Next generation R/C Radios

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Slideblues

What do you think the next bunch of radios will have as far as features and improvements? Anything you would like to see different?

Slide 8)

Have you been peeking? The new JR XR-3i and the new Futaba are loaded to the gills. I have a JR XR-3 and that thing has more features that I know what to do with. My question is, how much do we really need? I need a faster 3rd channel adjustment on my radio, it's way too slow.

faster third channel??

i guess im still in the stone age!!

technology for me is putting grip tape on my 50$ attack 2-ER!! ;D ;D ;D

My local dealer never orders the new stuff till its been out for a while and then he only stocks the hot sellers. Guess the thing I would like to see on my Futaba is a cover of some sort over the servo trims so I would quit bumping them and changing the settings. Any of the other brands have something like that?

Slide 8)

Does anyone have or heard of the new 3PK that will replace the 3PJ PCM pistols. They are not very expensive, but their response range and performance are much better.

They look wild too. I will get one for next season.

Super High Response is the next generation. Totally digital.

Must be used with digital servos

Hammer

That's the baby! I've seen it before, but I haven't looked at it closely. Is the 3rd channel pot in a more convenient than the 3PJ?

Hammer

The JR-R1 has twice the features of the XR-3!! can hold 10 models in the memory and is PCM,

the 3rd channel is twice as fast as the xr3 which has 300 clicks end to end, the R1 has around the 100 mark.

Dale

what about the miltiplex transmitters? the guys at my lhs say they are the best:

tx_profi_car.jpg

http://www.multiplexrc.com/tx_profi_car.htm :eek:

For many years, I have been fortunate enough to be sponsored by Futaba. Futaba is a good radio and there are many other fine radio systems as well.

Last summer the technical writer preparing the operation manual for the new Futaba 3PK contacted me regarding what needed to be included in the manual for model boaters. This presented me with an interesting situation. I probably use 10% of the capability of my 3PJS. The model memory feature is great and I like the third channel for onboard mixture control. The other features I use - servo reverse, servo trim, and rate for the rudder are available on the less expensive Futaba Magnum, Jr. After reading my responses to the questions presented regarding the operation's manual, the technical writer probably thought, "Jeez, and we give this guy radios??!!"

Doing product reviews for RC Boat Modeler, product development for major model model distributors, and just helping guys with their boats has allowed me to try a variety of radio systems. I find I drive just as well with a basic 2-channel system as I do with my 3PJS. In my opinion, the biggest upgrades in recent years has been the development of more powerful servos.

However, I will say radio systems have come a long way since I bought my first 3-channel reed system back in 1965. How many of you guys reading this post ever operated a model boat using a reed transmitter? Hell, probably half you guys weren't even born by 1965!!

Jerry Dunlap

Jerry,

it's a comforting thought that im not going to have to shell out THAT much for a race-quality radio soon :D , judging by what you said abou the basic radios not giving much advatage to the really advanced ones....... which transmitter [i've already got decent servos and reciever] would you recommend for racing on a budget of maybe 120-150$ [for the transmitter, not racing in general]?? also, how much better for racing are pistol-grips?? the only ones i've used didn't really give much advantage over my little 2-ER, except that the turning was smoother.

wow that 3pk looks wild :eek: can they do a version with built in radargun you could easilly read the display ;)

TomM, the multiplex are very nice i have one for my endurance boat (as you would call it) 'the only problem is the nasty 3rd channel button wich is behind the steering wheel and is not programmable to other keys.

I really like driving that transmitter just not in a race where you can't take you hand of the steering wheel to do the mixture.

perhapse: does anybody know how to re-route this transmitter to make the thumbroller the 3rd channel? perhapse there are some good electricians out there.

Tom v.d Brink

This is a very nice 3 ch. radio, The sticks have some advantages over wheels.

-MikeP

This is Cool!!!! lots of choices, and features to choose from,

Seems like there is a lot of radio's for around the 150 to 165 dollar mark.

Slide 8)

Laxmasta,

I really believe anyone serious about r/c boat racing needs a three channel radio for mixture.

However, if setting a needle-valve is a skill you've developed then a two channel radio with at least the features of the Futaba Magnum Junior will meet all the other racing needs - just my opinion.

Wheel or stick?? I started with sticks and switched to a wheel. Several of our very best model boaters in District 8 will only race with a stick transmitter. It's basically what you feel most comfortable with when running your model boat.

Jerry Dunlap

In Japan, most of the boaters use the FF7 or FF8, I have no idea why. They just like to have the top of the line radio for the sake of saying so. I use a 3PJ right now. Like Jerry said, I only use about 10 percent of the functions. It is better than the FM over here, because the airwaves are polluted. We get stray stuff from Korea, China, and Russia. I think PCM is the only choice over here. The 3PK doesn't seem like it has PCM with the High Response model. After some research, I found out that it is available in PCM without the high response. Since that is the case, I will stick with my 3PJ. I'm used to it, so there is no reason to change radios, just because of the looks.

Hammer

i've always had wheel.... but like jerry said some of the best racers use sticks..... makes me really wonder? I think i like to give sticks a whirl but it seems a digital/programable stick radio is nearly impossible to find. in both 75mhz and under like $300

Jerry,

from what i heard n this post it's really a matter of preference [sticks vs. pistol] so i'll probably stick to my 2-ER untill i can afford a nice three-channel digital, and can't wait to see what happens when i start racing "big time" [as opposed to local] in IMPBA or NAMBA and line up against someone toting something like those in the pics below...... ;D ;D

some of the best racers i know use radios that are pretty old! the winner is not the one who spends the most money!

Latest posts

Back