Nitro Fuel Questions

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Derrick Stewart

For practice at the local race pond or just a day at the lake does the nitro% content in your fuel matter that much for boat engines if not racing

I know for racing a 50-60% is the norm to get the most rpm out of the motor

If I use a 20% fuel in my CMB .45 powered mono will it run reliably or is it still better to use a higher nitro say a 30% + even when Im just out foolin around

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
If all you are going to do is "fooling around" lower nitro % is fine. If you are going to be racing at some point you should run what you are going to race with. There are a number of reasons for that, the number one reason is you will know what your set up is, ie: how your motor runs, that your needle setting is close, that your boat is set up correctly, that you are running the correct prop, your pipe setting is correct, you get the idea.

And thats not to say that you cant run and be competitive with low nitro either. You dont have to run 60-70% like "everyone else". This will be the first year that I run over 45%. I usually stick to Byron's 45/16 but this year will be going to 50/16.

Run what you can get ahold of/afford and have a good time. Thats what its all about anyhow; having fun is where its at ;)

And thats not to say that you cant run and be competitive with low nitro either. You dont have to run 60-70% like "everyone else". This will be the first year that I run over 45%. I usually stick to Byron's 45/16 but this year will be going to 50/16.

Run what you can get ahold of/afford and have a good time. Thats what its all about anyhow; having fun is where its at ;)

Last edited by a moderator:

i totally agree with rod on this one...... having fun is where its at..... the low nitro will run fine...and proly more reliable than using the higher nitro...u will use less plugs,,and have a broader needle setting......have fun with it......

No problem brother.

Latest posts

Back