One for debate!

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My .02 pesos……..If it’s not in the books as “against the rules” it must be allowed. I also agree that there should be a reclassification of boats that allows a pure tunnel classification. I’m not a big fan of scale, since this would preclude a lot of fun racing. Standoff scale sounds good…..maybe a generous % variation on dimensions of actual tunnels? Maybe a technical panel? Who knows…….

There may be a few more kicks left in this horse before it goes........

anyone else want to weigh in?

Gene, if that was for me, I knew about those, that's why that piece wasn't mentioned. I've never seen an F1 in person, just the smaller ones at races nearby. I was referring to the angled plastic winglets on the cowling. Maybe something that the big boys will look at!

Hi ,

Here's my take on turn fins. We all agree that everyone tries in some way to preserve realism in running and racing model boats,So why not throw a left turn into the race course just like the real race course. If we do anything else it should be up to IMPBA and NAMBA to make a ruling on this before next race season starts.

Hi Guy's

It seems some people may have taken some of my comments too literally. I suggested scalish looking boats - I don't recall ever mentioning dimensions. What we are after is 'the look' - mesurements are almost irrelevant. On the painting issue I don't advocate copying full scale paint jobs (like1/8th scale) what I am advocating is full sized inspired paint jobs - take the clues from the way they do their boats not copy them.

Use a NASCAR type paint job - it looks like a racing boat without being limited to the few racing. I know you guy's could do that without too much trouble.

But back on the point - Is the issue on turn fins - the placement - the advantage/disadvantage - the damage potential - or is it really what it does to the appearance? I guess this was sort of my point.

Either way I think to progress you guy's have got to get tunnels recognised as their own discrete type of hull - not some other form of hydro.

GT : :)

My Prather 3.5 which was one of my first boats would never turn, no matter what size (big or small) turn fin I put on it or where I mounted it. I couldn't care less if someone wanted to race with one. My opinon would be that it's a bummer and not suited to my taste. But, to each their own. That's why there are so many different style boats on the market today.

The stock tunnel class as we know it is dieing out, we all know why (no K& B) . As for the Scale class let's limit the "Rule" changes you guys would like to see and work w/what we have now while we still can.

Racers

I feel that this has been a good post. I have the feeling that most that run and race tunnels feel the same way I do. That is to look at this as an opportunity to define tunnel boats as its own definition and leave the turn fin issue as is. (However I would still like to give this a little more thought)

For those that think that this post was to just piss off people and change the rules it was not. It is a review of what kind of progress we are seeing and how as racers we feel about it. In this case it is a turn fin mounted on the exterior of a tunnel boat.

As IMPBA OBD this type of forum seems like a natural for obtaining this kind of information.

Good Racing

Michael “Grimraer” Zaborowski

Grim,

It has been a great and thoughtful post!

I think 99% agree we wouldn't use turn fins or think they belong on the boats but are exceptable. I like how Ron played "Devils Advocate".

Good things like Stumble blocks have been a great addition to tunnels as well as you creating the Villain, Loren-Miller has saved LeeCraft and his boats are **** fast! Throw in HTB, DPI, Bandit, Aerotech, Van Hoten etc and we have a great looking race pit area as well as competitive heats. Jerry D has been the master by helping us over the years with the WOF and massive articles to RCBM. Hey Sam Maus Jr, I know you must have the original molds hiding some where, sell 'em to me! LOL

Gene slideblues, please E mail me your home address.

I want to send you something. It's a secret. ;)

Gene slideblues, please E mail me your home address.

I want to send you something. It's a secret. ;)
Dang Gene, I didnt know you had the "hook up" like that....... Thats not fair ;D ;D

Grim,

I have one other comment about this debate. You stopped every other OB thread since putting this out here. ;D

Mark

I think the forum is a excellent way to get the word out and see what everyones feeling's are on what ever topic comes up in racing.

Hey James,

Jack has allway's been very helpfull anytime I have had a question about one of his products or just outboards in general. ;)

Gene ;D

Latest posts

Back