Nichrome wire

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MarkScott

Wondering what gauge is being used on your hot wire cutters? Mine has broke and ready to buy some, but don't know what gauge it was...

A dia of.032 seems to work fine. I use an isolation transformer & variac to control the wire temperature. Where are you getting the ni-chrome wire? I have made several hot wire cutters of my own. I will post pictures if interested. :) :) :)

Jim

I am interested in seeing the hotwire cutter.

I have been wanting to build one for a long time now but have no idea where to start?

My small hand held unit uses .010 ni-chrome on a 9v .5A power pack and is 7" long.

My larger bow has adjustable power supply and I can use just about anything on it.

I like to use .015-.020 piano wire on it and adjust the power supply to suit the job.

Mike

Mike,

Are you using piano wire or ni-chrome wire on your big bow? :) :) :)

Jim

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim Allen said:
Mike,
Are you using piano wire or ni-chrome wire on your big bow? :)   :)   :)

Jim

113576[/snapback]

Jim,

I use piano wire. If you crank up the power and make it glow red you will see hot spots in the the wire. It will break at these spots. But that is much more heat than needed to cut foam.

Mike

Jim Allen said:
Where are you getting the ni-chrome wire?
Right now, Fleebay.. Since there was several different gauges to pick from, thought I'd inquire here. I bought the wire cutter off fleebay also. Don't know what happened to the extra wire that was in the purchase that I have. I do need to buy some since there are two 34" WOF's being built.

Thanks for the input....

Anyone have a pic of one? I am interested in making one unless they are cheap enough to buy? Any one have a link or pic to get me started?

Thanks, Ed

PondSkimmer said:
Anyone have a pic of one?  I am interested in making one unless they are cheap enough to buy?  Any one have a link or pic to get me started?Thanks, Ed

113844[/snapback]

Sorry Ed,

Something unexpected came up. I will post pictures of large & small hot wire cutters tonight; for sure. I always have more stuff than I can handle. I will also post remainder of header & molded cowling pictures. :) :) :)

Jim

No problem Jim no rush and as far as having too much on one plate, well I think most of us need a bigger platter! :lol:

Thanks, and once again guys great info!

I took a pice of electical conduint made it wide enough to cut thru the 12 inch bouys smashed the ends drilled ahole for a screw in each end to attach wire hooked up a drop cord with a swich on it then for power source i used my 12 6amp battery charger cut 40 bouys in 10 minutes

Like I said in the other discussion about foam cutters, check out Micro-Mark www.micromark.com

They have various cutters, nichrome wire, even a "hot knife" for carving foam.

They sell .020 dia wire

Last edited by a moderator:
Back