My buddy Chris has a nearly identical setup and his is fine. I'm running the same X440 prop I used last year. Wildcat 65% fuel. Nothing I've tried has affected the problem noticibly. I'm open to nearly any suggestion at this point. :( Thanks, Mike

I'm having a problem with an OS 21 XM quiting when it goes thru a corner. It runs fine in a straight line. It seems to lean out as it goes thru the corner. The engine will speed up as you enter the corner to the point of quitting. I've tried different fuel tanks, different carbureater, new piston and liner, bypassed the third channel needle, raised and lowered the engine, and probably some other things I don't remember! This engine was fine thru all of last year. The only thing I know changed for sure is the boat. My buddy Chris has a nearly identical setup and his is fine. I'm running the same X440 prop I used last year. Wildcat 65% fuel. Nothing I've tried has affected the problem noticibly. I'm open to nearly any suggestion at this point. :( Thanks, Mike
Are you using a clunk and flexible tubing pick-up inside the fuel tank? If so, you might try changing to a solid tubing bent down to just above the bottom of the tank. What prop are you using?

Are you using a clunk and flexible tubing pick-up inside the fuel tank? If so, you might try changing to a solid tubing bent down to just above the bottom of the tank. What prop are you using?
I set my tanks up as you suggest. No flexible clunks. Prop is an x440. Same prop as I ran all last year(with no problems).

check your throttle cable dosent close up the carb when you turn the motor.

It is possible that the low speed needle is set too lean. It should be nearly flush with the top of the opening in the barrel. Try opening it a turn and resetting the high speed needle as required to see of this helps.

Lohring Miller

Tommy Lee lost a Champship race in California in 1989 due to a problem just like this. He found that his fuel lines were pinching during the turns causing his engine to quit but it was too late in the competition to place once he found it.

-Carl,

Last edited by a moderator:
It is possible that the low speed needle is set too lean. It should be nearly flush with the top of the opening in the barrel. Try opening it a turn and resetting the high speed needle as required to see of this helps.
Lohring Miller
I'll definately look at that low speed needle. That's one thing I didn't think of. I've had airplane engines (OS) where the little o-rings started to shrink and invariably the low speed needle goes in with vibration. Also I'll check for line kinking. I've looked into that already but I'm not above double checking. I've also checked the throttle cable and it seems to be fine(not closing during turning of the engine). Thanks for those suggestions. I welcome any more anyone might have. Mike

While we're on the subject of dealing with this engine, where is the best place (i.e. who will have it in stock and at some of the lowest prices) to get parts?

Thanks in advance,

Jeffro

Hey Jeff, its been a LOOOONG time since i've seen you in here.....

What parts do you need? I probably have them.

~James

I know, man! It looks like you've been busy! Congrats on your new venture!

I just bought one a few days ago, and I was trying to anticipate where to buy parts. I suppose a spare flex shaft would be a good thing to get first.

My prop is ITCHIN...can't wait to finish repainting the Villain. It's lame Mike stopped selling kits; I loved building those bad boys.

I'm getting a TS2 and I think I'll try to finish a WOF this summer. Having the TS2 should help me visualize the WOF finished product.

Peace, man!

Jeffro

JEFF DUDE...

How are you doing man.. I hope well... Glad to see you sportn wood and glass again..

ROCK ON

Grim

Mike! Good to see you, too! I wrote an email to your company to put those kits into production. All is well, dude. 'cept my PTO loosened up on the K&B and I think I need a new 13mm crank and PTO. Grr.

This is an old post but since many people were willing to help i thought i would let you know what the problem was. I tried all the suggestions and the only thing that made any difference was opening the low speed needle. As I said it helped, it didn't entirely solve the problem. In my original post I said "The only thing changed was the boat." Well that finally sunk in and I put the motor back on the original boat(my own design,similar to a Villain). The problem went away! It turned out the new boats are a lot different than the old ones and they trim a lot different. When they settle in a corner they raise in the back and lift the prop. My OS didn't like that at all. I've since been running a Thuder Tiger on that boat and have worked out some of the trim issues. By the way, adding strakes were helpful to getting the trim right. Now the boat wasn't the entire problem because I have a friend running an OS on the same boat and he didn't have these issues. I think some of it is my engine setup. It's a sport motor but not stock. Go Figure? :huh: :huh: Thanks for your suggestions. Mike

Back