Nostalgic boat from Indy

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A bit off topic, but...are they still running boats at Roberts lake in Seaside, CA? Watched races there when I was about 9 or 10 (late '70s)....they were running most of the boats you guys are posting ....
isn't that the (man-made?) lake which is now across the street from the Embassy Suites Hotel?
Lol...sounds right....I only visit the Monterey peninsula now...do not live there anymore...

I know a bunch of years back, there was an H&H hardware store and a Kmart in the same shopping center across the road....the lake used to have a "beach" on one end and the rest was surrounded by reeds...good thing for the drivers stand..omg!

Thanks,

Kent

Here are a few (sort of) nostalgic shots from back-in-the-day at world famous Legg Lake, South El Monte, Calif.. Circa 1988.

Top image is showing a few Aeromarine tunnels, they were new and very popular and fast.

The bottom image showing a Prather Piranha with latest K&B .67 (11cc), a fairly new product on the market at that time. Very fast then. Notice the updated Octura Omni (quick-change) motor mount, it had .125 aluminum plate tig-welded and trimmed to front-edge of mount. Acted as a bulkhead essentially. These retro-fitted mounts were supplied by Al Prather (Prather Products) when a number of racers were experiencing cracked engine cases (noticeably on K&B .67's) after running heat. The nature of the "Wing Ding" sponson support/engine mount assembly design would allow flexing inward (about the fuselage) during a run, consequently, placing stress directly to the engine case. I believe most of the failures occured on the C-size (.67) and greater set-up's (greater torque).

Last edited by a moderator:
That Piranha is sweet! You still have it?

Early Aeormarine cat...nice (orig. molds burned in fire...NY)

Thanks for the pics....

-K

Last edited by a moderator:
That Piranha is sweet! You still have it?

Early Aeormarine cat...nice (orig. molds burned in fire...NY)
I wish I still had the Piranha, sold it. But I stiil have a brand-new, in-box, Piranha kit that I hope to build one-day soon (I actually purchased in 1988), holding onto it. Also own a brand-new, never finished, .67/.80 size Coyote rigger 80% kit I'm hoping to build soon as well.

Latest posts

Back