Odonell, Blue Thunder, or Cool Power?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmmmm......I ran Cool Power in my planes for years without problems...I wonder if the boat stuff is that much different. ???
I wonder if that is because the motor has a big cooling device in front of it (air prop).

hmmm well I think OPS + cool power = too many bits and pieces... Picco seemed to be the same... even popped a CMB on the stuff....

Personally will never use it again in a boat....

Very happy with NEO!! (probably lb625)

No blow ups since changing to NEO

EMS Racing We dont sell NEO

I now run my boats for sport, not racing (still recovering from the 80's).

I like the smaller monos, with .12 or .15 marine motors. To find these in a marine version leads to slim pickings. I usually run 15-20% nitro with 16-18% oil. No problems.

Look into any LHS or online source, and .12-.15 car motors are in abundance and at very attractive prices. Air cooled of course. I see pics of guys using these motors and figure why not?

Would the recomendation be to use what is advised by the mfg as for fuel, even though it will be in a boat?

Would it be a benefit or drawback to use the same type of fuel I have been using with 16-18% oil?

????????????????

Too much oil is always better than not enough. I don't think it would hurt at all to stick with what you are already using in your marine engines for a buggy engine powered boat.

Just my thoughts

I think I'm done with O'Donnell's forever. It's starting to weaken the clear coat on my boats. I've never had RedMax or Byron's eat at my Deltron PPG clear before like O'Donnell's does. It's also horrible on the clothes unlike most fuels.

Anyone else notice this problem?

Oh you mean the lovely brown stains it leaves behind...

Must be the same oil they call NEO here. Yes I have learned to either have a dark colour rear of the boat or just not care about stains. The oil shouldnt lift the paint though.

EMS Racing Stained boats a specialty

Boaters,

I know O'Donnell fuel stains, but I think it still runs

THE BEST. If anyone needs any, I have 50% in stock,

and ready to ship.

Thanks,

Mark Sholund

PROPS-4-U :D

Boaters,

Byron fuel does not stain and I think it still runs

THE BEST. If anyone needs any, You have to go through your local HS or to Byron Originals,

Its always ready to ship.

Thanks,

Grimracer

Byron sponserd Driver :D

..got to love the plug

Just having fun with yea mark ;D

Grim,

I like your sense of HUMOR. Both are really good,I guess

I should try some Byron fuels. Maybe then I could get

sponsored. ;D ;D ;D

Rock On,

Mark Sholund :D

Boaters,

Eat My Shorts fuel stains EVERYTHING IN SIGHT and I think it still runs

THE BEST. If anyone needs any, You have to go through your local Eat My Shorts Racing representative or to the Westgate Bridge (Melbourne Australia).. we have a stall in a little tent under the bridge.

Its never ready to ship.

Thanks,

EMS Racing

I'm worried about you Craig - have you been sniffing the fuel or somethin'? : :)

Too much oil is always better than not enough. I don't think it would hurt at all to stick with what you are already using in your marine engines for a buggy engine powered boat.

Just my thoughts
Too much oil is just as harmful to a motor as not enough. If the fuel uses a low grade oil no amount of oil will protect the motor.

Mike Grimracer,

Can you get me the contact info for Byron's fuel. That's my favorite but nobody sells it in NorCal.

RG 8)

Too much oil is just as harmful to a motor as not enough. If the fuel uses a low grade oil no amount of oil will protect the motor.
Joe,

I understand that if the oil is low grade that it will break down fast & cause problems. How would 18% oil content boat fuel harm buggy engines that normally run on about 12% assuming the 18% oil content is high grade oil? I would think that any excess oil would blow out of the pipe. Admittedly, I am not an engine guru, so please let me know the error in my thinking.

Last edited by a moderator:
wswatzell said:
Joe,

I understand that if the oil is low grade that it will break down fast & cause problems. How would 18% oil content boat fuel harm buggy engines that normally run on about 12% assuming the 18% oil content is high grade oil? I would think that any excess oil would blow out of the pipe. Admittedly, I am not an engine guru, so please let me know the error in my thinking.
Hi Wade-

Too much oil can cause the bearings to skid in the race, which will trash the bearing race. For record trials I will run 10-12% but for heat racing 18% -20% has worked very well for me for a long time.

And did anyone think the oil content affects your compression????

I will swear black and blue that a drop in oil will drop your compression ratio.... especially on older engines. That seems to apply to dropping the castor content and replacing with synthetic too....

EMS Racing Does that mean no oil = no compression?

Back