OPS 90 setup

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Carl Wilson

I've got a OPS90 engine. I started setting it up last year and could not get it set right. I don't remember what the setting on the carb needle was (been a year), but it had fuel running out of everywhere. (exhaust and carb). I read somewhere to run the remote needle. I set it up, but haven't tried it so far this year. I really don't see the need for the remote needle except to adjust on the fly, which I'm not going to do. My question is, where should I start (turns out ) on the needle? Is the remote needle even needed?

Thanks for your help,

Carl

Hello everybody .

Carl W., This is a reply from Australia . Over the ~ 20 years that I have been in Model Boat racing , there have been 3 different OPS 90 Engines . The 1st . engine was a square head Grey followed by a square head Black cylinder and water jacket . The Grey and definetely the Black motor had OPS 15 CC cast on top of the water jacket . The Black motor had a seperate cylinder to the crankcase and a bolt on barrel carby with no mixture adjustment and needed the Remote mixture to get it running decently . In the past few years , there has been a newer version which looks like a oversize OPS 67 / 80 motor that has a round cylinder that is cast in with the crankcase and the water jacket is a snot green colour . Hopefully , this helps with your enquiries - I believe that over time there have been some aftermarket parts made for the Black OPS 90 - carby etc.

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Carl, are you sure the disc rotor is installed correctly. It will spit fuel everywhere if it's in backwards. Looking down the carb barrel it should open as the piston is on the upstroke, turning the flywheel counter clockwise. ;)

Thanks for the reply Ian, this is one of the "middle" ones. This 90 engine has a square black head with the 15cc imprinted on it.

Ray,

thanks for your reply as well.

I will look check this out and let everyone know.

thanks again guys...\

\

Carl

Hello everybody .

Carl W., As Ray S., pointed out about the disc - it's possible to install the disc 4 different ways , been known to happen and in addition to that when the motor is running at low speed do sometimes reverse it's rotation . I have seen a few boats over the years with the Black OPS 90 coming back to the pit person and shoreline . The recommendation given to me was to start the motor with the original OPS Remote mixture on 3 turns and have the RC arm half way in the travel range . It should be slobbering rich or as we say - 4 stroking before leaning it out gradually after a few tanks running through a variety of rev ranges instead of running hard from just after the boat has been launched . Use a prop close to what would normally be used and don't load the motor too much . Give it another go after checking the motor over and see if there is any difference . They sometimes like to have a large or extra large fuel line , espescially when running 40% + Nitro . Hopefully this helps with your enquiry .

Regards

Ian Baas

Tall Fella Racing

Australia

Ray,

I've never had the motor apart, so I'm guessing the disc rotor is installed correctly. (Don't know 100%) but guessing it is...

Carl

Ray,

I bought the 90 from a guy on another forum. It was suppose to be new, and he threw in another one for parts. It looked new from the looks of the top of the piston. I had it running once last year, threw it in the pond, it died, I never tried again. oiled her down and put it up for the winter. I havent tried so far this year.

Carl

on another note, what would be a good starting point for the distance from the glo plug to the convergence point of the pipe? (on this same OPS 90 engine)?

Thanks again,

Carl

111/2" to12" on pipe length and as it gets dialed in 11 1/4" you may like a 60 pipe AA OR ANDY BROWN PARIBOLIC will pull super RRRR'S and have nice mid range .check out my videos on the outrigger forum under Evil twin later Charles

Charles,

Just read over your "evil twin" thread. That rigger really looks good!!! The video of it running........makes me jealous. Once I start back on mine, I will probably be asking you for some direction. Unfortunately, around here I am the only one that has boats. I also have a Aeromarine Sprint Cat with a RCMK 30 gas engine. I've always had the OPS 90 engines, even back 30 years ago. I need to post a pic of my rigger. I'll try to do that tomorrow.

Very impressive boat you have.

Carl

Back