Nova 45 DD going lean?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey Charlie, boats looking good! ... Come on over and join us in January here at Florida.
Even though that boat was a great boat it came to a fatal end while heat racing. Broke the crank and killed the hull. But I want to come down sometime and race the winter Nats with you guy's

What bore size carb, spray bar, and stinger were you running on that Charlie?
Elias the pipe @ .364 and the carb I'm not sure I just sent it to Charles Perdue to have my carbs matched and flowed for my twin so I can't check wright know. I am running a set of Bouchie pipes with a .375" stinger.

Last edited by a moderator:
Elias the pipe @ .364 and the carb I'm not sure I just sent it to Charles Perdue to have my carbs matched and flowed for my twin so I can't check wright know. I am running a set of Bouchie pipes with a .375" stinger.
Lmk how you like the Bouchie pipes.

Thanks

Thanks
As you know the Muck pipe are super but it was night and day when I changed over to the bouchie pipes not changing anything else on set up.

Thanks
As you know the Muck pipe are super but it was night and day when I changed over to the bouchie pipes not changing anything else on set up.
Are you running the stock squish, or modded?...what % fuel and oil are you using?....You mention having a crank failure., was this on an earlier run of the 46DD or latest batch?

Thanks
Are you running the stock squish, or modded?...what % fuel and oil are you using?....You mention having a crank failure., was this on an earlier run of the 46DD or latest batch?
Both were first batch additions on the crank failures and we're opened up 30 degrees and knife edged also more aggressive tornado cutting on the crank. Head @.009 before and on my twin all stock expect carbs and pipes. Cutting on the cranks weakened them but I got a season out of the one and it was a DD and the other was a converted rap around to a DD . Both broke at the oiling hole.

Thanks for the info. Charles...post some footage of the twin 46 when she's done.
X2.....I want to see that as well!!!....
default_smile.png

I've found my 46dd very fussy on plug selection. On cool days I can only get a consistent launch with a 277t and a really rich mixture. On warmer days it's the opposite- 99t or 288t with a lean mixture on launch then quickly richen it up. Any ideas guys? It runs excellent but it is a pain!

Set up is in my 45 hydro, 60% fuel, nova muffled pipe at 9 1/2, either 1655 or 1657, orlic 470 carb. I've got back to back testing from racing the NAMBA nats in California this year (low altitude, hot, air density around 95) and testing at home in aus over winter (cool, low altitude, air at 100%)

I'm in South Florida, so we don't have many cold days here. But I can say this whenever we do have a cold snap, there will be some changes that need to be made to get the motor to burn the fuel...as is with most motors not just the Nova 46DD...such as restricting water to the motor, plug heat range, prop loads, needle settings to compensate for the moisture in the air..etc,etc., all very Normal!!

Elias what boat are you running and what is your setup like. And are you playing around with prop load much.

I found it to have nipped up on the inlet side, severe loss of power is my problem!

Elias what boat are you running and what is your setup like. And are you playing around with prop load much
I run an older Eagle SGX w-the center ski removed, a second generation Nova 46 DD, Frank Orlick .450 Carb., CMB straight nitro pipe, on my brew of 60% with 18% oil, Walt Barney S.S. large tubing humpback tank, Bob Violet needle valve, Timothy Jones clear large 1/8" tubing throughout, Wood's oiler, pitched up 1655.

The piston has nipped up in the liner very slightly. It could be from running the engine too cool at some stage

Back