OffshoreElectrics Contest Winner

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pagemaster

We held our first contest for 24 GP3300 batteries! To win you had to submit a quality article on "How to Spray Paint a Hull". The deadline ended yesterday 12/31/2004

Ralph von Eppinghoven took the prize.

We at OffshoreElectrics would like to thank Ralph and all the other guys that submitted articles. All the articles were well done which made the choice a difficult one!

You can view the article here

http://www.offshoreelectrics.com/articlesmain.htm

Happy New Year!

Steven Vaccaro

www.OffshoreElectrics.com

Last edited by a moderator:
Steven

Thanks for selecting my article as the winner. I hope your readers find it useful.

Regards RvE

Good job to both of you...to the winner and the sponsor of the project. Fun stuff and we need more or it!

Ralph, I read you story and wondered if I missed it or you do not use wet sanding. I always wet sand no matter if it is the color coat,primer or even the first clear coat.

Just wondered. Again, nice job!

Jeff

I only do wet sanding if I have a big sanding job, say stripping a hull of old dried paint. I like to wet sand big jobs since the rinsing of the water on the surface and the sand paper clears out the debris and speeds up the work.

In between painting, I do not wet sand, only because my hulls will be masked and I do not want the water to loosen or damage the masking tape or other masking materials (sometime paper). I only lightly sand with about 600 grit (sometimes 400 if it is not as smooth as I like) in between coats and carefully wipe the hull with tack cloth. I swear by tack cloth.....it picks up every last bit of dust.

There are lots of different ways to achieve a good paint job. I just always stick with the method I described in the article since it works for me. If you are having good success with wet sanding between coats, stick with it.

Cheers RvE

Last edited by a moderator:
I wet sand all body parts before priming or painting. Always did this on cars and I have never had paint come off or flake. I like 400 and on to 600 just for a light sanding. Then I blow all parts dry and do not wipe...it creates static Electricity...I tack off and shoot.

Between colors and before clear I wet sand the color lines so they can't be felt under the clear.

Latest posts

Back