Off Topic/Cell phone question???

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

ggillman

Hey you Dudes of the Digital Domain,

I got a Nokia cell given to me, Took it in into US Cellular, my current provider, to have it activated, They say its been activated by AT@T Wireless services and wont touch it, I have to buy one of their phones instead, WHAT!!!!!!! :eek:

Question is, Is this some kind of marketing deal or just BULL?

Gene > :(

From what I understand, the phones are only good for the co. that issues them. My guess is everyone uses different codes and encrytion. That's all I can say on that...Rich

Hi Rich,

I toned down the first message, cause I was a little HOT!!!! when I wrote it, I guess that makes since, but it seems a waste if you change providers then the phone is useless,

Thanks for your reply,

Gene ;D

Who hasn't had this problem? I bought a Uniden phone from CenturyTel, a pay as you go phone and found out that it is unusable now. The cell phone that I have now is only good until 01/22/03 then no good. I hate to toss the phone but I'm going to try to salvage the batteries for reciever packs.

..this is just another example of the cell carriers trying to screw us. > :(

Any cellphone is programmable (and subsequently reprogrammable) to contain two pin #s. One is unique to the phone, and the other is unique to your cell provider and account.

Reprogramming them is easy...and they have the equipment to do it!!..but would rather sell you a phone.

You can buy the 'kit' to do it yourself over the internet...but this is obviously highly illegal and used primarily to 'clone' existing phones for blackmarket users.

..buying one of their phones is like surrendering...don't do it. (although they are all the same and sooner or later... you have to get one of 'em)

The government is going to have to step in to stop it.

Back