Nova 45 DD going lean?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks Doc. Yes the standard Novarossi non-muffled pipe is working very well for the 21 and the 46 DD.

Great news ! Nice vid Charlie !
Tom Foley certainly has his Nova 46 DD running strong! First Place at the 2015 Fall Nats running in an Eagle SGX. I did not see another boat/engine combo that had both the Speed and Consistency that Tom's set up had!

Congrats Tom!

Ok guys I have sorted my issues out with my set up. Medium fuel pressure line was not large enough for my set up, even using 5/32 lines in my fuel tank. After changing nothing else but my pressure line I was able to go back to my usual pipe length and props. The boat ran good, but needed a very rich needle setting on launch and it needed to be richened up quite a lot to get it to step back up. After a little more homework, i bushed my nova muffled pipe's stinger from 10mm to 9.6, this gave me a little more fuel pressure. After sorting through some load issues at our last race, and some testing since and it seems a very happy set up with pipe length at 9 inches and a cupped 1655
Nice work Dave, sounds like a good structured test process

Something to look at is the size of the pressure fitting on the tune pipe.Years ago I had problems with a engine going lean and Jim Irwin said that I had to large of a pressure fitting and put a smaller one on and problem went away.With a large pressue fitting it can bleed off pressure to the tank causing the engine to go lean.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
Something to look at is the size of the pressure fitting on the tune pipe.Years ago I had problems with a engine going lean and Jim Irwin said that I had to large of a pressure fitting and put a smaller one on and problem went away.With a large pressue fitting it can bleed off pressure to the tank causing the engine to go lean.

Dave
Yes, the pulse works in both directions and some times differently. There really is a good bit of "Voodoo" going on in this nitro stuff. Not really Voodoo, but physics that many can not explain.

I once had a pressure fitting get hit in a race and it bent the pipe which changed the direction of the fitting a few degrees.

The next heat we fired it up and it was so rich we had to turn the needle in, a lot.

Thanks guys , no magic here , totally stock , lil rich watching the smoke trail and listening to the engine . Not saying it's the fastest but it's running well . I know I have more speed in the deal with some testing , prop work and a re- finish on the hull but this hull has been great through several engines . John Brown did a great job on this one and it has seen some serious battle !! Having fun !

Hi Tom,

Glad to see you recovered from Charleston!!! What pipe are you running on the NR.46? I'm running my .91Vac's in the twin at 11-1/2" just like you suggested and it is ballistic!!

Thanks, John

Hi Tom,

Glad to see you recovered from Charleston!!! What pipe are you running on the NR.46? I'm running my .91Vac's in the twin at 11-1/2" just like you suggested and it is ballistic!!

Thanks, John
John , stock nova muffled pipe . I gave yours to Joe Wiebelhaus in Charleston , he said he will get it to you . I had some serious gremlins with my twin and I think it may come down to a bad tank , home built tanks that have been working great for years despite brutal abuse !! Glad you are running well .

What a fantastic thread!

Is it possible that there is a vibration problem with this motor? Maybe some motors are worse than others or some guys are using better motor mounts that reduce more vibration? The reason I bring this up is because I had one that broke a screw on the carb, and I was using a servo saver so it was not from the servo trying to push it to far. Also, check out what happened to my carb:

image.jpg

I brought the boat back to the dock, (no crash or anything) and that is what my carb looked like.

FYI Frank orlic sent me a new one free of charge.
Had this same thing happen last weekend. Brand new carb.

Guys what high speed needle are you using? I have had some trouble with the remote needles that came in the box with that motor.

D

What a fantastic thread!

Is it possible that there is a vibration problem with this motor? Maybe some motors are worse than others or some guys are using better motor mounts that reduce more vibration? The reason I bring this up is because I had one that broke a screw on the carb, and I was using a servo saver so it was not from the servo trying to push it to far. Also, check out what happened to my carb:

image.jpg

I brought the boat back to the dock, (no crash or anything) and that is what my carb looked like.

Danny,

Was yours an Orlic carb as well. If so, the long neck with the wide flanged intake may be causing the intake neck on some of these carbs to snap. Contact Frank. Great guy. He will fix you up.

Guys what high speed needle are you using? I have had some trouble with the remote needles that came in the box with that motor.

D
David,

How long ago did you have a problem and what issues were you seeing. Can you send me one that gave you a problem? I have a lot of prople using these factory remote needles with much success. Maybe a bad run. If a defect I will replace it for free. Thanks.

Ron,

Sorry, I should have been more specific and my post is misleading. I cannot say that I have had problems specifically with the needles for that come with this engine but I have had problems with the factory needles with a lot of engines and so I generally don't use them. Sorry for the confusion.

D

Ok. Thanks for the clarification David. I have a lot of customers using these needles so your first post caught me off guard. I hope you are doing well. BTW, I voted through your new NAMBA portal. Worked awesome!!!

What a fantastic thread!

image.jpg

Danny,

Was yours an Orlic carb as well. If so, the long neck with the wide flanged intake may be causing the intake neck on some of these carbs to snap. Contact Frank. Great guy. He will fix you up.
Yes Ron it's a orlic. The problem is the aluminum riser part of the velocity stack is .014" thick and the weight of the trumpet was too much for it. Ran for one day and only had to be retrieved once due to out of fuel. Motor runs awesome.

Some of the carbs were machined a bit thin on the trumpet neck, mine snapped on one and Frank replaced the carb, top shelf service from Frank
default_smile.png

Back