Newton Marine plans Info

Intlwaters

Help Support Intlwaters:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ub Hauled

I am am pretty green when it comes to building a boat from scratch, I was wondering if you guys can tell me how hard it is to build one of the plans from Newton Marine...

all relevant inputs are very welcome as I plan to buy a set of plans (if I think I can build it right).

Thanks in advance

I am am pretty green when it comes to building a boat from scratch, I was wondering if you guys can tell me how hard it is to build one of the plans from Newton Marine...

all relevant inputs are very welcome as I plan to buy a set of plans (if I think I can build it right).

Thanks in advance
Your new to building from scratch, but presume you are not new to boating. Scatch building can be very rewarding in that you will build each and every piece of your new creation with your own hands. How difficult is it? Assuming you have been boating for a while and you know what it takes to build and trim a scale boat to perfection, then the process is not that difficult as you can visualize the end result, you then simply build to what you desire the outcome to be. If the hows and why's you build things in such a manner are greek to you, I would suggest getting your hands on a copy of Don Mocks instructional video/DVD off of the RC Unlimited website and watch it, it will answer most of your questions. To answer all your questions I would suggest talking with other scale builders in your district, get to know them, understand their boats and the why's they chose to build in a certain direction. Once you gain a comfort level in what your desired outcome is, pick your plans, buy the wood and start the process that will take you anywhere from 1 to 20 years to complete, depending on your commitment to the project. On average if you commit a reasonable time to building the process start to finish could take you 1 - 3 years, the shorter time if your a building freak and the longer if you have a life outside of boating. Get your hands on the video, talk to other boaters, you will find they all love to talk about their latest creations, sometimes endlessly.

Greg

Just be aware that depending on what hull you decide to build it may need to be modified to run correctly. Roger drew this to be scale and because of that some of the sponson dimensions would be too narrow to run correctly at scale. Look around your area and get opinions and help in the planning stages. Greg is right, it is very rewarding to build from scratch and see it run for the first time....

Good luck...

Just be aware that depending on what hull you decide to build it may need to be modified to run correctly. Roger drew this to be scale and because of that some of the sponson dimensions would be too narrow to run correctly at scale. Look around your area and get opinions and help in the planning stages. Greg is right, it is very rewarding to build from scratch and see it run for the first time....

Good luck...

Good call, on the sponsons...

I plan on getting a 1990 "Lobster" and run under NAMBAs jurisdiction.

Building can be fun, but I wouldn't start with the "Lobster" boat. The "Lobster" is very similar to a rigger in many respects and can be a bear to set up. Start with one of the Plan 108 hulls as they are the easiest to build and set up. Just be sure to have the cowling in hand before you get too far on the build. One thing I'm curious about is why the "Lobster"?

Building can be fun, but I wouldn't start with the "Lobster" boat. The "Lobster" is very similar to a rigger in many respects and can be a bear to set up. Start with one of the Plan 108 hulls as they are the easiest to build and set up. Just be sure to have the cowling in hand before you get too far on the build. One thing I'm curious about is why the "Lobster"?
It's a very attractive boat to me, i have a glass version that's about 30" long and I love her.

Why do you ask?

It's a very attractive boat to me, i have a glass version that's about 30" long and I love her.

Why do you ask?
I've known many people that had that boat. Some because they liked the rigger aspect, others because of it's so different from the rest of the fleet. Was just curious why you sounded like you had to have that boat

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Lohring and Phil,

I know Phil has the Lobster, I went to his website many times to check her out.

I just don't have that kind of RC allocated money... very unfortunately, hens checking out other options.

This hull is one of the nicest hull IMO... I never get tired of staring at her.

Okay how about this. David Newton is running a sale NEXT Friday. Go over to his website and find another boat that you like and order both. Leave the Lobster alone until you get the first one up and running. I stand by my 108 recommendation, though the 77-81 Atlas (plan 123) might be a viable option as well

Thanks Lohring and Phil,

I just don't have that kind of RC allocated money... very unfortunately, hens checking out other options.

Well whatever you plan to do. I have the cowl for the Winston and those other boats soon too.

Okay Phil, do you have a cowl for the 81 Budweiser Light and 82 Prodelco? How about the 75 Weisfields? I'll be needing one or the other in the not too distant future.

Thanks Lohring and Phil,

Well whatever you plan to do. I have the cowl for the Winston and those other boats soon too.

Thanks Phil, coul you please PM me how much for the complete Lobster and the S/H to 91104 please?

thank you

Thank you for the plug for my sale Mark. Just as Mark said I will have 30% off all stock at www.newtonmarine.com next friday, which is Black Friday. Let me know if you have any questions about a build, my email is [email protected]

Thank you for the plug for my sale Mark. Just as Mark said I will have 30% off all stock at www.newtonmarine.com next friday, which is Black Friday. Let me know if you have any questions about a build, my email is [email protected]
Darn, he caught me :) We have to keep you busy some how, don't we David? considering it's almost "Turkey Day", I doubt you're building any boats this winter :rolleyes:

I stand corrected, he is building another boat :eek:

Any one have any tips to modifying the Newton 108 plan, or should I just follow the plan?

I'm interested in things like sponson riding surface angle, bottom angle, break location, overall length

tunnel width etc I'd like to learn more about air trap sponsons. I see a sorts of different designs but not much info on

the science behind them.

Thanks, brent

I'd start with a stock build. If you start to experiment with the first try, you have no benchmark to judge changes against. Plan 108 is a good running design. So good, in fact, that one came in second place in the R/C Unlimiteds season high points race. Which boat are you going to be building?

Thanks Lohring and Phil,

Thanks Phil, coul you please PM me how much for the complete Lobster and the S/H to 91104 please?

thank you
Dont remember if I responded to you inquiry,

My winston is modded to run better than the one built from the plans. It is a good boat but more trouble to build than other scale hydros .I did real well with my boat and it has set a oval record too.

Shipping is about $30 or less

If you want to get one let me know

Did you order any plan yet?

One thing I did to the Atlas is make the sponson angle lower to 3 degree. it still needs weight to keep it on the water it has alot of lift.

Checkout some other of my boats too. I have the 92-94 Winston and Smokin Joes boat almost ready to go for a kit too.

PHIL T

http://www.metimeliverc.com/HobbyShop/PhilThomasHydros/tabid/236/Default.aspx

Back