Nitro newbie ops.67

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ben James

Just want some basic tips on the ops .67 "red cooling head" engine

Please note I do not want this engine to be a screamer record breaking engine, leaned out to the max time bomb.

The engine is going in a 1/8th hydroplane that I just want to enjoy coasting around having fun.

I have read the rods are bad ? are they still usable or must it be changed if so where do I get one?.

I have done a basic tear down and would like to install new bearings which are best?

What percentage nitro is good for easier tuning and reliability?

I have a Macs 11cc 1369 tuned pipe, What is a good length to start at?

The carby that came with the engine I believe is a STD OPS, It does not have setting needles, Can I buy the needle or do I need a new carb?

While apart is there any other areas of concern or castings to clean up before reassembly?

Thanks for any information, Please no answers of buy I CMB etc, This is the engine I have im going to give it a go.

Rods are OK for regular use and usually only break under lean wide open conditions . Bearings from your local bearing house will work fine for just play boating or contact boca bearing or trncboater on here. Recomend fuel with 18 - 20 % oil and 25 % nitro or more . Pipe at 11 1/2 - 11 - 3/4 " should be fine .you can use any 67 or bigger needle from OS or many others and just install a nipple fitting in the carb . I have run these for years and those basic rules will keep you rolling along . if you can make a water cooling coil for the pipe coupler it will last a lot longer couped up in a scale hydro .

Thank you very much for the info Tom, I also forgot to ask what plugs should I be using?

And is there any chance you have pics or diagram of the carb with needle in it? and the cooling coil your talking about.

Thanks again

Hey Ben,

Here are a couple of the carbs I have on OPS 67. All of mine are the disc rotor version. First one is the original small bore barrel version. Second is an OPS 80 slide carb. and the last is a K&B carb that required some machining of the back plate and carb to mate and uses a remote needle valve assembly. Forth pic is the last version of the disc rotor engine. Many more ports in sleeve than in any of mine. Some of the later OPS 67 had a drum rotor - I don't have any pics of that version. CHEERS !!! Bob

Latest posts

Back