O.T. Big three bailout

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am allmost scared to put up my post but here it goes. I am a retired Auto Worker. I did 30 years at the world famous Jeep plant in Toledo Ohio. I worked in the body shop where we built the bodies for the Jeeps. Sure I made good money but it was hard work. I moved tons of steel every day and pounded the concrete floors every day. Got up at 4 am every morning and did years of 10 hour days and worked more Saturdays then I care to admit. I have had more cuts and stitches than most people see in a lifetime. I have had sergery on both knees. I have seen guys killed on the job. I sweat my butt off in the summer (no airconditioning) and sweat my butt off in the winter. I have given the company money for retooling. (paid hollidays) I was not allowed a day off without a doctors excuse. I was not paid when I was sick. My average years salery was 40k. Do you think that is to much pay? They consider the poverty rate for a family of 4 to be 36k. Sure there were some slackers but to say that all auto workers are is nuts. Do you think the CEOs are worth the 500 times the pay the regular line guy gets? And yes the UAW has got the companies to agree on some crazy stuff but to blame the UAW for the big threes troubles in nuts. Untill you walk a mile in an auto workers shoes which I did for years before most of you got out of bed, do not be so judgemental. Working in a factory is hard work. Most of you have no clue!! <_<

I am allmost scared to put up my post but here it goes. I am a retired Auto Worker. I did 30 years at the world famous Jeep plant in Toledo Ohio. I worked in the body shop where we built the bodies for the Jeeps. Sure I made good money but it was hard work. I moved tons of steel every day and pounded the concrete floors every day. Got up at 4 am every morning and did years of 10 hour days and worked more Saturdays then I care to admit. I have had more cuts and stitches than most people see in a lifetime. I have had sergery on both knees. I have seen guys killed on the job. I sweat my butt off in the summer (no airconditioning) and sweat my butt off in the winter. I have given the company money for retooling. (paid hollidays) I was not allowed a day off without a doctors excuse. I was not paid when I was sick. My average years salery was 40k. Do you think that is to much pay? They consider the poverty rate for a family of 4 to be 36k. Sure there were some slackers but to say that all auto workers are is nuts. Do you think the CEOs are worth the 500 times the pay the regular line guy gets? And yes the UAW has got the companies to agree on some crazy stuff but to blame the UAW for the big threes troubles in nuts. Untill you walk a mile in an auto workers shoes which I did for years before most of you got out of bed, do not be so judgemental. Working in a factory is hard work. Most of you have no clue!! <_<
very well said

i my opinion if the government lets the auto plants go down, theres a lot of people on here that will be losing their jobs because of it, and won't understand why. rember reagan's trickle down economy? it works both ways

I gotta laugh. I heard a Senator claiming that the 'big three' was failing because they are building the WRONG products. Funny thing is that yesterday I saw several large Pickups and SUV's on the road, from THREE different Japaneese auto makers! :eek:

Those three companies used to be the 'little' guys surounded by the BIG THREE fish.

I don't think they are asking for a bailout!

Let the big three go under.

Toyota and others will hire most of the TALENTED labor force and produce cars to fill the void.

P.S.

GM plans to send One Billion$$ of that tax payer money to Brazil.

Read all about it!

http://www.laht.com/article.asp?ArticleId=...ategoryId=12396

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm hearing TON's of "violins"

You would think "The Big Three" would have had a game plan together before the executives jumped on their private jets, flew to Washington D.C. and asked our Bush president for "bail-out" money.

They didn't even have a financial advisor with them, nor even a committee formed to express their idea - if they even have one.

They were told to go home and come back when they have a clue what they expect to do with the money. :wacko

Not a very good impression I would say and only reinfored my feelings of them being jugheads with how they handle things.

You would think "The Big Three" would have had a game plan together before the executives jumped on their private jets, flew to Washington D.C. and asked our Bush president for "bail-out" money.
They didn't even have a financial advisor with them, nor even a committee formed to express their idea - if they even have one.

They were told to go home and come back when they have a clue what they expect to do with the money. :wacko

Not a very good impression I would say and only reinfored my feelings of them being jugheads with how they handle things.
Not surprising at all

The company I work for use to make aluminum engine parts for Ford and Gm.

We became so good at it we were given a number of awards and we were invited to attend their annual meeting to discuss what they had planned for the future.

At first my company was thrilled to be included in such an important conference but then after a few years of going to these meetings it was apparent that none of the plans were being implemented and that they basically kept saying the same things over and over again.

It was all to obvious that they really had no plan for the future at all.

It was then (five years ago) that my company decided to start looking at other options to secure our future , we were fortunate enough to get a chance to do some Honda parts and now five years later we make ten different parts with more on the table for the new year.

As for GM and Ford , we no longer do any work for them and if we were I would be out of a job today.

Tim K

i wounder how the australian motor industry is doing?
I'd have to say, not so great. For years our government threw serious bucks at Mitsubishi to keep them manufacturing cars here. Mitsubishi pulled the plug in March this year.

Ford anounced earlier this year they are closing their engine plant in 2010 and have already laid off a percentage of their workforce. Just last week they announced they will be reversing the decision regarding the engine plant closure (but we'll see).

GM have been keeping quiet, but their Aussie built car (the Commodore) - sales are waaaaay down apparently. The larger car market has dropped significantly thanks in part to the price of fuel. It's a shame, becuase both GM and Ford have been turning out some pretty good locally made cars lately. Maybe now that our dollar is in the toilet they might start exporting in greater numbers.

Chris;the money you quoted was WAY low. try 47 an hour now, and Olds died and buick is not doing well these days. as for hummer, it should never have been made a civilian unit at all.

yepper on the CEO thing that is for sure. cut their pay in half or more, take an airline to where ever they need to go. take away their personal useage corp. jets, move into a regular neighborhood, what ever.

i totaly agree with you on the makes as far as chevy.gmc, ford Merc, ect,,,,,,,,,,,,

make chevys, fords, and (biting my tongue; just my personal opinion) give chrysler the axe. even mercedes doesnt want them any more.

drop the gmc, mercury, what ever and make only Cadilac and Lincoln the american luxury models

the big 3 also really need to get on the wagon and make smaller more fuel efficient cars. make or bring over some of the more spirited turbo diesel opels and fords. they are great cars and dang quick.

all we can do now is wait and see what happens in a couple of weeks to see if the 3 get their snit together and get finacial help.

carl
WOW thats pretty harsh! I drive a DODGE,and it has a TURBO :eek: MOPAR TO YA!Iv'e been a welder for Thirty too many years, and have worked both sides of the union non union line. There are good unions and bad, just as there good employers and bad. I feel that corporate greed has done more to destroy this country than any union has.

Your mileage may vary.

Larry Conrad

i wounder how the australian motor industry is doing?
I'd have to say, not so great. For years our government threw serious bucks at Mitsubishi to keep them manufacturing cars here. Mitsubishi pulled the plug in March this year.

Ford anounced earlier this year they are closing their engine plant in 2010 and have already laid off a percentage of their workforce. Just last week they announced they will be reversing the decision regarding the engine plant closure (but we'll see).

GM have been keeping quiet, but their Aussie built car (the Commodore) - sales are waaaaay down apparently. The larger car market has dropped significantly thanks in part to the price of fuel. It's a shame, becuase both GM and Ford have been turning out some pretty good locally made cars lately. Maybe now that our dollar is in the toilet they might start exporting in greater numbers.
i think i am gonna just wait and watch this , and to spend my time this winter ill just work on my junk.

tk

Larry, not harsh at all. Why do you think Daimler sold them? Also my wifes Brother who owns the GM franchise in their home town in Mississippi is dropping them in favor of 3 Asian Marques this coming March. The Ford place moved out of town to another town, and the Chrysler dealer folded 2 years ago. and we do own 1 dodge product. only reason we keep it around, is that it is paid for. (wifes car)

anyways, Andy, i saw that same article and nearly dropped over dead. If you think about it, GM must really think that the Gov't officials area real dumb and that they can pull the perverbial wool over there eyes.

I drove by our local Ford dealer saturday afternoon on the way to good old harbor freight tools and was surprised to see only about 1/4 to 1/3 of the lot full. normally the place is packed with vehicles of all types.

Toyota was smart at the time when the gas was $4 a gallon in anouncing they would put a hold on truck production until the gas prices came down, which they did.

The Japanese automakers are quite receptive to the world market thats for sure.

and i do agree that they have not asked for any kind of monitary assistance.

i havent checked up on the european market (BMW, VW,ect.) other than Opel was bailed out by th eGerman Gov't a couple weeks ago. (GM owned)

It is going to be very interesting to say the least as to what happens on the 8th of next month when the big 3 return to the table and pitch there woe's.

anyways, been doing some prop testing for Jim Schaefer at ABC props and have found some great ones for teh 21 motors. :D :D :D

carl

Ford was going to put a big parts plant back in the 80s here in fla till florida said no tax break well how do we keep the jobs here if gov. wont help the worker yes by all means the compnys are to blame alot by expanding to much they need to cut some costs starting at the top all three car makers make some good products till we can cut the cost down to compete with the japanese we will have problems.

I'm a small Toy boat company.I'm about to go under and need some funding before this happens.
Paypal preffered no need to worry about the fees :D

Ed
Pipe insulation will keep you afloat! :p

Larry
No oil to produce pipe insulation, :eek: better use cork. Think Green :D :D :D
I was about to chastise you for suggesting people cut down cork trees, but decided I should educate myself first. I was surprised to learn that cork is harvested every 10-12 years without harming the trees and without machinery. Sounds quite green!!!

and without cork, where would the clarinets, saxes, and double reed instruments be? :D :D

carl

don't forget wine, carl. if it's got a screw top, they sell it at walmart, right, don :lol: :lol:

I think the big three should learn there lessons the hard way!!! Just remember the TUCKER car!!! The big three put him out of business because he had a good car that was way ahead of its time!! The first to have rear engine, seat belts power/hydrolic brakes saftey pop out glass center head light that moves when you turn left or right.Plus that 5.000 pound car that got 52MPG!!!!!! You cant tell me they cant get a 3.500 pounds car to get 52+MPG Plus there nothing but tin cans plastic made car that cost way to much!!!Give me a late 60's-early 70's muscle car that was built better...CARMA comes to bite you back.. If the goverment bails them out they should give them the same displuations as they did to Chrysler in 1981!! No NASCAR sponcered racing for 20 years!!! No drag or dirt/sprint car racing sponcership eighter!!! That why you didnt see Dodge race in NASCAR until 2001.. I think UAW is alittle greety on getting there guys payed 75.00 an hour!!!!While the Japanese&Chineses pays there guys 45.00 an hour. Unions are good to get benafits and protect there works for unfare firing. But who's needs bailed out next?? Been hearing the public transportion system is next!!

Back