Old Dominion Model Boat Associaton

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chuck h said:
Don Ferrette said:
John Finch said:
Don Ferrette said:
John Knight said:
John Finch said:
I cancelled my two riggers and will be adding lsg hydro.  I have gone mad about gas.  That's where the action is headed, and that's where I want to be.  Gonna be some awesome gas and offshore racing!
111058[/snapback]

I cannot believe my eyes!!!!!!!!!!! AND I have my glasses on. The venerable John Finch is benching his riggers for gassers. What will happen next???

111079[/snapback]

Don't worry, it's a phase Finch goes thru when it gets hot outside. :p

111126[/snapback]

It could be a long phase. I like to hear the nitro engines sing, but I only do that at record trials. I always run low rpm for heat racing anyway. So.....like P said : Why buy glow plugs, expensive fuel, have a messy cleanup, have to set a needle valve, have to have a practice day to set up the boat, etc. Heat racing to me is not about seeing who is the fastest, but running side by side with a bunch of boats and diving in and out of traffic with rooster tails tearing up the pond. My new approach........ Heat racing = gas and racing. Record trials= nitro and all out speed.

111382[/snapback]

So you'll be dropping off those unwanted 45 & 67 SGX's at my house right? :lol:

111391[/snapback]

Makes sense to me.......... :p

111419[/snapback]

I will trade my 67 boat ready to run for your gas boat ready to run.

Ray Sametz said:
Finch and Ferrette, Just breaking shoes. Whats next FAST ELECTRICS. Old friends new faces, can't wait. Shaping up to be great fun. Ray and Carl B)   B)   B)
111485[/snapback]

I'm actually considering building a FE 1/8th scale this winter. B)

Preston_Hall said:
The gas and open classes are really stacking up. I can tell you guys that we do race 6,7, & 8 boat heats in Chesapeake. You will have to race. No give-me classes if possible. Also, offshore will not be what anybody expects. The current course will be changed directly before open water on Friday. I was thinking maybe a slalom. This should eliminate any "home boy" advantage.
111088[/snapback]

Guess it's good I did up plenty of bouys! Just got done with base coat of white latex flat, tomorrow they get the flouroscent orange & rope loops then loaded into the trailer. Geez they look like mushrooms sittin' there. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
The weather here in Charlotte feels GREAT today. I think we are going to have REALLY NICE CONDITIONS in Chesapeake this weekend!!! :D B)

Looking Forward to a Great Weekend and Fantastic Racing!!!

Scott Norris

Scooter12195 said:
The weather here in Charlotte feels GREAT today. I think we are going to have REALLY NICE CONDITIONS in Chesapeake this weekend!!!  :D   B)

Scott Norris

111650[/snapback]

Yup, WAY better than Florida!!! Forecast for Chesapeake is mid to upper 80s, nice.

I'm a bit bummed. I ordered some parts for my new cat the beginning of last week. As of yesterday they hadn't showed up. Even if they arrive today I estimate I'll need about 2.5 hours to get them installed and then hope I can get the boat running ok during open water tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to have to scratch one boat. :(

piper_chuck said:
Scooter12195 said:
The weather here in Charlotte feels GREAT today. I think we are going to have REALLY NICE CONDITIONS in Chesapeake this weekend!!!   :D   B)

Scott Norris

111650[/snapback]

Yup, WAY better than Florida!!! Forecast for Chesapeake is mid to upper 80s, nice.

I'm a bit bummed. I ordered some parts for my new cat the beginning of last week. As of yesterday they hadn't showed up. Even if they arrive today I estimate I'll need about 2.5 hours to get them installed and then hope I can get the boat running ok during open water tomorrow. Looks like I'm going to have to scratch one boat. :(

111655[/snapback]

Naaaaaaaaaah, The parts will come today and you'll stay up all night working on it, then leave for Chesapeake at daybreak and you won't be worth a toot all weekend. Typical race weekend. :blink:

Scooter12195 said:
Naaaaaaaaaah, The parts will come today and you'll stay up all night working on it, then leave for Chesapeake at daybreak and you won't be worth a toot all weekend. Typical race weekend.  :blink:
111656[/snapback]

You're probably right. My wife's been giving me grief about all the time I've spent in the shop this week. Last night she predicted I'd be out there again tonight. :)

At least I got custody of the Explorer for the weekend. The convertable was ok for 2, or maybe 3 boats, but the E-Zup put it over the limit. The bad part is I'm going from 27 MPG to about 18. :(

Big thanks to Preston, and all the members of the host club, for making this a great weekend. And one more thanks to John, Don, and Steve for their help with the engine in my Sport 40 on Friday.

MAN that was FUN!!!!! Many Thanks to Preston and all the ODMBA Club Members! I Had A Blast!! :lol: :D

John I'm sure Preston will Post up all the Results and Pictures soon.

Scott Norris

piper_chuck said:
Big thanks to Preston, and all the members of the host club, for making this a great weekend.  And one more thanks to John, Don, and Steve for their help with the engine in my Sport 40 on Friday.
111916[/snapback]

Your welcome. I really enjoyed watching that last heat when you took the inside lane at the end of the heat and waxed everyone down the front straightaway. That mac must have been turning 30 grand!

John

Yup, a good time was definitely had & a BIG high five to Preston for a superb job in both running the race & how he mixed all the classes to minimize the chances of those dreaded "back to back" heats. My weekend was mixed with highlights winning Concours & tied for first in scale with my good friend Bob Morton. We decided to settle it on a coin toss & I was lucky enough to win the toss. The not so highlights included me having my twin get hit then me hitting someone later with the same boat. I haven't been racing the twin (or anything near that fast) since Atlanta, I was rusty & it showed. Never found my groove & my timing was way off, especially when I exploded bouy #5 with a direct hit in round #1. Didn't fair much better in 20 hydro as me & Kevin Bulifant got tangled up twice. I guess at least being told they got me on the gun doing 72+ in the last 20 heat made me feel a little better. It was still a good time & the tradition of the ODMBA Invitational race lives on. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
John Finch said:
piper_chuck said:
Big thanks to Preston, and all the members of the host club, for making this a great weekend.  And one more thanks to John, Don, and Steve for their help with the engine in my Sport 40 on Friday.
111916[/snapback]

Your welcome. I really enjoyed watching that last heat when you took the inside lane at the end of the heat and waxed everyone down the front straightaway. That mac must have been turning 30 grand!

John

111931[/snapback]

Even though that heat was a bit of a blur for me, things go by much quicker than in the B tunnel races, it was definitely the highlight of my weekend. :) It proved the boat's ready to race, now I just need to figure out how to get consistant with the engine tuning and learn to read it better. Much to learn...

A big THANK YOU to Aeromarine Laminates for the boats donated to the raffle. I won the sport gas boat!! What a weekend! 8 boat heats brought the fun back into racing. Yes, they were all gas boats, yes, they all ran in the 60 mph range. Yes, it was a blast!!!!

John

John Finch said:
A big THANK YOU to Aeromarine Laminates for the boats donated to the raffle.  I won the sport gas boat!!  What a weekend!  8 boat heats brought the fun back into racing.  Yes, they were all gas boats, yes, they all ran in the 60 mph range.  Yes, it was a blast!!!!
John

111934[/snapback]

Don't be so modest John, it was the same thing you've been doing for over 30 years just 20 mph slower. Every heat was basically the same, hit the start around the first turn & you were gone, race over. :p

John Finch said:
A big THANK YOU to Aeromarine Laminates for the boats donated to the raffle.  I won the sport gas boat!!  What a weekend!  8 boat heats brought the fun back into racing.  Yes, they were all gas boats, yes, they all ran in the 60 mph range.  Yes, it was a blast!!!!
John

111934[/snapback]

Does this mean you will need another turn fin................?

El Zorro said:
John Finch said:
John

111934[/snapback]

Does this mean you will need another turn fin................?

111939[/snapback]

Yes, your fins are the only way I will go. If anyone wants a good sport gas hydro fin, call Dick Tyndal. As for Don's reply......What I was trying to convey is that it was a crowd pleaser. People got out of their chairs to watch the 8 boat heats. All big boats, easy to see, water flying everywhere!

John

Latest posts

Back