nitro engine

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ernest2

hi! i'm new to rc boating. i need some help about engines. i want to build a scale boat like a motorboat. i want to power it with nitro for longer run time and speed and power. i will put a clutch on it to add realism. can you recommend an engine? the boat would be 30-40in.. i'm even planning to put a jet drive..

is OS .21 rg-mx good? or is .32 better? i'm even thinking of the tamiya FS-18Lt though it's not watercooled.

thanks for any help and opinions.

The 1/8 scales we run are 43in long and require .67 cu in to get 50+ mph. If you want longer run times then just add a larger tank. Everbody wants more speed and power. Not much need in a clutch since you will probably never get a nitro motor to idle consistantly. To quote somebody else, "Have you ever seen a dragster in a drive thru"? Forget the jet drive, prop is always faster.

Really sounds like you should go with a gasoline engine to get good speed, clutch capabilities, and long run times.

i've now decided on the boat i will make.. it will ba a 1/6th scale runabout.. about 31 in long and 10 in wide.. what should be my engine size? it should be fast enough but still scale in appearance type of running.. i'm considering a k&b .18 or the o.s. .21 rg-m.. i will put clutch on it for better scale driving.

that would be good, but they're expensive. and this would be my first boat so it's really a trial and error thing i guess.

If you want to run jet drive and want to run slower speeds with less hassle plus long run times, why don't you go the electric route?. If you want sounds, use the RAm sound boards. With a 31" boat, they will push it along quite well.

would a 540 motor do great in a graupner mini jet drive by powering it with a 6 volts lead acid? because i want longer run times and i can only get it by going gel cells, but i'm concerned because these batteries are only 6 and 12 volts.. 12 is to far heavy.thanks!

Back