OB Mono

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Microburst 20 mono.

I installed a second transom in front of original. Slot cut in original transom just large enough for the Lawless lower to stick through. Motor is locked straight with two threaded rods through second transom. Notice that motor is mounted on adjustable mount so everything is adjustable....trim angle, vertical. Skeg removed from lower unit, steer with rudder.

Boat handles nice, needs better trim tabs. I made these out of KS aluminum. Have a new set of adjustable tabs to put on it.

Darin,

I always wanted to rig a mono like this with an outboard. I posted these pics in reply to the thread about what is legal for this concept. I don't think this is legal in NAMBA because they prohibit locking the engine and using a rudder for OB mono. IMPBA has no seperate OB mono class but that does not stop me from trying something like this. It is a fun and great handling boat.

I have raced this boat only once and the conditions were terrible, rough all weekend. With some set up work and a piped engine it would run VERY well.

Mark,

That is a pretty cool setup. The mounting of the engine is an excellent idea. That really has to move the center of gravity forward and help the handling. Does the boat tend to rock back and forth in the straights, and does it hug the corners pretty good? Once again, a pretty cool looking boat. :D

Jeff

Jeff,

The boat turns like it's on rails and runs good on the straights unless the water is real rough. I think the adjustable tabs that I am going to put on it will help. I have been told that the 4 tab set up works good for fine tuning the ride.

Basically what I did was keep the prop location, rudder location and CG as close to the inboard set up instructions as possible. Yes, moving the weight of the engine forward helps. What really makes it handle well is locking the engine and steering with the rudder.

LOVE what you have done, just looking at the set-up it would seam to me the trim tabs as they are now would more affect the cornering than the straights as they sit kinda high from where the boat rides, two lower tabs for straight line adjustment and two higher for your cornering and it should tune out nicely. again something different and looks great!

Latest posts

Back