Nitro fuel resistant urethane finishes?

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldlugs

Hey gang, is there any brand of commonly available (Home Depot) urethane wood finish that will hold up to a nitro spill? I'm almost finished putting my new SIG Fieldboss box together, and need to finish it. While I could go the thinned epoxy route, I'm hoping for an easy to brush urethane...

Minwax? Varathane? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Duane

Hey gang, is there any brand of commonly available (Home Depot) urethane wood finish that will hold up to a nitro spill? I'm almost finished putting my new SIG Fieldboss box together, and need to finish it. While I could go the thinned epoxy route, I'm hoping for an easy to brush urethane...Minwax? Varathane? Any suggestions? Thanks!

Duane

I have used minwax polyurethane for my field box with no problems. It is fuel resistant meaining of you get some fuel on there and wipe it off the finish won't come off with it. Even a spash of fuel that evaporates, down to the oil, in a few minutes won't cause problems. But I wouldn't let a puddle of fuels it soak in the box for overnight. A simple set of drain holes reduces this possiblity to almost nil.

Last edited by a moderator:
www.endura.ca epoxy paint... check locations... it's available in the USA as well. very fuelproof. very affordable. and the part b is usually compatable with clear or other colors if you plan on painting anything in the future.

Thanks guys! Minwax is the answer I was hoping for... Home Depot has it, it's easy to use and less costly than epoxy. I think I'll give it a try. :)

Thanks guys! Minwax is the answer I was hoping for... Home Depot has it, it's easy to use and less costly than epoxy. I think I'll give it a try. :)
I have used and still use Helmsman spar urethane with great success. I have used this on 60 to 65 % nitro right down to gas . No issue unless it gets chippped. But that goes for all paints. Jerry

I have used and still use Helmsman spar urethane with great success. I have used this on 60 to 65 % nitro right down to gas . No issue unless it gets chippped. But that goes for all paints. Jerry

I'll second the Spar recommendation to because it has UV inhibiters and is designed for woods that will be exposed to sunlight. If you haven't made the minwax purhase I'd go with the helmsman first. otherwise the straight poly will be fine.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back